Is this uvb okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good fixture that is designed to sit flat along the top of the enclosure. It can be hung/suspended but it doesn't come with clips so it can take some creativity if you need to hang it.

As far as the bulb goes, you'll probably want to swap that with either a ReptiSun 10 or Arcadia 12% (either brand will work as long as you get the correct length (22'' T5 for that one I believe). It should sit about 12-14'' above the main basking area for best output. The 5.0 bulb that comes with the fixture is lower powered and has optimal output at about 6-8'' between bulb and main basking area.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
If you are placing the fixture on top of the screen, the 5.0 bulb that comes with it will not work and you will definitely need to replace it with one that CopperDragon recommended. In that case, distance should be 8-10" from the basking spot.

Valerie_

Original Poster
If you are placing the fixture on top of the screen, the 5.0 bulb that comes with it will not work and you will definitely need to replace it with one that CopperDragon recommended. In that case, distance should be 8-10" from the basking spot.
The uvb light is about 16 inches away from the bottom of the tank , will the 10.0 bulb work? Or will the 5.0 bulb be fine ?

Last edited:

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
The uvb light is about 18 inches away, will the 10.0 bulb work?
The 10.0 bulb should be 12-15" if unobstructed (under the screen/no screen) or 8-10" if on top of the screen. 18" is fine to the floor but he should have something he can climb and get closer, like a branch or a hammock or cave decor or something. A cave is good because it gives him somewhere to hide and get out of the light completely if he needs to. There should be options closer and further away so that he can pick where he needs to be. They are really good at regulating themselves as long as they have the option.

Valerie_

Original Poster
The 10.0 bulb should be 12-15" if unobstructed (under the screen/no screen) or 8-10" if on top of the screen. 18" is fine to the floor but he should have something he can climb and get closer, like a branch or a hammock or cave decor or something. A cave is good because it gives him somewhere to hide and get out of the light completely if he needs to. There should be options closer and further away so that he can pick where he needs to be. They are really good at regulating themselves as long as they have the option.
Alright thank you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom