Is my beardie dying?

Alyssavallejos

Original Poster
So this morning my bearded dragon was perfectly fine. I took him out of his cage and fed him a good amount of mealworms. Right after he finished eating I took him outside, in his cage to bask in the natural sunlight. I check back on him an hour later and his beard is all black. I let him roam around the grass and he threw up thick spit and his mealworms. So I took him back inside to his cage and let him rest for a bit. His beard was still black. I then put him in a warm bath but then 10 minutes later, he threw up again, just thick spit. So now he’s basking in his tank with a black beard and is twitching and shaking. He stays in one spot and just twitches. He’ll sometimes calm down but his beard is still black. I really don’t know if it’s a clogged nose or dehydration or WHAT. PLEASE HELP.

Attachments

• 2ADEE0A3-7B9A-4853-8BA6-285257D4C57C.jpeg
    2ADEE0A3-7B9A-4853-8BA6-285257D4C57C.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 136

Alyssavallejos

Original Poster
So this morning my bearded dragon was perfectly fine. I took him out of his cage and fed him a good amount of mealworms. Right after he finished eating I took him outside, in his cage to bask in the natural sunlight. I check back on him an hour later and his beard is all black. I let him roam around the grass and he threw up thick spit and his mealworms. So I took him back inside to his cage and let him rest for a bit. His beard was still black. I then put him in a warm bath but then 10 minutes later, he threw up again, just thick spit. So now he’s basking in his tank with a black beard and is twitching and shaking. He stays in one spot and just twitches. He’ll sometimes calm down but his beard is still black. I really don’t know if it’s a clogged nose or dehydration or WHAT. PLEASE HELP.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 78

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What type of enclosure was he in outside? How is he doing right now?

I hope you did not put him out in his glass tank. Glass acts as a magnifying glass in the hot sun, and can quickly bake a beardie.

If this is the case, he likely overheated. Does he drink for you if you drip water on his mouth?

-Brandon

Last edited:

Alyssavallejos

Original Poster

-Brandon
It’s more of a tortoise enclosure that’s filled with bark and a water bowl. I let him outside and hang in there usually for natural sunlight and when it’s 90 degrees usually. Right now he still twitches. He tried walking but struggles. He’s just closing his eyes and trying to sleep I think but his beard is still black.

Alyssavallejos

Original Poster

I hope you did not put him out in his glass tank. Glass acts as a magnifying glass in the hot sun, and can quickly bake a beardie.

If this is the case, he likely overheated. Does he drink for you if you drip water on his mouth?

-Brandon
It’s not glass and I usually let him sit in a cat litter box and filled with warm water. He never drinks water from his mouth

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom