Is this scale rot?

motherofalittledragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Grogu
I just noticed this little bit of red where a scale should be and I'm wondering if it might be scale rot. My guy's been going insane the last two days (as he usually does when he has to poop but I suspect it might have to do with mating season because he usually doesn't poo multiple days in a row)--running around, climbing all over the stuff in his tank, glass surfing (even when I let him out he glass surfaces to get back into his tank 😫). One of his hides is a bit rough and he's in need of a nail trim so I'm wondering (and hoping) he just scratched himself somehow, especially because I didn't notice it yesterday, but I wanted some advice before I looked into a vet appointment.

Screenshot_20230205-140529.jpg

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
I just noticed this little bit of red where a scale should be and I'm wondering if it might be scale rot. My guy's been going insane the last two days (as he usually does when he has to poop but I suspect it might have to do with mating season because he usually doesn't poo multiple days in a row)--running around, climbing all over the stuff in his tank, glass surfing (even when I let him out he glass surfaces to get back into his tank 😫). One of his hides is a bit rough and he's in need of a nail trim so I'm wondering (and hoping) he just scratched himself somehow, especially because I didn't notice it yesterday, but I wanted some advice before I looked into a vet appointment.

View attachment 77644

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
To me, it looks like he scratched himself? My beardie scratches himself on rough edges when he is shedding, and he had a bloody spot under his chin a couple weeks ago from trying to rub the shed off. This doesn't look like the discoloration that comes from scale rot.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
to me that looks like a little damage from the glass surfing. just like us hitting a knuckle on something while working. not a big injury, just a scrape that is annoying.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi moad, I agree with the others that this is definitely not scale rot and not at all needing attention from a vet. It is the equivalent of a small scrape that we might get and a doesn't really need anything but a small dab of Neosporin would be O.K.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom