Is your BD currently brumating ?

luvmybd

Juvie Member
I believe my 8 year old Rocky has been in brumation for the last few weeks.
He still eats as usual but lays around with his eyes closed.

Attachments

• 09E9A4B2-0015-4B60-BB0E-8AB766DFCCD8.jpeg
    09E9A4B2-0015-4B60-BB0E-8AB766DFCCD8.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 122
  • F0374664-E890-4B43-B096-1AABD885D9DD.jpeg
    F0374664-E890-4B43-B096-1AABD885D9DD.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 74
  • C2D1368D-8019-4C73-A0B4-78C25F9CCE2A.jpeg
    C2D1368D-8019-4C73-A0B4-78C25F9CCE2A.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 70

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I believe my 8 year old Rocky has been in brumation for the last few weeks.
He still eats as usual but lays around with his eyes closed.
Your dragon is in distress or pain - he's sporting a black beard this is not good- please go over your uvb and surface basking temps-- how are you taking them ? How old is the uvb?

luvmybd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I bought Rocky when he was ~ 3 months old from a breader.
He’s always had a dark beard.
The husbandry is excellent. New 10 uvb (Reptisun T8). His temps are measured daily with a lazer. He loves to eat!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I bought Rocky when he was ~ 3 months old from a breader.
He’s always had a dark beard.
The husbandry is excellent. New 10 uvb (Reptisun T8). His temps are measured daily with a lazer. He loves to eat!
Ok is the T 8 unobstructed? No screen and directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, if his beard is dark, I would highly recommend bringing him out of any brumation phase
he may be in to get him feeling better. Was his beard dark when he started slowing down?
Has he lost any weight that you can tell so far?
Are you able to possibly get him to a vet for a checkup? At 8 years it might be good to get a blood
test if you can.

Tracie

luvmybd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hello,

I agree, if his beard is dark, I would highly recommend bringing him out of any brumation phase
he may be in to get him feeling better. Was his beard dark when he started slowing down?
Has he lost any weight that you can tell so far?
Are you able to possibly get him to a vet for a checkup? At 8 years it might be good to get a blood
test if you can.

Tracie
Hi Tracie, in terms of any brumation phase, I understand this time of year beardies go into brumation. He is eating and pooing normally. Loves to eat. How can I change his sleepiness? Is this brumation or his age (8 years old)?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
2 months old.
Ok so as Tracie posted please get him into a reptile vet -- something is not good here -- please take a fecal in w/ you NO enemas --- start w/ a parasite test and go from there --- www.arav.org if your in a small town please type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Awww I hope your bearded dragon feels better. The black beard isn't good, I am so glad that you came here for assistance. Please let us know how he's doing. Wishing you well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is hard to bring them out of brumation phases. If he isn't feeling well, you can take his cave
out of the tank to help encourage him to bask more. Is his beard still dark today?
Try to get some extra oral fluids into him, if you can. If his beard is still dark, we highly recommend
trying to get him into a vet if you can, as he isn't feeling well.
Please keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom