Is something wrong? Sleepy dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
My Beardie is acting tired and eating less so he has me slightly worried. Can brumation happen this early in the summer?

I am wondering if not being able to keep the straight 12/12 lighting hours this last week are to blame? ordered timers because I am not getting a full 12 hours on 12 off with the lighting set up I have due to my schedule. Junior is about 10 months old. Maybe 17-18". He had been eating like a pig. I started shifting him to veggies in the day and aim to feed him superworms around 6pm. He is pooping. Daily or every other day. We completely redecorated his tank 40 gal in anticipation of getting a new larger one. His tank gets to 95-102 during the day (typically high 90s). At night, between 70-78.

Last three days he is sleeping more, wanting to go to bed earlier and has been eating about half his normal insects. I can't tell if he is eating more veggies as they are dehydrated by the time I get home. Where he would normal eat a small amount of veggies, 10 supers, 6 black fly larvae, 2 butterworms - he has only ate about 5 supers today, maybe less than that
87660-1657971847.jpg
yesterday.

We completely redid all the furniture in his tank as we are getting ready to move up in
87660-9863859922.jpg
size. Maybe he hates the new fake branch I got him? Could it be bad for him since I bought it in the fish section? New branch takes him higher/closer to the light. He doesn't bask all day like he use to. Now he switches from cool side to floor to bask spot.

I sound crazy I know. He was active the day before yesterday when I took him out. Yesterday he just say on our window ledged posing in the sun.

We put his cork log back in the tank (not in pic and we moved the branch so the hottest spot is further away. We ordered timers and a temp gun. Thoughts? He is peeling in the other pic.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, they can & often do brumate this time of year. Not all of them do, but a lot of them do.
How old is he?
He is shedding so that can affect his appetite, too. He is a little cutie pie.
I doubt the new branch would bother him, but sometimes it takes awhile for them to get used to new things or changes in their tanks. How long did his lighting schedule get thrown off?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JuniorBeardie":2l62s1p7 said:
Hi
My Beardie is acting tired and eating less so he has me slightly worried. Can brumation happen this early in the summer?

I am wondering if not being able to keep the straight 12/12 lighting hours this last week are to blame? ordered timers because I am not getting a full 12 hours on 12 off with the lighting set up I have due to my schedule. <<<< 12 hour days will make him think it's winter , I strongly recommend bumping up the hours to a minimum of 14 -15 hours (lights and heat on per day).
Junior is about 10 months old. Maybe 17-18". <<<< they do slow down and become more laid back about the food as they get older , I'd cut back on the supers , give him more crickets, roaches or silkworms instead.
He had been eating like a pig. I started shifting him to veggies in the day and aim to feed him superworms around 6pm. He is pooping. Daily or every other day. We completely redecorated his tank 40 gal in anticipation of getting a new larger one. His tank gets to 95-102 during the day (typically high 90s). At night, between 70-78.

Last three days he is sleeping more, wanting to go to bed earlier and has been eating about half his normal insects. I can't tell if he is eating more veggies as they are dehydrated by the time I get home. Where he would normal eat a small amount of veggies, 10 supers, 6 black fly larvae, 2 butterworms - he has only ate about 5 supers today, maybe less than that
87660-1657971847.jpg
yesterday. <<<< butterworms should just be used as occasional treats.

We completely redid all the furniture in his tank as we are getting ready to move up in
87660-9863859922.jpg
size. Maybe he hates the new fake branch I got him? Could it be bad for him since I bought it in the fish section? New branch takes him higher/closer to the light. He doesn't bask all day like he use to. Now he switches from cool side to floor to bask spot.

I sound crazy I know. He was active the day before yesterday when I took him out. Yesterday he just say on our window ledged posing in the sun.

We put his cork log back in the tank (not in pic and we moved the branch so the hottest spot is further away. We ordered timers and a temp gun. Thoughts? He is peeling in the other pic.

He is shedding in the photo, this can put them off their tukka somewhat.

JuniorBeardie

Original Poster
Thanks for replying. We were on vacation for a week so the person taking care of him would turn lights on st 9-10am and he would already be awake and turn them off around 11pm. Our schedule is lights on 7am lights off 9pm.

His face shed last week but perhaps his body is getting ready too?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The change in schedule may have him off a bit as well as the shed. I suggest putting the lights on timers so you have a more consistent schedule and don't need to worry about turning the lights on and off manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom