Is she overweight?

JasonBreen

Original Poster
IMG_0049.jpg
So, having just got off reddit where I was told she wasn't being taken care of properly bc I couldn't afford or find the space for a 120 gallon tank, I get told there that she's overweight and looks to be in bd health. Is she though? Keep in mind she's nearly 10 years old, and the vet hasn't really said anything other than that she was slightly anemic when we brought her in for a spaying last year, since she had something with her follicles, so she never ovulated. Also, she had parasites when she was very young, so the vet said that might have stunted her growth. I can get better pictures if need be!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
She looks pretty good overall, but she does look just a little bit bloated, you might want to take a fecal sample in to the vet and have it tested. At 10 years old you have had to do a decent job with husbandry.

JasonBreen

Original Poster
She looks pretty good overall, but she does look just a little bit bloated, you might want to take a fecal sample in to the vet and have it tested. At 10 years old you have had to do a decent job with husbandry.
honestly I'm just thankful for each day with her, she nearly died from her parasites as a juvenile, though I still can't tell if it was because of a bad reaction to the meds, or it was really just *that* bad? I'll try to get a fecal sample but that's also another issue, she doesn't poop much. I don't want to take her to the vet for that because it seemed very traumatic for her last time, but I don't know what other ways I can get her to pass feces?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
What ever you do, DO NOT let the vet do an enema, it is insanely dangerous to them. Just wait till she poops and collect it yourself, take it in within 24 hours and dont refrigerate it. They don't need the beardie to actually come in for a fecal.

JasonBreen

Original Poster
What ever you do, DO NOT let the vet do an enema, it is insanely dangerous to them. Just wait till she poops and collect it yourself, take it in within 24 hours and dont refrigerate it. They don't need the beardie to actually come in for a fecal.
She had that done once, never, ever, EVER doing it again to her. But ill try to get her poop in to the vet, also I'm guessing i shouldn't wait for it to dry?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Her being slightly bloated isn't a big problem, it could have something to do with the spaying. Humans can have constant harmless bloat after different operations of the stomach /abdominal area. Can you get a few more pics of her ? She does look pretty good overall for a 10 year old. :)

JasonBreen

Original Poster
Her being slightly bloated isn't a big problem, it could have something to do with the spaying. Humans can have constant harmless bloat after different operations of the stomach /abdominal area. Can you get a few more pics of her ? She does look pretty good overall for a 10 year old. :)
Absolutely! 20221102_133759.jpg 20220908_084708.jpg 20220806_150248.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, these pics do reveal that she's overweight but looks alert and reasonably healthy. It's easy for them to gain in but no so easy to lose it. :) What is her diet ? You can cut back on insects and offer more salads, even if she doesn't eat a like them at first.

JasonBreen

Original Poster
O.K, these pics do reveal that she's overweight but looks alert and reasonably healthy. It's easy for them to gain in but no so easy to lose it. :) What is her diet ? You can cut back on insects and offer more salads, even if she doesn't eat a like them at first.
Been feeding her hornworms and arugula mostly, should I cut out the hornworms? And if so, for how long? Though to be fair, she isnt *that* much of a picky eater, she just wont eat greens or anything non moving unless i wave it in front of her first

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Being that she's older and not really showing symptoms of having parasites I wouldn't bother taking a fecal for exam, especially since she's had traumatic experiences there. Can you get dubia roaches or crickets ? Those are better choices with only an occasional hornworm. And if you need to wave some kale, mustard , turnip, collard greens that's O.K. if that's what it takes. :)
If you can get her to exercise a bit that would be good, out on a floor [ check foe ANY small object she might swallow like rubber band, coins, Lego's, candy, etc ] Or take her out in your yard if it's warm and she's up for it. To help her poo get some unspiced canned pumpkin, baby food squash or unsweetened applesauce. A warmer than usual soak can help them to poo as well. BTW, what's her name ?

JasonBreen

Original Poster
Being that she's older and not really showing symptoms of having parasites I wouldn't bother taking a fecal for exam, especially since she's had traumatic experiences there. Can you get dubia roaches or crickets ? Those are better choices with only an occasional hornworm. And if you need to wave some kale, mustard , turnip, collard greens that's O.K. if that's what it takes. :)
If you can get her to exercise a bit that would be good, out on a floor [ check foe ANY small object she might swallow like rubber band, coins, Lego's, candy, etc ] Or take her out in your yard if it's warm and she's up for it. To help her poo get some unspiced canned pumpkin, baby food squash or unsweetened applesauce. A warmer than usual soak can help them to poo as well. BTW, what's her name ?
Thats going to be difficult to get Dubias, Ive only ever seen the cups of nymphs at Petco in my old town, and you sure she has a big enough head to eat a whole Dubia? I was always very hesitant about that...

As for the excercise, i can let her run around on the floor with her toys. Ill also try to make more salads for her. Oh btw, are berries good for beardies? I give her a small handful of blueberries as a treat every now and then, maybe some apple too

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can order them through certain companies, some of the members here can tell you the best places to get them. Medium sized dubias would be fine . Another choice would be large crickets but they can be noisy and not as easy to keep. A few berries are fine but it's usually recommended to go easy on fruit because of high sugar content. Karrie can tell you the best place to order dubia if you ant to try them.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom