Is there any hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molson

Member
Hi everyone,

For the past two weeks my beardy was refusing to eat, being very lazy. I've been force feeding for days on vet orders which she did pretty good with. She tested negative on a fecal test, but the past few days shes started constantly opening/closing mouth and swallowing. I took her in again yesterday and she has an infection in her throat. This is the second day of being on Baytril. All husbandry is proper, and shes getting daily baths. This was a very fast acting thing, the vet was confused as well.

She did okay with the force feeding this morning, but is now completely limp, not opening eyes. Beard and tail are not black. She occasionally gulps, but the saliva is starting to take over and build up. Is there any hope for her to bounce back, or are these her final moments? It seems she isn't able to handle the drug (I didn't accidentally overdose).

I really don't know what to do. Is it worth waiting or should I take her in to end it?
 

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl, how did the vet determine an infection in her throat ? It maybe a reaction to the Baytril. What exactly was the dosage ? If she gets through the night, cease the meds. It may be that she had aspirated some food in the beginning when she first began gaping and the vet assumed a R.I.

I'm really sorry that you're going through this. :( You might wait and give her a chance....no force feeding or meds.
 

Molson

Member
Original Poster
Thanks for replying. I don't know how the vet determined it, she took her in the back and look at her throat with a magnifier I suppose. The dosage was 0.12 ml daily, I don't know her weight, I didn't pay attention, but shes an adult that is a bit skinny from the whole thing, but not too bad.

She was actually doing the gaping/swallowing a little bit before I began forcefeeding, but I passed it off as trying to get off a shedding beard. The vet didn't use any magnifier when she checked the first visit, so it may have been very early stages and it was missed.

I haven't seen her gape for a bit, and can't see the signs of breathing, I don't know if shes even still alive. But I mistook her for dead when I picked her up 2 hours ago.

Do you think its worth giving her a little water orally to clear up the mucous, or will that only make it worse?
 

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moderator
Hello,

Oh no, I am sorry to hear you lost your girl. :cry: My sincere condolences to you.

Tracie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HELP what's happening with my beardie!!he has a lifted up scale and it has shedding in a circle around it I noticed it for the first time yesterday and I have no idea what it is and when I shine a flashlight on him it's yellow around the scale what do I doooo
substrate looks scrumptious
My female bearded dragon has recently started gasping for air all the time. She can’t get sleep or really do anything because she has such a difficult time breathing. I think it might be a RI but I’m not completely sure. Any thoughts?
Building a custom enclosure from an entertainment center. Can't wait to see how it ends up! Custom Build
setting up a tank for a garter snake in a few months!!

Forum statistics

Threads
152,383
Messages
1,222,417
Members
74,505
Latest member
Mom2Twins&Beardie
Top Bottom