Jace, Zy, Vess, Ava, Nissa, Koth, & Phoenix -->R.I.P. Sorin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me:
My name is Liz. Some of you may have seen my past thread and recent posts on here lately. I'm 23 years old and I'm currently living with my grandparents. My boyfriend, who still lives at home as well, Paul, helps me care for and love these adorable terrors. I'm finishing up my last semester of school, my graduation date being somewhere in March. I work at the USPS as a letter carrier full time, I continue to do so after I graduate as well. Now, onto the more interesting features in my life and that ones everyone really wants to hear about, my reptiles.

Jace:
Technically, Jace was not my first bearded dragon. Originally I had Kamajii, named after the boiler man from Spirited Away. Unfortunately, he suffered from epileptic seizures and I had to return him. I was very new to the reptile world and I wasn't ready to make that kind of commitment just yet for my first time. He and the other beardie that suffered from epileptic seizures were eventually adopted out to a really nice family who knew what they were doing. That, however, left me with Jace. He was a feisty bugger right from the start, pretty sure I bought him right before he hit puberty. After a lot of working with him, however, he is now my love bug and adores me, or at least he makes me think he does. He's two years old and has just gotten over his URI. Currently he is 19" and 490g.

2lhlmJ7.jpg

0VMCsDo.jpg

HlqmWPS.jpg

o5lTI32.jpg

KoGXALc.jpg

rIxENPQ.jpg

lwhsPZU.jpg

DxCpENU.jpg

EGHXRN4.jpg

Zy:
Zy was my second beardie, but not my second reptile, actually she was my third if I remember correctly. She's a leatherback and was a Valentine's Day gift from Paul. Currently she is18.5"", 492g, and just turned two. The biggest problem I have with her is that she refuses to poop anywhere except on my carpet. And she will only poop on my carpet if I'm present. If it's just Paul, nope, nothing. If it's just me or both of us, she goes to town laying the biggest poops. She's always been very sweet. She hasn't black bearded ever, only puffs out to stretch her beard. And the only time she's ever bitten was from my hand feeding her greens. She's all mouth when it comes to eating.

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/u499O5D.jpg)
[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/yDfuYnJ.jpg)
[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/bYWoOnz.jpg)
YTrzM96.jpg

0xynAWL.jpg

CocPE2m.jpg

vocpzEE.jpg

0ceBOWX.jpg

R.I.P. Sorin
Sorin was my third bearded dragon who unfortunately had to be put to sleep. Here's the link to his memorial page that tells his story: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=212505. We miss him so much and today I picked up his ashes. I forgot to ask about the plaster paw print, if they were able to get one from him. I'll have to call and ask about it tomorrow. I spent the ride back, talking to him, telling him of all the things I've missed about him, of the good times, of the new baby and asking for his blessing. I love you, Sor-Bor. He was a whopping 20" and 569g.

E31OQ8Z.jpg

PzkIusK.jpg

sfirfYM.jpg

8FunWd3.jpg

3lfdlme.jpg

G2ofJSb.jpg

FZuDfsU.jpg

mRhvAPM.jpg

HFu9OZu.jpg

axvUBIb.jpg

8KVtnJD.jpg

Vess:
She's our newest member, we just picked her up tonight, actually. She's from Paul's coworker who has four bearded dragons but do to financial reasons, had to rehome two of them. Less was bought from an online breeder: Rainbow Bearded Dragons. He's a year and two months old and still a baby. He had her in a 10g viv and fed her only enough to not starve, but not enough to grow so she has a lot of catching up to do and looks so small in the 40g viv. We're hoping with a lot of food and proper care, she'll get right back onto growing and be as big as she was supposed to be. Will have to weigh and measure her tomorrow.

kZn5CNO.jpg

rTQrg2I.jpg

Er9xR8e.jpg

5WBsCu5.jpg

anEdook.jpg

Ava:
Ava was our first leopard gecko and her birthday will actually be in a couple of days. She'll be two years old. She's special needs, there's a chance she might have the enigma syndrome. Here's a link to a report on it if anyone is curious as to what the enigma syndrome is: http://www.freewebs.com/grinninggecko/enigmasyndromestudy.htm. Unfortunately it's rather sad. Other than, she seems to be doing well enough. She doesn't grow or gain much weight, but she is always, ALWAYS shedding.

uhE7jim.jpg

6CbJXWf.jpg

IUdNw8r.jpg

MY7y2T1.jpg

wVaEHEP.jpg

bzUqPIW.jpg

g169RXW.jpg

Nissa:
Nissa was our first baby to choose us. I was walking in Petco, very dangerous, I know, and for the first time ever, a leopard gecko was glass dancing at me. I've never seen one ever pay me any attention before as Ava became Paul's. I knew then I had to get her so the next day I came home with Nissa. She's such a doll and gets into so much mischief. She'll be two years old in March.

tZK28mv.jpg

8hrU3to.jpg

8asSCgF.jpg

w5sa9So.jpg

M3gHTtW.jpg

Kqq7K2g.jpg

386RMyL.jpg

0sllkEe.jpg

qn9hbCt.jpg

Koth:
Koth was our second and last baby to choose us. He was in a small, overcrowded cage at Petco (the same one that Sorin came from). Originally we were looking at rescuing a different one, but he woke up, crawled on top of all of the sleep leos and walked right up to us as if to say: "I'm your only choice." Of course, when he got home, he looked everywhere for the first week for the other leos. He couldn't believe that he had a place of his own and he is such a champ.

qWNAlTK.jpg

kBB7iM2.jpg

AQBbMAq.jpg

n0gEAOs.jpg

Cc5FIFh.jpg

w8q2r2J.jpg

iOA9sbB.jpg

Ub445hl.jpg

1SZOsRy.jpg

Phoenix:
He was probably the worst off from any of our rescues. He came from a different pet store chain entirely, the one that is the bane of my existence, Dave's Soda and Pet Food City. How I loathe that man, let me count the ways. I would rather work at Petco and follow their rules than even be in a mile radius of this store. It. Is. Disgusting. And when I tried to report it, nothing happened. Phoenix is a true fire skink and was horribly miscalled for to put it mildly. When I saw him, I honestly thought he was told and told one of the employees. They woke him up to prove to me he wasn't. My response? That's good, I'll take him. Honestly, that first week we brought him home, we weren't sure if he was going to make it. The night we bought him we went to Petco to buy supplies and one of the employees there was APPALLED by his appearance. Anyways, we've now nursed him back to health. He's guess to be a year and three months old. And he is such a sweet and gentle soul, so fun to be around.

mMvJay3.jpg

Fxi4Ibb.jpg

ezdry3L.jpg

jOjWU8O.jpg

a6S1UjG.jpg

eFM2shp.jpg

jsVkKr1.jpg

AZrO9B6.jpg

0gK643R.jpg

That's it for now.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So happy to hear that Vess is doing so well & loved the roaches. She will be putting wt on very soon for sure. :) She sounds a little spoiled already. :love10:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
There may be the possibility that Vess won't brumate, because she knows she needs to eat, which is actually a good thing.

Now that she found a love for roaches, perhaps you could get rid of the pesky stinky crickets :)

Oh, so little miss diva already knows how to get your attention, huh? What a smart gal ;)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So a diva, is she? Lucky you :lol: And she loves roaches? She'll be growing lots very soon. No, I don't think she'll brumate, either, she needs to eat and grow.

Hopefully Jace and Zy stay that way for the winter, it's so hard to know what each one will do any given year. Leo is sleeping longer than usual, have to haul him out every 2 wks for a bath, normally he only sleeps a few days, then up a few days, so this winter is strange for me, too. Didi is also very sleepy but has to stay under his light (at least I keep it on). Gabriel is still up in the am, but he's sleeping very early in the day (on the ramp, of course). Puff laid another egg this am, so not sure if she's done, so she's eating a bit but not in the least sleepy. Lonzo just sleeps under his light, too. Such a strange winter!

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Diane:
She's for sure already putting on the weight. She came to us at 34g and is now 41g. She's still 20g behind what I'd like to see, but she'll get their.

Gina:
I really hope that you're right and she doesn't brumate. That would be horrifying.

The crickets are already gone, thank goodness. They were starting to make my bedroom smell (was keeping them next to my radiator at night so they wouldn't die over night).

She's a pain in my butt, but I love her. She reminds me so much of Jace when he was a baby. I was hoping she would be more like Sorin, but it's probably for the best so I don't end up spending my life (and her's) comparing her to a beardie she could never be. I mean, even though she acts like Jace, I know she'll never be him. But if she were to act like Sorin... I don't know how I would handle it, so it's probably for the best in the long run.

Deb:
First off as I have said on FB and on your thread, I am so sorry for your loss. Lonzo lived to be a great age, an age he probably would have never reached had it not been for you. You were both blessed to have each other in your lives.

She's a total diva and yes, she loves roaches. Imagine the diva babies she would have with Didi!

I wonder if the different weather patterns that have been occurring also effect how they brumate. Jace usually ends up under his hammock as soon as he's ready to sleep which is usually pretty early. He likes to eat then go to sleep. Have to keep putting his lazy bum on the hammock so he can digest before sleeping. He also spends the first hour/two hours running around like a maniac. Zy's been all right about staying on her basking spot and digesting, but sometimes she will leave it and go to her tree to sleep on and keep out of the light.

Update:
I've been having the strangest feeling lately. Since Sorin has passed away, it's almost like his life is a dream to me, if that makes any sense. He had been with me for such a fleeting time, that looking back on his life with us feels so surreal, as if it didn't happen. I feel terrible for thinking that way, but I can't help it. I miss my Sor-bor.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Liz, I would imagine you will be having lots of unfamiliar thoughts and feelings about Sorin. Please don't feel bad about any of them. At times like these your mind will travel lots of places, some good, some uncomfortable, but all normal and okay. It's okay to sleep with his things still.
I'm sending you love and positive thoughts. (Drat. There's no hug smilie)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Hey Liz long time no talk...lol.

Sorry for your loss on Sorin.

I sleep with Vash's pillow pet since he
passed away...I can't give it to the
new baby... I want to but at the same time
I can't.

I had weird thoughts and dreams of my old man
when he passed on so you're not the only one.
I still can't believe old man is gone only been a few
months now. He died September 25. He has been with
me through my teen years since May 21, 2004. So I do
understand how it feels to have your mind go through so
much at this time.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hi Liz, you will feel like that about Sorin and lots of other feelings, too. I still can't look at Rubio's pictures without tearing up, yet didn't feel that way about Titan or now Lonzo. Titan because I'd only had him for a few months before he became ill and Lonzo because he lived such a long life, I knew it was a relief for him to sleep. Now he's with Roger and his brothers and sisters, which makes me happy in a way, but so sad in others. I had him for 6 1/2 yrs, adopted him when he was 5 yrs old. In fact his old owner contacted me & send me pics of him as a baby, which was really nice.

Vess is doing so well to have gained that much weight on crickets (nasty creatures, aren't they. I only have to get them for my geckos, thank goodness!) she's going to gain even more weight on roaches! It's a great think to watch a little bit of a thing do so much better with you. Wonder how much she'll grow by the time she's 2. It's hard to see her as a year old already, she's so tiny.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Deb:
Thanks.

It will definitely be an interesting adventure with Vess, not a dull moment, that's for sure.

Update:
I just finished an 11 hour work shift. Will someone please put me out of my misery?

Vess seems to be more curious about her old furintures' rearrangement than in her new hammock. Such is the way with kids, I suppose.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That's a great idea, Esther!

And I'm sure you're heading for a very entertaining time with Vess :D

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Vess is so cute! Love her name!

I know how you feel about the surreal feeling... I felt the same about Oliver after he died.
I’ve had dreams about picking him up, and cuddling him, him looking up at me with that curious look he’s always had, and I’ll just wake up crying.
There’s nothing like losing a beardie, or another pet. Their like family, and when their gone, it’s like a piece of your heart went with them.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh Hoopy, you're so right, they never leave your heart, even. I've lost 3 beardies this year and it's taken me a long time to grieve. But they're forever in my heart, where they belong.

I know Liz feels the same way as you do and I do.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Esther:
Too bad it's too cold for ice cream. :lol:

Deb:
She ceases to amaze me. Congratz on your new little man entering you life, by the way.

Hoopy:
Thanks for stopping by.

I curled up with Sorin's hammock wrapped around the towel we took him to the vet in for the last time. I fell asleep crying into it for the first few nights.

Update:
Jace and Zy:
They both have URI now. I'm going to call the vet's office and ask them to make up another round of the antibiotics. Might have to wait until Wednesday when my vet is actually in. She might let me get by without having to take Zy in. If we take Zy in, it will cost more. I'll call tomorrow though and ask just in case. The sooner the better.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, so sorry to hear they both have URI's. Hope they can get treatment and feel better very quickly.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So do I, those RIs can be so stubborn & can take a treatment or two to get rid of. Glad you saw the signs right away, but such a drag it's both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom