Is My Beardie Not Getting Enough Water???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikki1292

I'm concerned that Gizmo isn't getting enough water. I give him a bath for 15 minutes every four days and he only drinks the bath water once in a while. I have a water dish that is always full but he never touches it. Also, I fill his salad dish with some water when I give him his greens so that he actually drinks something. I'm just a little worried because I heard that you can tell if they are dehydrated if they have skin "rolls" and he does. Should I give him a bath more often? How do I get him to drink from his water dish? Thoughts?

Screamin99

Juvie Member
Water in his viv could raise humidity and cause more problems.

Bath every 2-3 days for 20 miuntes with water up to his shoulders.. drop drops of water off your fingers onto his nose/snout and he might drink that way. Other then that they get water through just eating salad period. You can also try misting him or her. Pull him out of the tank and lightly mist him a few times a day every other day.

I bath laslow about every 2-3 days sometimes I let him go a little longer if I forget a bath but hes always fine. poo is always well hydrated.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Nikki1292":e2e68 said:
I'm concerned that Gizmo isn't getting enough water. I give him a bath for 15 minutes every four days and he only drinks the bath water once in a while. I have a water dish that is always full but he never touches it. Also, I fill his salad dish with some water when I give him his greens so that he actually drinks something. I'm just a little worried because I heard that you can tell if they are dehydrated if they have skin "rolls" and he does. Should I give him a bath more often? How do I get him to drink from his water dish? Thoughts?

It's normal (typical even) that he's not preferring to drink from a dish. It's a common dragon behavior, so no worries! :mrgreen: This is why it is important to bathe regularly as dragons who do not regularly drink by mouth will take the bulk of their water in at the vent (where they poop :wink: ). So long as the water is going in through a mucus membrane be it mouth or vent, all is good. A bath 2-4 times per week, baby warm water, up to shoulders, 15-20 minutes should keep your dragon sufficiently hydrated. Also, if you are gut loading crickets with moisture and your dragon is eating some veggies and fruits, he is getting additional water this way. If the humidity in the viv is between normal levels (30-50%), then leaving a water dish in is perfectly fine. However, many opt to take it if dragon isn't interested and in particular if there are humidity issues in the tank. Our humidity levels are particularly affected by a water dish in the tank however, most of the time I don't provide one because our dragon could care less. If he is in a body shed, I will put a large dish in that he can bathe in... this is the ONLY time he is interested in water in the viv.

To gauge whether or not he's sufficiently hydrated, simply examine the urate (immediately after he poops is best, if possible). If it's soft and/or runny, then your dragon is well hydrated. If it's hard or chalky, then you'll want to increase the number of weekly baths.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

Em

Gail

BD.org Addict
My dragon doesn't drink in the bath nor does he eat enough greens to get estra water so I give him water by mouth every day. I just use needless syringe to drip the water in his mouth, once he starts to lick he will drink until he is full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom