Is your dragon sleeping too much, not eating enough? READ ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Ostrommaysi":1mhhooc1 said:
Being a first time beardie owner is amongst the most worrisome, frustrating, melo-dramatic mess that I can recall in my entire life. But it is also some of the most rewarding times as well. When he clings on to fall asleep on me I wouldn't trade it for all the care free existence in the world.

Why must they be so difficult and yet so endearing?

I totally agree! I don't think I stressed this much about my first child! Roll on spring i say :)

Reactions: Jes

rockgeek

Eddie is my first beardie too .... I've been worrying about him for a couple of weeks now, he's been sleeping most of the day and eating hardly any thing that I give him, this has reassured me slightly as I was worrying that I was doing something wrong. he's been up and about a fair bit this afternoon, but couldn't wait to get back into his viv to go back to sleep - I did manage to get a couple of photos though (hopefully one of which is attached to this!)

He's about 9 months old now, and 10 inches long, but has been missing half of his tail since I got him, so if he had that he'd be more like 13 / 14 inches I'd imagine.

I offer him fresh veg and crickets everyday and he's always got fresh water - he used to love all his veg but the only veg he seems to touch at all at the moment is red cabbage. He's still speedy catching his crickets but he doesn't eat many of them, then wanders off to go back to sleep. His eyes look bright and generally he seems well and happy running about the house when he is awake but I've been worried about the fact he seems to have lost a bit of weight recently. I did read somewhere you can tell if they are not healthy if their tails feel bony - Eddies doesn't feel bony at all, and is quite chunky, but I am still concerned as to whether this is normal.

The only reputable reptile store near me has moved to the other end of the country and I don't know who else to ask, so I have a couple of questions really :
1) does this sound like brumation?
2) is there anything else I can do to help him get some weight back on him?

ed.jpg

rockgeek

p.s. the colour in the photo is terrible due to the red lampshade in that room - he's more yellow and orange in real life!

Stycim

Whew! Thank you for this article. Like most everyone else, I've been really worried for the last week or so.

Growler is only 6 months old, but he's behaving exactly as described here. At first I thought he was just acting grumpy because he was going to shed again. It's definitely not like him to leave uneaten dubia's in his bowl!!! He's been ignoring all food, going to sleep earlier and taking more naps. Yesterday he got himself into a rock cave hide that he's never bothered with before. He's been there since yesterday afternoon and I'm pretty sure he hasn't been out at all today.

I miss my buddy already... hope he snaps out of it soon!

Screamin99

Juvie Member
I could be wrong, but I really do not think that a dragon that young would go through burmation at that age. You really might want to keep checking this out I know when my dragon was about 6 months old he was acting like he was trying to burmate at the end of January and he was really just overwhelmed with parasites.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Screamin99":15qnal69 said:
I could be wrong, but I really do not think that a dragon that young would go through burmation at that age. You really might want to keep checking this out I know when my dragon was about 6 months old he was acting like he was trying to burmate at the end of January and he was really just overwhelmed with parasites.
A dragon can go into brumation as early as 5 months old. it will all depend on growth rate and available food and how strong the natural pull to brumate is for that dragon. Though I will say that I would not allow any dragon of any age to brumate without frist having a fecal check ran by a qualified vet so you know that nothing sinister is going on.

Screamin99

Juvie Member
spyder79":stzycp7x said:
Screamin99":stzycp7x said:
A dragon can go into brumation as early as 5 months old. it will all depend on growth rate and available food and how strong the natural pull to brumate is for that dragon. Though I will say that I would not allow any dragon of any age to brumate without frist having a fecal check ran by a qualified vet so you know that nothing sinister is going on.

I highlighted your post. Lots of variables to weed through in trying to determine a positive yes or no answer. Im not saying your wrong, but the burmation article on this site and many of the others I have read all say the same things. Over a year or older.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/?page=3

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Screamin99":2uafs8ii said:
spyder79":2uafs8ii said:
Screamin99":2uafs8ii said:

I highlighted your post. Lots of variables to weed through in trying to determine a positive yes or no answer. Im not saying your wrong, but the burmation article on this site and many of the others I have read all say the same things. Over a year or older.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/?page=3

I have been breeding and keeping and researching dragons for over 10 years friend. In australia they are known to brumate as early as 4 months. Its a natural thing that happens when it happens. That article on brumation is a basic article and that is it. It does not go into every facet of dragon brumation or reptile brumation. You do not have to or need to believe me. I know what I know to be true. Just because this forum preaches something does not make it gospel.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I'm glad that pointing out that article has been helpful, I know not everyone looks at the articles on here and its a important one to read. That being said, I've only had 2 dragons brumate and I am not the one to ask for advice on the subject. If anyone is still concerned that it would be best of you make a post in the appropriate section ore seek out a vet.
Spyder is right though, dragon can brumate under a year old. My first dragon was barely 6 months when he brumated for the first time.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I hope my dragon is just trying to brumate. She was treated for parasites last month. I'm supposed to get a recheck but she's not eating again. Can you get a fecal done on just urates? She happily takes baths now.

All she wants to do is hide all day. Until I know for sure, should I just leave her alone, or get her out and try to get her to eat more?

kash666

I have a 9 month old beardie Esme and i think she may be brumating, she has always been a very heavy sleeper, but now she is spending most of her time in her log in the colder end of the tank, she is not eating hardly any greens, but is still eating any live food offered to her she has lost a little bit of weight but not to much, im keeping my eye on that and if it gets worse she is going to the vets. She is burrowing a heck of a lot pushing all the sand to the entrance of her log to kind of block the entrance, we are bathing her 3 times a week but i am going to increase that as she is not pooping regulaly like she should. I have a laxative from the vet from when she was struggling to poop a few months back after being on anitbiotics, and he said i can use that if she is not pooping regular BUT i dont want to use that just yet id rather let that be the last resort.

As a side note i have a 11 Monthh old beardie Alice who is in a seperate viv, as they didnt get on in the same viv and she is doing a little bit of burrowing and sleeping a little bit more but that is about it her appetite the same as ever and she is pooping regular. I know each beardie different.

Mark1998

I posted earlier in the ER section, but Felix is showing all of the signs listed for brumination, my big concern is over his age. He is probably only 7-8 months old, 14.5 inches, so I am worried this lack of energy and food is going to further stunt his growth. He looks heathly and since I turned off his compact UVB light he seems happy. Maybe he will perk up some with his ReptiSun 10.0 gets here in a couple of days. He is pooping regularly again - once a day like clockwork.
Right now he is eating only about half as many greens as he used to, maybe 1 or 2 Dubias every couple of days, but he will eat 4-5 supers every night. So I have been dusting the supers to make sure he gets calcium and vitamins. If this keeps up I will have to start selling Dubias or the tank will be overrun.
Keeping my fingers crossed that this is brumination...sure seems like it.

I too am a first time beardie owner. I don't know Po's exact age, but we think shes under a year old. She's 18 inches long.

She's been steadily eating less and less (from 60 crix a day as a hatchling to around 10) but though not loosing any weight. Her poops are around every 2 days. We've also noticed she has not shed in about 2 months. Her skin doesn't look like it's going to shed any time soon. She doesn't appear to be lethargic, but definatly....slower. Most of her time is spent basking and outside of her cage she likes to either explore or cuddle.

I'm not sure if this lack of shedding and slower metabolism is her setting up for brumation or her growth slowing as she enters sub-adulthood. Any thoughts?

5029869482_b7ababaf76_b.jpg

5126051828_f8a846d303_b.jpg

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
YoungMasterPo":dj1pphuw said:
I too am a first time beardie owner. I don't know Po's exact age, but we think shes under a year old. She's 18 inches long.

She's been steadily eating less and less (from 60 crix a day as a hatchling to around 10) but though not loosing any weight. Her poops are around every 2 days. We've also noticed she has not shed in about 2 months. Her skin doesn't look like it's going to shed any time soon. She doesn't appear to be lethargic, but definatly....slower. Most of her time is spent basking and outside of her cage she likes to either explore or cuddle.

I'm not sure if this lack of shedding and slower metabolism is her setting up for brumation or her growth slowing as she enters sub-adulthood. Any thoughts?

5029869482_b7ababaf76_b.jpg

5126051828_f8a846d303_b.jpg

I LOVE this last picture! She looks like she wants OUT and bad, wants to play outside! :lol:

If you've had fecals done and all seems to be fine otherwise, I'd just say it's most likely a phase or a semi-brumation. Angie did this and came out of her not wanting to eat at all phase for maybe a week or so and then back & forth, eating great a few days and then back to nothing a day or two! It's frustrating to say the least! Angie is probably around the same age as yours and is around 18-19" in length. She's hovering at around 360 grams. That might go up and down by no more than 10-15 grams to which I'm not too concerned about either. If she goes more than a few days w/o eating, I syringe feed her chicken baby food mixed with Critical Care, Liq. calcium and a little water to make sure she's getting her nutrients since she is young to be doing a brumation. She's still alert though. Oh I've adjusted her lights so that they are only on about 12 hrs.

Mark1998

I don't know. After I bathed Felix he has been up and acting almost normal for about 5 days. But he has certainly lowered his food intake to almost nothing. Yesterday he ate one roach and one superworm, and maybe a little salad. I am concerned because he is awake all day, so he must be burning calories, but he is taking next to nothing in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom