Is this yellow fungus?

XionM

Member
Hi, a little back story...
I got a bearded dragon from a close friend who runs a reptile rescue. Mostly ball pythons, they know ball pythons better than I know my own home. They knew I love bearded dragons and when they took one in they offered it to me. The previous owner of the dragon said she has yellow fungus but theirs no vets in my area who are able to really check... my friends vet, a very good snake vet, said he’d never heard of it unfortunately and theirs only one other herp vet around and he’s also never heard of it. Neither of them know how to test for it. I took her in with the understanding she probably had it and figured I’d at least try to keep it under control if I could, keep her happy and comfortable, and give her lots of love until it becomes too much and lowers her quality of life. She loved to be held, be pet, fall asleep on my shoulder, watch movies with me, and all around is alert, active, pooping normally, not lesions or anything but this spot was pointed out when I first got her, theirs 2 other very small ones in other spots. She was a surrender to a petco, where my friend usually checks for surrendered pythons and they were just giving her away because of this. I don’t know her age, morph or anything but I don’t know how to tell of this is indeed yellow fungus, and what’s the best way to go about caring for this if I can’t access an experienced bearded dragon vet?
By the way her name is pancake, and she loves being a beardie burrito.
110981-8017772389.jpg
110981-3440813846.jpg
110981-9453891390.jpg
Excuse the tank. That’s how they got her and Ive switched to a different substrate
 

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 4 and Blaze is 3
I dont think that is YF -- have you changed the substrate? If not I would -- the spot looks like a stain of some sort -- I can have AHBD take a look she knows this stuff better than I -- have you done anything w/ her husbandry? If you need help please ask --- FYI NO coils for UVB please they are NO good -- you will need a digital probe thermometer to get accurate basking temps as well --
 

XionM

Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":ttnclsvz said:
I dont think that is YF -- have you changed the substrate? If not I would -- the spot looks like a stain of some sort -- I can have AHBD take a look she knows this stuff better than I -- have you done anything w/ her husbandry? If you need help please ask --- FYI NO coils for UVB please they are NO good -- you will need a digital probe thermometer to get accurate basking temps as well --
Thanks! Yes I am switching to tiles as I hear they are great for their nails. And they are easy to keep clean. She’s on salad, live crickets, and 3 different types of worms. With an occasional fruit treat. And I may sound kinda dumb but... coils like those fluorescent uvb bulbs? Or something else? Do you have a recommendation for a uvb bulb?
I’ve currently got a heat pad hooked up to a temp probe with a digital readout that controls the heat pad. My friend uses them on all their ball pythons and it’s very accurate it seems. I have it low in her basking spot, and set to 100f, as well as a large stick that’s bog enough for her to lay on that is at an angle, so she can go closer or farther from the light if she wants. She usually stays in the middle. If I am doing anything wrong please let me know. I just want what’s best for her! She’s not had a good life from what we gather.
 

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post a few good pics, a little closer . Include one of the stomach area. I don't think it's Y.F., even if it is it's a tiny spot that could possibly disappear with application of over the counter anti fungal cream like Lamisil .
 

XionM

Member
Original Poster
AHBD":282sxr6b said:
Hi there, can you post a few good pics, a little closer . Include one of the stomach area. I don't think it's Y.F., even if it is it's a tiny spot that could possibly disappear with application of over the counter anti fungal cream like Lamisil .
Yes I will as soon as I get home. Thank you!
 

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 4 and Blaze is 3
She needs a UVB ASAP-- https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank
this bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
you can also get the fixture from this site as well--
please get rid of the heat mat --dragons heat from their backs not stomachs-- she needs a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
if your replacing w/ tile I can help w/ that -- please get something that is textured slated ceramic you dont want something to coarse so it causes abrasions or something to smooth for no traction- you will need to have it cut w/ a tile cutter so you dont get jagged edges -- cut to the size of the tank inside and lay it in loose so you can pull for deep cleaning - I use a thick shop paper towel from Walmart under the tiles to catch the watery urate - easy clean up w / vinegar/ water 50/50 solution-- right now the most important things in the tank are the basking temps and the UVB
 

XionM

Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2jq9ag43 said:
O.K, post pics of all the areas. She sounds like a really sweet dragon and as of now looks healthy. :)

110981-4525274779.jpg

110981-6784886145.jpg

110981-8472992959.jpg

110981-255648615.jpg

110981-186737176.jpg

Also her current enclosure. Tomorrow she’s getting a bigger tank and I got a large uvb bulb and fixture coming, for now she’s got a small one in that zoomed fixture. With a 100w basking bulb. Got the tank temp up to 90 currently as she’s going to sleep, I put the pad heaters on the sides of the tank so she can’t touch them but they are still heating the tank. They seem to really help keep it at a constant temp, and warmer on the basking side of her tank too. She LOVES her hammock, but here is the yellow spots I found and some better pics of her over all. The great news is she started eating today, mostly insects but a small bit of carrot too, I’m not too worried that she isn’t eating like I’d expect, she’s been bounced around so much the past few days from some ones home, to a petco, to a rescue, to my home in a temp spot and now she’s in my bedroom, so I can start going to bed earlier haha. I tried bathing her but I got home late so she didn’t want that she wanted to go to bed. And she let me know. I put her on my shoulder, she hid under my hair and went to sleep. So I set her tank up after I cleaned everything and sanatized everything, got her all dry, and the tank warmed back up to 90, and she went right to her spot and to bed. I really hope it’s not yellow fungus but I’m working to control it even if it isn’t.
 

XionM

Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3fox1pcb said:
She needs a UVB ASAP-- https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank
this bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
you can also get the fixture from this site as well--
please get rid of the heat mat --dragons heat from their backs not stomachs-- she needs a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
if your replacing w/ tile I can help w/ that -- please get something that is textured slated ceramic you dont want something to coarse so it causes abrasions or something to smooth for no traction- you will need to have it cut w/ a tile cutter so you dont get jagged edges -- cut to the size of the tank inside and lay it in loose so you can pull for deep cleaning - I use a thick shop paper towel from Walmart under the tiles to catch the watery urate - easy clean up w / vinegar/ water 50/50 solution-- right now the most important things in the tank are the basking temps and the UVB
Thank you! I ordered one of the uvb bulbs and fixtures through Amazon. I wanted it here as quick as possible and since I ordered it early it will be here Thursday. Didn’t want to take any chances waiting... as for tile, I have a tile cutter so can do! What are your thoughts on grouting the tile and silicone the edges tho? I’ve heard a few people doing something like that, using an aquarium grade silicone to seal the tile in and grout to make a solid surface so no fecal matter gets down under it. For now I’ve got her on some thick paper towels, easy to clean, she can’t eat it, and she doesn’t mind it. She’s getting a much larger tank tomorrow, to give her more room to run around. Good news is she ate today too! My friends with the rescue are getting me some Dubia roaches tomorrow when they go get supplies for the snakes, today she got calcium worms, carrots which she ate maybe one of, and crickets coated in Supplements. She ate all the crickets, and one of the worms. I think she is settling down finally.
 

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The color in her beard is natural tint, no Y.F. there, many beardies have varying amounts of color in their beard and it often worries new owners. The spot on the side is inconclusive but just get a small tube of antifungal cream and it may go away. Baths are not necessary unless she gets poo on herself , otherwise maybe once a week at most and not at night. It's good that she's eating, she is thinner than what she appeared to be in the first pics. As for changing her tank, keep in mind that can cause stress too,, as long as her current tank is clean and you get the proper uvb she might be better off in there until she is healthier. But whatever you decide I'm sure she's going to do much better now in your care. :)
 

XionM

Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2tapvcd9 said:
The color in her beard is natural tint, no Y.F. there, many beardies have varying amounts of color in their beard and it often worries new owners. The spot on the side is inconclusive but just get a small tube of antifungal cream and it may go away. Baths are not necessary unless she gets poo on herself , otherwise maybe once a week at most and not at night. It's good that she's eating, she is thinner than what she appeared to be in the first pics. As for changing her tank, keep in mind that can cause stress too,, as long as her current tank is clean and you get the proper uvb she might be better off in there until she is healthier. But whatever you decide I'm sure she's going to do much better now in your care. :)


Wow thank you! That’s a huge relief. I gotta get some more tonight and this morning she seemed much happier, she was hungry and ate everything in sight. Some veggies, worms, and vitamin coated crickets. I also put water on the veggies for her, she was much more active today and happy, her colors even look better today over the first pics I had posted.
 

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 4 and Blaze is 3
Yes babies need temps at least 105-110 for basking as they get older they wont want that hot of a temp --- juvies/ adults around 95-100--- when the UVB comes in please let me know so I can help you place it --- is the screen wide hole type or a fine mesh like a screen door?
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I see my lizard is being given Allopurinol 100ml tablet 10mg/ml (0.4) and tramadol 0.2ml every other day to help with gout. I have tramadol at home can I water it down and give it to her and if so do anyone know how much to water down ?
323A2CAE-899F-4592-90D2-DC37D45A30F1.jpeg

Baby photo! Look at how little and cute I was!!!
C34BF977-474F-4233-BF7E-8C797567E429.jpeg
Buffy snuggling with my partner!!!
Gout in bearded dragons
So freaking handsome I just love youuuuu so much 💕

Forum statistics

Threads
151,491
Messages
1,213,548
Members
73,983
Latest member
Fireballeata
Top Bottom