Is my setup ok?

Beardie name(s)
Gordon
Hi, first time posting, love the forums, so much valuable info here.

We've had our Beardie about 5 months now and I'm constantly agonising over setup, temps, general health etc. so thought I'd run a few things past you knowledgeable folk.

Details about specific kit can be found on my profile, though I'll attach the pics here too.

Firstly I realise the risks around loose substrate, we took the advice of the seller that BeardieLife was fine to use but in the interests of safety (and ease of cleaning) I'll be switching to tiles or vinyl (y)

Basking temp is around 100-105 but the Viv isn't that tall so the basking light fitting + bulb hangs quite low and restricts my options for changing the height of the basking spot. I was considering cutting out a section of the wooden top and placing a mesh lid over it with a heat lamp sitting on top to give me a bit more control if that sounds reasonable?

This would also give me better airflow and the option of using a CHE at the cool end for winter nights (our house gets pretty cold)

The T5 UVB tube runs along the back at the warm end, not sure if this needs bringing forward to sit more above the basking spot?

Would really appreciate any feedback/advice.

All in all he's doing ok, his poop can be a bit mushy at times which is why I want to make sure lighting and temp is spot on. He has lazy days where he doesn't come out much or spends the morning hiding but then comes out to bask in the afternoon. Other days he van be quite lively. Eats salad most days and usually locusts once a day, though again he has occasional days where he's not interested in food.

Many thanks

Attachments

• 20220809_152208.jpg
    20220809_152208.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 20220809_152310.jpg
    20220809_152310.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220809_152321.jpg
    20220809_152321.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 79

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, first time posting, love the forums, so much valuable info here.

We've had our Beardie about 5 months now and I'm constantly agonising over setup, temps, general health etc. so thought I'd run a few things past you knowledgeable folk.

Details about specific kit can be found on my profile, though I'll attach the pics here too.

Firstly I realise the risks around loose substrate, we took the advice of the seller that BeardieLife was fine to use but in the interests of safety (and ease of cleaning) I'll be switching to tiles or vinyl (y)

Basking temp is around 100-105 but the Viv isn't that tall so the basking light fitting + bulb hangs quite low and restricts my options for changing the height of the basking spot. I was considering cutting out a section of the wooden top and placing a mesh lid over it with a heat lamp sitting on top to give me a bit more control if that sounds reasonable?

This would also give me better airflow and the option of using a CHE at the cool end for winter nights (our house gets pretty cold)

The T5 UVB tube runs along the back at the warm end, not sure if this needs bringing forward to sit more above the basking spot?

Would really appreciate any feedback/advice.

All in all he's doing ok, his poop can be a bit mushy at times which is why I want to make sure lighting and temp is spot on. He has lazy days where he doesn't come out much or spends the morning hiding but then comes out to bask in the afternoon. Other days he van be quite lively. Eats salad most days and usually locusts once a day, though again he has occasional days where he's not interested in food.

Many thanks
Please raise the basking bulb to at least 6 inches if you haft to cut the top please do - your running the risk of him getting burned - hes not basking because the bulb is too close and I am gonna say too hot--- please get 2 digital probe thermometers place on the spot where he would bask and get the temp - you want surface basking temp 95-100 hes getting older and will not want that hot of temps now - next please change the basking bulb out to a clear solid bright white bulb examples are Flukers - Exo Terra Intense- Zoo Med Repti basking or Arcadia Halogen -
the heat emitter is good to have and temps in the tank at night should be 65-75 ambient
the UVB needs to be 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece and please off the back wall - pull it out some --
he needs insects every day for a baby - 1 year old - dusted w/ calcium D3 once per feeding or / one time per day - your dragon needs protein everyday that is his main diet its great hes eating salads but he needs the protein - he should be offered insects 2 times per day --

YorkshireBeard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gordon
Many thanks for the quick reply.

I'll go with the plan of cutting a section out of the top and buying a screen to lay over it (like the one attached?) though my original picture may be misleading - the distance between the basking bulb and the rock beneath is around 8".

In the meantime I'll lower the basking temp a bit and move the UVB forward too.

Out of interest may I ask what the significance of the solid white basking bulb is? The one I have is an Arcadia Basking spotlight, I didn't see any other types of Arcadia to choose from so a bit confused about what the difference is.

I offer him insects every day, occasionally he turns them down. Once a day was the advice of the pet shop, I'll increase to twice daily. Again the advice given was to dust 5x week with EarthPro-A which contains Calcium + other minerals & vitamins (no specific mention of D3 though) and the other 2 days with EarthPro-Ca which is just calcium. Is there a more suitable powder I should be using?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and for the advice.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-09 165200.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-09 165200.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 62

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Many thanks for the quick reply.

I'll go with the plan of cutting a section out of the top and buying a screen to lay over it (like the one attached?) though my original picture may be misleading - the distance between the basking bulb and the rock beneath is around 8".

In the meantime I'll lower the basking temp a bit and move the UVB forward too.

Out of interest may I ask what the significance of the solid white basking bulb is? The one I have is an Arcadia Basking spotlight, I didn't see any other types of Arcadia to choose from so a bit confused about what the difference is.

I offer him insects every day, occasionally he turns them down. Once a day was the advice of the pet shop, I'll increase to twice daily. Again the advice given was to dust 5x week with EarthPro-A which contains Calcium + other minerals & vitamins (no specific mention of D3 though) and the other 2 days with EarthPro-Ca which is just calcium. Is there a more suitable powder I should be using?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and for the advice.
The basking bulb looks to have a yellowish hue to it -- you dont want that - you want to mimic the sun so to speak and we always recommend a clear solid bright white bulb - I dont know if that bulb is offering UVA or not but the ones I recommended do --- switch it out and see what he does - please get the digital probe thermometers I recommended as well - these things I have been talking about are imperative to the dragons health and behavior - you want a calcium w/ D3 in it especially for babies - they need it for growth of the bones and the UVB is what helps them absorb it and synthesize it --- when he gets to be a year old you will need to switch to a calcium w/ NO phosphorus given on days when you insect feed and since your using a T 5 you will only need to give the D3 once a week --- please make the adjustments and watch his behavior --- surface basking temps you have going could be the reason for not basking - so we need to make some adjustments and see what he does

YorkshireBeard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gordon
Thank you, really appreciate it.

The colour of the actual bulb is white, it's not tinted or anything - its the light emitting from it that has the warm yellow hue to it. The box states UVA too (y)

I've got digital probe thermometers and have lowered the temp slightly, basking surface now reads 97 so I'll see if that affects his behaviour. Will definitely be happier once I've moved the light upwards though, I presume the screen I attached will be fine for standing a dome on top of with no fire hazard?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you, really appreciate it.

The colour of the actual bulb is white, it's not tinted or anything - its the light emitting from it that has the warm yellow hue to it. The box states UVA too (y)

I've got digital probe thermometers and have lowered the temp slightly, basking surface now reads 97 so I'll see if that affects his behaviour. Will definitely be happier once I've moved the light upwards though, I presume the screen I attached will be fine for standing a dome on top of with no fire hazard?
Yes your screen will be fine -- see what he does when adjustments are made --- is he pooping ok? He should be pooping about every day as they get older they will slow down on pooping ---

YorkshireBeard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gordon
Yes your screen will be fine -- see what he does when adjustments are made --- is he pooping ok? He should be pooping about every day as they get older they will slow down on pooping ---

His poop habit is erratic, sometimes its every couple of days, other times it can be once a week. Perhaps due to not enough insects and/or not enough basking?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
His poop habit is erratic, sometimes its every couple of days, other times it can be once a week. Perhaps due to not enough insects and/or not enough basking?
yes all the above -- but normally for babies its pretty consistent -- increase the feeding and get his surface basking temps to 95-100 --- see if that will help w/ the basking times - he does need to bask more especially at his age - they usually spend the majority of the time under that light -- along w/ the UVB --- I still would try changing out the basking bulb --- it may or may not help but at least we will know if that is the culprit and you will have another basking bulb on hand -- you want to keep them on hand anyway -- I always keep extras

YorkshireBeard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gordon
Do you have a link to an appropriate bulb? Arcadia tend to be available in our local stores but they all look to be the same type I have.

Thank you, appreciate the time you've taken to reply.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do you have a link to an appropriate bulb? Arcadia tend to be available in our local stores but they all look to be the same type I have.

Thank you, appreciate the time you've taken to reply.

YorkshireBeard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gordon
Just a quick update - so far so good (y)

He took a while to come out this morning but once he did he's been on the basking spot non-stop. Had his first batch of insects and quite happily laid there for over 2 hours now.

Amazing what a difference that 5 degrees has made.
UVB moved further in towards basking spot too.

Thank you again @KarrieRee for all the help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just a quick update - so far so good (y)

He took a while to come out this morning but once he did he's been on the basking spot non-stop. Had his first batch of insects and quite happily laid there for over 2 hours now.

Amazing what a difference that 5 degrees has made.
UVB moved further in towards basking spot too.

Thank you again @KarrieRee for all the help
Good to hear -- did you change out the basking bulb or are you still using the Arcadia - try one of the other bulbs as well - its not going to hurt -

YorkshireBeard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gordon
Not yet, those types are not readily available from nearby stores so will have to order them from elsewhere. So for the time being the Arcadia is still in (it looks very similar to the Exo Terra one you suggested, definitely no colour) but I'll order some of the others for trying out.

I'll also continue with my plans for installing a mesh panel on top for the basking light and a CHE ready for winter.

He's had some salad and moved to his cool end for a bit now after 3 hours of basking. Will see what happens after a 2nd course of locusts later...

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom