It's too early to be stressed!

So like clockwork, Rocky wakes up and I put him in his enclosure to start his daily basking. I moved the lighting yesterday and this morning it would not cut on. It's the UVB bulb. I have 3 additional back up bulbs, no problem, until NONE OF THEM WORK. What in the world? Okay, don't panic. Rocky now sees his basking light on so at any moment I know that he's going to want to get in.
I take a moment, I put him in and calm myself down. I check the plugs....3 plugs later....nothing.
No store is open as it's 5am. Rocky is looking up like, "Something isn't right"- I'm saying, "I knowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!"
I lightly turn the bulb, flip it, I didn't know what was happening.
After a miraculous moment - it worked! Okay, now I have to take Rocky out of his enclosure, I put him back in his bed, he is running around the bed trying to get to his enclosure- I'm saying, "get back."
I don't know what happened, but I am so grateful things worked out!

My lesson- as many bulbs as I have, I was not prepared if my fixture went out! It's always something:oops::rolleyes:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I hope I covered everything because Rocky started standing on his hind legs and scratching the side walls...:banghead:he pooped and apparently I didn't move quick enough to remove it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm guessing your fixture is a ZooMed.
Ive had friggen 4 of them fail since January. One was dead straight out of the box. I have since switched all mine over to the Arcadia and so far so good.
P.s. You know the poop is bad when they panic to get away from it lol.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Ive had friggen 4 of them fail since January. One was dead straight out of the box. I have since switched all mine over to the Arcadia and so far so good.
Once again, you are right !!! 4- wow. I thought about arcadia and using it with my old aquarium light fixture (if it's possible). That was a 40 gallon fixture I think it will cover too much of the enclosure. Therefore, I will have to purchase a new fixture and lights as opposed to just the light. But in the meantime, look at your buddy, he said he wants to model. I keep trying to get the money shot with his eyes closed as he relaxes but you know the drill, camera out- eyes open and when he truly gets sick of me you get the results in the picture!!!

Attachments

• 9.10.22.jpg
    9.10.22.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 72
  • heart.jpg
    heart.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I think he could do pin ups lol. They seem to have an innate sence to know exactly when to move to spoil a shot. It takes me at least a bazillion shots to get 1 good one lol.
All 4 of the ZooMed lights that failed were bought since January also, it wasn't like they were old lights.
If you can find the right length for your hood it should work, but it really should have a reflector if it doesn't, you might could pull the 1 out of your old fixture and reuse it. I think the problems with the ZooMed are the fixture itself, so if your bulbs fit your old fixture that would probably be ok.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I think he could do pin ups lol. They seem to have an innate sence to know exactly when to move to spoil a shot. It takes me at least a bazillion shots to get 1 good one lol.
All 4 of the ZooMed lights that failed were bought since January also, it wasn't like they were old lights.
If you can find the right length for your hood it should work, but it really should have a reflector if it doesn't, you might could pull the 1 out of your old fixture and reuse it. I think the problems with the ZooMed are the fixture itself, so if your bulbs fit your old fixture that would probably be ok.
What would I ever do without you?!!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Both Zoo Med and Arcadia have had issues the past couple of months w/ the fixtures --- I think it was depending on the batch that it came from on both manufacturers -- it was weird --- I had several people having issues w / them depending on where they had ordered them from

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Both Zoo Med and Arcadia have had issues the past couple of months w/ the fixtures --- I think it was depending on the batch that it came from on both manufacturers -- it was weird --- I had several people having issues w / them depending on where they had ordered them from
Ugh! this isn't good, thanks for letting me know. This is also concerning as we are heading into the cooler months (in the East Coast) and losing more day light. Wishing
working fixtures to all for all seasons!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
......40 hours later,:blob5: hiding behind a lamp on my knees and as quiet as I can be LOL Oh and obviously zooming in...here's the shot!

Attachments

• 20220910_141510.jpg
    20220910_141510.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 69

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ugh! this isn't good, thanks for letting me know. This is also concerning as we are heading into the cooler months (in the East Coast) and losing more day light. Wishing
working fixtures to all for all seasons!
It happens -- are you looking at replacing fixtures ?

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
It happens -- are you looking at replacing fixtures ?
It's working now but it freaked me out. Don't tell @xp29 but I just bought the solar meter. Oh and those cards to measure the output. I was thinking of replacing it only because this morning really scared me...heaven forbid Rocky go without his UVB...I'd tag you so much they'd kick me off this site. I am aware that they can go some time but I know it wouldn't work. As soon as I put Rocky under the basking, he looked up towards where the UVB light would be as if something wasn't right (and it wasn't).
Of course, I am open to your advice as well. I have the 4x2x2 enclosure still and plan to stay with it.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Lastly...I have the reptile lamp stand for when Rocky is out of his enclosure...if anyone has a suggestion on how I can use that for a UVB not just basking, that would be great. I do not use coils so I am not interested in the double domes for coiled lights.

While I don't think there are many, this is the lamp stand that I have....https://www.amazon.com/BETAZOOER-Reptile-Adjustable-Hanging-Terrarium/dp/B09PH515WJ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=25NPJ7WPCIR0L&keywords=reptile+stand&qid=1662838119&sprefix=reptile+stan%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-3

Oops mods- I have a feeling this post is going to be moved to lighting now...

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Lastly...I have the reptile lamp stand for when Rocky is out of his enclosure...if anyone has a suggestion on how I can use that for a UVB not just basking, that would be great. I do not use coils so I am not interested in the double domes for coiled lights.

Oops mods- I have a feeling this post is going to be moved to lighting now...
CooperDragon uses MVB for outside the tank-- take Rocky outside for good UVB -- 15 min -30 would be good- do that everyday or other and he will be fine ---

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
......40 hours later,:blob5: hiding behind a lamp on my knees and as quiet as I can be LOL Oh and obviously zooming in...here's the shot!
Wow he looks quite regal, thats a really good shot!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I know Cooperdragon has done a ton of testing on different lights, i agree with Karrieree, hit him up to get his recommendation.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom