Is this normal?

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Hi, Beebz occassionally does this, and I was finally able to get a good video of it.

Just wanted to know if I ought to be concerned.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
She could be stretching her beard, but it looked like maybe she was holding food in the back of her mouth and she was trying to get it on down. Dunners are know to do that, other morphs not so much i think.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
She could be stretching her beard, but it looked like maybe she was holding food in the back of her mouth and she was trying to get it on down. Dunners are know to do that, other morphs not so much i think.
Hmm. She does it most often after we feed. It's been a few hours since her last feeding though. Also no poop today which is odd, she's normally pretty regular around late morning.

I do think she sometimes packs food in her beard. She eats very fast and will sometimes try to cram 2 or 3 roaches in at once.

We never could use the 10-15min rule, it takes her 1-2 minutes to cram in 20-30 roaches (3x a day), then jump up to her basking spot. She will leave a few sometimes but normally if there are more in the bowl she'll try to cram them down.

We tried feeding her in a separate container when she was younger to slow her down but she hated that. Would eat one or two then try to get out.

She will take food by hand which slows her down but then it's really hard to judge how many are appropriate as she'll just sit on her basking spot and eat as many as are offered. Plus it's harder to dust and what not that way.

She's had a little spell like that at least 3 times to day but I've been in there a lot and like I said I see it fairly regularly especially after eating.

Any advice greatly appreciated as always

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The one you linked looks to for sure be trying to get rid of shed.
It could be the same with yours. But if it happened more after eating she is probably storing food and trying to get the rest to go down. Other than offering bugs 1 at a time i don't really know how to slow her down.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
The one you linked looks to for sure be trying to get rid of shed.
It could be the same with yours. But if it happened more after eating she is probably storing food and trying to get the rest to go down. Other than offering bugs 1 at a time i don't really know how to slow her down.
Hmm, gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

I guess I should ask first. Is it problematic that she gloms her food and packs it in her beard for later? I worry about her choking but should I be?

I don't mind handing her food but my daughter likes feeding her and drops a lot of roaches in the enclosure doing it that way.

Also would it make sense that it happened this time 3.5 hours after feeding? I did hand feed her lunch. She also took her daily poo earlier so all good there.

*edit* also she does just the puffing part without jerking her head around fairly often. Never black and not as big as the video, just in and out like a little frog. Is it possible she's just showing off / trying to show me who's boss?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
With beardies you can't rule out anything lol. They will stretch their beard randomly though, even if they aren't in shed, i think they just like a good stretch same as us 🙂

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom