Issue keeping ambient temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulitlana

Original Poster
I am having a light issue keeping my ambient temperature for my juvi/baby bearded dragon warm enough during the day without using a CHE centered about in the middle of the tank.

The highest ambient temp I have gotten on my warm side is about 86 using a 100 watt CHE. My basking temp surfaces range from 100 - 110 F, so that has been okay, the cool side of my tank is usually about 78. I am using a 75 gallon glass aquarium without a lid but covered with towels and blankets for most of the tank to try and trap the warmth in. I have a T8 currently, hanging with twine, on the inside of my tank so there is enough UVB while I wait on a T5 Pro12% kit to be shipped in this week. I also have a 100 watt basking bulb that I keep up pretty high because right now the fixture it is in from arcadia only has an on and off switch, no dimmer, so if I have it at a normal height it makes the basking spot too hot.

I mostly see everywhere that CHEs are for night time use only, but I have been having to use it around the clock to keep the air warm enough, and at night I have it at half power with most of the tank covered because I haven't had a chance to observe night temps. We live in an old house and keep it at 69 minimum but even morning temps have been in the 40s recently, and with our thermostat in the hallway I believe our front rooms stay colder than the 69 minimum.

I have a hinging mesh lid and while its not optimal I am hoping to be able to line it with foil and cut out spots of foil for my lights so they can be on top of the tank. With the stronger bulb and the UVB meter I got I am hoping I will be able to make sure there is enough UVB even with the mesh, so I can solve the heat escape problem modifying the mesh lid with the foil. I also have a stand that I am waiting on so my tank wont have to be on the floor, hoping that will help as well for sure.

Is it acceptable to continue to use a CHE during the day to keep those temps until I get this set up going to hold in the heat?

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
well you need to keep the temps high enough so you got to do what you got to do. But emitters snuff out humidity so make sure your humidity levels are not to low. but you can add water bowl for this issue. so you say your keeping the basking bulb high? do you have a stand to hang it? stands are great if you have two stands keep the emitter and bask bulb a good distance so its not to intense for the dragon. Is there anyway for you to get space heater or something to warm the room the dragon is in? I am currently using a che in middle of my tank along with my bulb because i live in a fifth wheel why i build my house and all i have is a little heater it dips into the 50s in there at night. But i have the emitter set real low on a Herpstat thermostat. I've had to add a water dish to keep the humidity up though. We currently live in arkansas and never dealt with the cold like this we are from California

Last edited:

Sulitlana

Original Poster
well you need to keep the temps high enough so you got to do what you got to do. But emitters snuff out humidity so make sure your humidity levels are not to low. but you can add water bowl for this issue. so you say your keeping the basking bulb high? do you have a stand to hang it? stands are great if you have two stands keep the emitter and bask bulb a good distance so its not to intense for the dragon. Is there anyway for you to get space heater or something to warm the room the dragon is in? I am currently using a che in middle of my tank along with my bulb because i live in a fifth wheel why i build my house and all i have is a little heater it dips into the 50s in there at night. But i have the emitter set real low on a Herpstat thermostat. I've had to add a water dish to keep the humidity up though. We currently live in arkansas and never dealt with the cold like this we are from California
Sorry for late reply, been a crazy week so far. Temps have been better. The emitter the past few days have been a good thing, hour house humidity levels wanna stay at like 51 percent and at night it tends to rocket so I have been struggling with that.

I do have a stand for my light but I am also looking to attach a controller to it cause right now I have it hanging on a stand on top of a box as not to have 120+ basking temps

lol. Now I am struggling with humidity so I am looking for a dehumidifier and hoping once I get a controller for the basking lamp I can turn it down, but move it closer so it gets more of the ambient heat from the lamp possibly? Also hoping that will help with the humidity lol.

Thanks for your response by the way sorry its been so long.❤️🙏

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't worry too much about humidity. If the room doesn't feel really humid to you, then it's probably fine. It's typical for the humidity to spike a bit at night when the lights are off too. They can handle a pretty wide range of humidity in general so I don't tend to bother with measuring it. If you do measure it, I suggest making sure that your hygrometer is calibrated so you're getting a relatively accurate reading. This can be done with some salt water and a bag. There are how to videos for doing this, generally related to cigars - they calibrate hygrometers for their humidors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom