Is my beardie dying?

katierose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taffy
My bearded dragon is suddenly acting very strange. I got her four days ago and she’s been doing great up till about an hour ago. I held her for the first time today and she was really chill and seemed to love it. When I put her back in her tank she flattened herself against the cooler side of the tank (which she never hangs out in). I left her alone for a bit and when I came back she hadn’t moved and I couldn’t see her breathing. I decided to try and give her a bath since I realized she hadn’t pooped since I got her. I put her in the water and she pooped a TON. Like LOTS and she seemed to be much much happier. But when I put her back in her tank she went straight back to the cooler side and flattened herself against the ground and still won’t move. I’m really really worried as this is my first bearded dragon and I just don’t know what to do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 3FF9BFD7-06A6-4B16-82B6-085ABBB7C93E.jpeg
    3FF9BFD7-06A6-4B16-82B6-085ABBB7C93E.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 123

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They will kind of do what they want like that, being that she's in a new environment the relocation can make them a bit stressed so just give her time. BTW, that's an average sized poo.

katierose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taffy
They will kind of do what they want like that, being that she's in a new environment the relocation can make them a bit stressed so just give her time. BTW, that's an average sized poo.
Oh wow is it really? There were lots of like smaller pieces of poop that came out first and then that bigger piece came out last. There was also what looked like undigested mealworm shells. Should I stop feeding her mealworms?

katierose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taffy
Mealworms are O.K as part of the diet but be sure to use other insects as well as greens . Also be sure that you have the proper temps + uvb for digestion.
I feed her kale, carrots, and a wax worm every morning and dubia roaches and mealworms twice a day. The temps on the hot side are around 95-100F and the uvb bulb I have is a thrive 10.0 bulb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I feed her kale, carrots, and a wax worm every morning and dubia roaches and mealworms twice a day. The temps on the hot side are around 95-100F and the uvb bulb I have is a thrive 10.0 bulb
That sounds like a coil -- please replace w/ a long tube fixture for a 40 gallon tank a 24" zoo med
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will.come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for back up you want this bulb 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO please order this right away she's not getting adequate uvb and could be the reason she's not basking- when you get it please post back on here I will help you get it set up for your tank -- distance and placement will be determined by your screen

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is a good sized dragon. As AHBD mentioned, they will lay like that, relax, etc. They can take
a little while to acclimate to a new home but she should be just fine.
The Thrive is a bulb made in China I believe & isn't a real strong one. We all recommend either the
Reptisun or the Arcadia brand, they are both very good. They do need good quality UVB lighting to
keep their bones strong.
Are you planning on giving supplementation for her?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

katierose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taffy
Hello,

She is a good sized dragon. As AHBD mentioned, they will lay like that, relax, etc. They can take
a little while to acclimate to a new home but she should be just fine.
The Thrive is a bulb made in China I believe & isn't a real strong one. We all recommend either the
Reptisun or the Arcadia brand, they are both very good. They do need good quality UVB lighting to
keep their bones strong.
Are you planning on giving supplementation for her?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
I’m planning on going out tomorrow morning and getting the lamp and hood recommended for her! I sprinkle her food every morning with calcium and a little bit of calcium with d3. When I woke up this morning she was still in that same corner but she had her head up and she ate a roach. She wouldn’t get up to go to her food bowl but she ate when I put the roach in front of her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’m planning on going out tomorrow morning and getting the lamp and hood recommended for her! I sprinkle her food every morning with calcium and a little bit of calcium with d3. When I woke up this morning she was still in that same corner but she had her head up and she ate a roach. She wouldn’t get up to go to her food bowl but she ate when I put the roach in front of her.
Sounds good - most pet stores do not carry what is recommended but will carry the T 8 bulb- it is not as strong as the one I recommended and will haft to go inside the tank - please try and get what is posted above - Pet Smart has started carrying this one Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb look for that one if you have a Pet Smart - they have been sold out of this for awhile - the website I posted for you usually has them as well but have been out -- you can try and see if they have it there - the Zoo Med is a good fixture w/ the T 5 bulb

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a great sign her head was up & she is alert. I'm sure that she will continue to improve
& become more active once she adjusts to her new home.
She will most likely really enjoy the new lighting that you will be getting her.
Let us know how things are going & be sure to post pictures of the entire tank setup once you
are finished.

Tracie

katierose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taffy
That sounds like a coil -- please replace w/ a long tube fixture for a 40 gallon tank a 24" zoo med
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will.come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for back up you want this bulb 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO please order this right away she's not getting adequate uvb and could be the reason she's not basking- when you get it please post back on here I will help you get it set up for your tank -- distance and placement will be determined by your screen
I just went to 3 different pet stores but I finally found what I needed. I got the proT5 Arcadia uvb light kit and set it up in the tank. I also got a stronger heat basking bulb (100w instead of 75w) and more decor for her tank. I’m hoping this works!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 80

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That Arcadia D3 T5 tube bulb is very good. That should hopefully help him out greatly.
Has he been basking under it thus far? The extra heat for basking should improve his
behavior & activity.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom