Is this mouth rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rony

He has some yellow spots inside his mouth (which you can see in the pictures). I’ve also noticed some of his teeth were somehow deteriorated or too small... I’m not sure. And one was actually missing. You can also appreciate at the tip of his mouth his cups are covered in some crusty mucous which has dried up. The white is calcium and the brown is due to an environmental factor. They (of course) disappear when shedding the lips, but always come back. He has been like this for a while and he is always the reptile he always has been: which a big appetite, always willing to drink and eat. Tho he hasn’t been basking lately.
95146-8691631923.jpg
95146-9603866101.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
ok so off topic why has he not been basking? Not sure about the mouth thing some one w/ more experience w/ that will haft to help--- but the not basking ---- what are his temps? Is he sitting under his UVB?
Karrie

Rony

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1rut9a81 said:
ok so off topic why has he not been basking? Not sure about the mouth thing some one w/ more experience w/ that will haft to help--- but the not basking ---- what are his temps? Is he sitting under his UVB?
Karrie

He just sleeps or lays down, he is still full of energy tho. His temps are ok, and I replaced his UVB 1 month back. His UVB is a reptisun 10.0. He has been using it all his life and nothing really went wrong. He also has to shed part of his tail, his arms and legs.

It’s summer in here and we get to temperatures of about 37 degrees Celsius. I think I might have to turn the heat lamp off (that could be the reason since the UVB is in front of the heat one)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is it a coil or tube? Your UVB should not be giving off heat they usually dont-- if its a tube is it the T 8 or a T 5 ?
Karrie

Rony

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1uc0f3i2 said:
The UVB is it a coil or tube? Your UVB should not be giving off heat they usually dont-- if its a tube is it the T 8 or a T 5 ?
Karrie
It is a coil. It is not giving heat at all, what I mean was that the uvb bulb was in front of the heat one, so if the dragon wants to bask it also has to get underneath the heat one. I will be looking into changing that tho.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the coil UVB-- that is the issue - you need a reptisun 10.0 tube either a T 5 or T 8-- I can post more info tomorrow on the UVB's but please change it out ASAP-- the lighting in the tank is crucial to their overall health behavior and digestion
Karrie

Rony

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2w660bq4 said:
Please get rid of the coil UVB-- that is the issue - you need a reptisun 10.0 tube either a T 5 or T 8-- I can post more info tomorrow on the UVB's but please change it out ASAP-- the lighting in the tank is crucial to their overall health behavior and digestion
Karrie

I’m finding a way. The tank is open on the top and too large to put these tubes all through. This is a picture of it. (This was when it was still WIP now it has the uvb in front of the heat at the right)
95146-30984739.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So he is able to sit directly under the UVB now? correct? So what are his basking temps and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe?
Karrie

Rony

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ni8gdqqy said:
So he is able to sit directly under the UVB now? correct? So what are his basking temps and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe?
Karrie
I use a ZooMed digital thermometer. His basking temps are of around 100 degrees Fahrenheit (36/37 Celsius). On the cool side it’s of around 83 degrees Fahrenheit (28 Celsius). He is able to sit under the uvb. I’m still not sure of how to install the reptisun 10.0 (tube) without it falling.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am not sure either since there is no screen --- some others on here have better experience w/ stuff like that --- maybe they can help w/ getting it set up for you
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think your lighting is probably fine. As far as the teeth and gums go, the teeth do look a bit worn down. I don't see much damage though based on the photos so I don't think it's mouth rot. Do you include any hard shelled bugs in his diet? Occasional dermestid beetles or even some roaches on a regular basis can help with their dental health. If you can get some MaxiGuard gel and apply it to the gums with a q-tip, that may help to cleanse the teeth and gums as well. If you see the teeth deteriorate further or if you see signs of sores or open wounds, then a vet should be consulted.

Rony

Original Poster
CooperDragon":z1ju2gcm said:
I think your lighting is probably fine. As far as the teeth and gums go, the teeth do look a bit worn down. I don't see much damage though based on the photos so I don't think it's mouth rot. Do you include any hard shelled bugs in his diet? Occasional dermestid beetles or even some roaches on a regular basis can help with their dental health. If you can get some MaxiGuard gel and apply it to the gums with a q-tip, that may help to cleanse the teeth and gums as well. If you see the teeth deteriorate further or if you see signs of sores or open wounds, then a vet should be consulted.

Thank you for the information. I will be looking forward to doing that. I do occasionally offer him roaches, crickets or even grasshoppers. I used to give him super worms (just occasionally) a long time ago, but that’s done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom