Is she dying 🥺

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skintymini

Original Poster
I have a female beardie. She’s 11 months old. She was completely fine yesterday. Today she is weak lethargic, sunken eyes, and looks extremely bloated. She won’t eat. And I gave her soak today. I called 3 vets in my area. Only 1 would may be able to help but only advised to call back tomorrow to see if they could see her. She’s in a 40 gallon tank. The temp is usually 100-105 the colder side is at 85 degrees. There haven’t been any diet changes, I give her bath once a week. I also make sure she’s to give her calcium powder. 2 to 3 times per week. I’m so scared that I’m gonna wake up to her dead ☹️😔 Any suggestions would help!

Attachments

• 62734321-D513-4705-BDE1-9EFC91ABB4ED.jpeg
    62734321-D513-4705-BDE1-9EFC91ABB4ED.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 57120480-DE67-40C6-ADA3-5188A3A0D586.jpeg
    57120480-DE67-40C6-ADA3-5188A3A0D586.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 119

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor girl, she is very bloated looking and also dehydrated. When did she last have a bowel movement? Had she recently shown any signs of being gravid with infertile eggs? Would try to get her to lick drops of water off her nose or give her another bath and try to encourage her to drink from it. Wondered what you're using for uvb lighting and to monitor the temps?

Last edited:

Skintymini

Original Poster
Poor girl, she is very bloated looking and also dehydrated. When did she last have a bowel movement? Had she recently shown any signs of being gravid with infertile eggs?
She had a bowel movement this morning. The only I’ve noticed is her sleeping a little more but I chalked it up to season change.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a female beardie. She’s 11 months old. She was completely fine yesterday. Today she is weak lethargic, sunken eyes, and looks extremely bloated. She won’t eat. And I gave her soak today. I called 3 vets in my area. Only 1 would may be able to help but only advised to call back tomorrow to see if they could see her. She’s in a 40 gallon tank. The temp is usually 100-105 the colder side is at 85 degrees. There haven’t been any diet changes, I give her bath once a week. I also make sure she’s to give her calcium powder. 2 to 3 times per week. I’m so scared that I’m gonna wake up to her dead ☹️😔 Any suggestions would help!
Along w/ the other questions asked how are you getting the basking temp? Stick on or a digital probe thermometer- also what are you using for a uvb? Coil or tube?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have 100 watt lamp. Also how do I check for eggs? Forgive me for not knowing. 😩
If the temps are off or the UVB lighting isn't perfect, it can totally affect their behavior as well as making them not want to bask under the lights. Does your UVB bulb fit in a round dome or is it a long fluorescent tube? Are you using a round gauge, digital strip thermometer that changes color, a digital or a temperature gun to monitor the temps? Sharing a picture showing the whole front of the tank as well as the basking area could be very helpful. Also what supplements including calcium powder are you using? Sorry for all the questions, trying to help you figure out what's going on. How's she doing tonight? You usually can't feel infertile eggs but you would have noticed wt gain and her acting hyper, lots of glass dancing, digging motions on the bottom of her tank etc. Had you noticed any of that behavior recently like 2 or 3 weeks ago? She could possibly be egg bound. Another thought, could a toxic bug have gotten into her tank? Hope you can get her to see an exotic vet asap. Please keep us updated on how things are going.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She does look sick, possibly eggbound like Diamc mentioned as a possibility. Tell the vet tomorrow that it's an emergency, if she's eggbound it can kill her. Another question, was she out her tank and possibly swallowed a foreign object ? It's not uncommon . Xrays or ultrasound will help so the vet can see if she's full of eggs or impacted with something. Another possibility is a tumor but there is usually more of a gradual sign of severe distress . I hope it's none of those things, best wishes for a good outcome !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it looks as if she is definitely in distress. Eggs as mentioned is a big possibility, so do let the vet know it is an emergency.
Egg binding if left untreated is fatal. I hope you are able to get help for her, let us know how things are going.
We do need to know the type/brand of UVB lighting too, just to be sure she is getting adequate UVB lighting.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom