Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxymiocysu

Original Poster
I got a couple Philips Halogen PAR38 72w flood lights and tested them on a Flukers 8.5" 150w max dimmable dome. The fixture states not to use a light higher than 75w with the dimmer function, so these bulbs are compatible with the fixture. They work fine, no flickering or anything. But I noticed they make a very quiet humming or ringing sound when dimmed that isn't present when the bulb is receiving full power.

Tl;dr - halogen bulbs make quiet humming/ringing sound when dimmed.

Is this normal or should I be concerned? Is it harmful to a bearded dragons hearing?

Oxymiocysu

Original Poster
Here’s what I’ve been using lately. Mine are in a melamine enclosure and holds heat really well and from about 12 inches up from basking area the temperatures are 100 give or take.
Thanks! I'll have a look at them.

I've noticed that it varies between bulbs. I've used the Philips version of the PAR38 flood and don't remember if it was buzzing much, but it burnt out quickly so I didn't go back to that brand. I do remember the ZooMed Repti Basking spot making a pretty loud buzz. The GE PAR38 tends to work pretty quietly, and the Westinghouse BR40 (incandescent) dims pretty well (and quietly too).
Is there any one bulb in particular that you would recommend for use on a dimmer?

I try to get ones that are closer to daylight 6500k rather than the "warmer" colors, but have tried a bunch of different bulbs and not seen much reaction either way from my dragon as long as the lumens are strong/bright and the heat is in the preferred range.
I've read that there are some kelvins you should avoid using with dragons, but I don't know the validity of it. Something about blue tints hurting their eyes? Do you have any comments on that matter?

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
I got a couple Philips Halogen PAR38 72w flood lights and tested them on a Flukers 8.5" 150w max dimmable dome. The fixture states not to use a light higher than 75w with the dimmer function, so these bulbs are compatible with the fixture. They work fine, no flickering or anything. But I noticed they make a very quiet humming or ringing sound when dimmed that isn't present when the bulb is receiving full power.

Tl;dr - halogen bulbs make quiet humming/ringing sound when dimmed.

Is this normal or should I be concerned? Is it harmful to a bearded dragons hearing?
A dimmer is acually a means of restricting the electricity from the power source to the fixture. So you are hearing the restriction of electricity and will not have any effect on your baby.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't have a specific recommendation because every setup seems to get different results between fixtures and bulbs. The GE PAR38 halogen flood and the Westinghouse BR40 incandescent are good places to start though. I've had luck with both. The less you have to dim the bulb, the less noise it is likely to make though, so getting temps close with the right wattage and distance will make a big difference.

I've also read that blue light can be an issue, however I've read it as being tied to neodymium coatings rather than a specific kelvin level. I'm not sure how much validity there is to any of it though.

Oxymiocysu

Original Poster
The GE PAR38 halogen flood and the Westinghouse BR40 incandescent are good places to start though. I've had luck with both.
I'll keep those two in mind next time I go shopping for bulbs, thanks!

Have any of you had issues with halogens exploding? The thought scares me, even though I know that it probably won't happen if I handle them correctly.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've seen them crack and then I throw them out. The only one I've seen burst is a Satco incandescent I tried out several years ago. Was not fun to pick up the shards from the kitchen floor. Fortunately the bulb wasn't over the enclosure. I'd consider it possible, but very low risk given the number of bulbs I've used safely over the years.

Oxymiocysu

Original Poster
I've seen them crack and then I throw them out. The only one I've seen burst is a Satco incandescent I tried out several years ago. Was not fun to pick up the shards from the kitchen floor. Fortunately the bulb wasn't over the enclosure. I'd consider it possible, but very low risk given the number of bulbs I've used safely over the years.
Thank you, that helps ease my concerns haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom