Is this Yellow Fungus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtDgr

Hate for my first post to be this!

Got our 11 year old daughter a juvenile beardy in July for her birthday. I had a leopard gecko for ten years once so have a little reptile experience.

Purchased her(we think its a her) at our local family owned pet store along with all the goodies to house it. The gal we got it from has two of her own.

When I picked the little guy out I noticed the little area of discolor but just figured it was nothing so I didn't even bring it up. Well as "Priz Marine" (yes that's the name) has grown these past six weeks or so, so has this:

DirtDgr

Original Poster
here is a better one. Its definitely spreading. She's a member of the family already and I want to clear this up. Help please! Sounds like some use anti fungal stuff.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....it does look like it's Y.F., and yes, Monistat or Lamisil can be applied. There is also an oral med., Voriconazole, it can be harsh on babies so maybe see how the topical works first. She's a cute little girl ! :) Hope she does well + gets better for you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I imagine you could use Lotrimin...and if you can find a good reptile vet in your area then yes, it would be a good idea to take her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
By the way, you might get some good ideas from a thread in the infectious disease forum. A poster named sammycakes has a thread entitled " living with yellow fungus" and there's alot of useful info + experience in it. She used the meds. I mentioned, and also seems to have had success with cherry flavored echinacea. Check out her thread.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is definitely yellow fungus, poor girl!
Any of those anti-fungal creams are effective. I also recommend getting some probiotics such as non dairy acidophiliz or non dairy soy yogurt.
How is her appetite doing?
I would definitely try the cream first before the oral meds as they are pretty hard on the system.

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

DirtDgr

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info.

Apetite is steady and good so far.

Everything I seem to read seems its a death sentence. Is there one success story where a beardy has it cured? Or is this a thing where we struggle keeping her well for a couple years, spend big money at the vet, and she dies?

I am dead set against suffering animals. I've seen a few pics that I will not put this little gal through.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is very challenging with yellow fungus, I agree.
I would take it one day at a time & see how she responds to this therapy & treatment. There are some who do make it through while others don't.
If you caught it early enough then she stands a great chance! At least she has a good appetite right now & is active, too. Those are very good signs she doesn't not feel ill at least for the moment.
Some of the problem is that there are a lot of cases that go undiagnosed or unreported so unfortunately it is fairly limited to the cases of ones who do make it through.
We will help as much as we can!

Tracie

DirtDgr

Original Poster
Well so far so good.

At first we used bedatine treatment(tea colored bath) just a few times a week with Lamisil on the other days with great results. Cleared it right up so far.

I still do a bedatine every few days with nothing else. Clean cage often too of course.

She shed last week and her belly looks pure white now.

Thanks for all the help and I will put some pics of her soon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is terrific it has cleared up like that for you, using betadine & lamisil. :D
I really hope that it cleared it up for good & that it doesn't come back on her.
How is her appetite doing?
Definitely post more pictures of her new white belly for us!

Tracie

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
DirtDgr":r3v3ddlh said:
Thanks for all the info.

Apetite is steady and good so far.

Everything I seem to read seems its a death sentence. Is there one success story where a beardy has it cured? Or is this a thing where we struggle keeping her well for a couple years, spend big money at the vet, and she dies?

I am dead set against suffering animals. I've seen a few pics that I will not put this little gal through.

My Pixel is going on two years now :) It's not a death sentence for sure unless you make it one! Beardies are great fighters if you let them. When I thought Pixel was suffering and came to terms with putting her down, my vet said no. She wasn't ready to give up and he was so right. Good luck with everything! Message me if you need any advice I can try to help with!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizziefan
Top Bottom