Is my Beardie Dead

Giana2104

Original Poster
Hello, I just joined this website to confirm whether this looks like a dead bearded dragon or not. He did a lot of strange things yesterday and we though we had confirmed it to be because of brumation. Now he looks dead and I’m pretty sure he did but just to be sure as a first time owner. He is around 2 years old his temperatures seem to be normal nothing has changed in his diet or habitat except for one light bulb change. The first notice or anything bad was yesterday morning when he was observed sun basking.
We turned down the heat alittle as we noticed it was alittle too high. Next thing we knew maybe an hour later he was looking he was sleeping but not moving. We did a rehydration Gatorade bath as suggested by a firednly pet store owner ( we don’t have an exotic pets store anywhere near us) That helped as we noticed his eyes open and we noticed more breathing. After research we concluded that this was our beardes first time brumating due to a drop in the pressure outside the night before.

Turns out we could have been horrible wrong. I saw him around 11 am today sluggish and hanging over his food bowl. As a way to aid his comfort I moved him to the floor of his cage and found him about 5 hours later in a slightly turned direction, not seeming to be moving. Eyes half closed and drool started to come out of his mouth. I immediately went to do the same thing as we did yesterday with the bath and all and nothing his breathing and eyes, nothing changed. I placed him in bed to watch over. He has a horrible smell omitting from hIm as well.

If you do think this is death let me know and if you know about anything that could have happened it him let me know please.

Is 2 years old a normal age for a captive beardie to die?

I HAVE SUPPLIED PHOTOS The first is from today and his current state while the other was yesterday after he opened his eyes for the first time.

Attachments

• 0185409C-9E7D-4E3A-9606-A52C88EC124F.jpeg
    0185409C-9E7D-4E3A-9606-A52C88EC124F.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 938BC986-2D14-48E1-B774-C05A2A2FE8A6.jpeg
    938BC986-2D14-48E1-B774-C05A2A2FE8A6.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 105

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He does not look very good there. How long have you had him?
At 2 years of age, that isn't a normal age for them to pass. For normal captive dragons, they
should have a lifespan of around 8-12 years on average.
Are you seeing any movement or breathing at all from him?
Unfortunately, if he does have a smell to him then that isn't a very good sign.
Let us know how things are going.
Situations like this, are never ever easy.

Tracie

Giana2104

Original Poster
Hello,

At 2 years of age, that isn't a normal age for them to pass. For normal captive dragons, they

Tracie
Unfortunately, he did pass. We are all devastated, we have no clue what could have happened as he was literally fine the day before. Nothing changed in his diet enclosure or anything except for that new light bulb change. Thank you for your help though.

Giana2104

Original Poster
Hello,

Tracie
We have only had him for approximately 18 months I say he is two because we believe we bought him at 3-4 months old. It’s so sad we never expected this to happen so soon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We have only had him for approximately 18 months I say he is two because we believe we bought him at 3-4 months old. It’s so sad we never expected this to happen so soon
I am so sorry to hear that he passed --- can you tell me what you were using for a UVB brand and bulb please and what were your surface basking temps? How were you taking them?

Giana2104

Original Poster
I am so sorry to hear that he passed --- can you tell me what you were using for a UVB brand and bulb please and what were your surface basking temps? How were you taking them?
We take his temperatures through three indications on on the side of his tank, one in the middle and the one in the middle has humidity as well. As we looked throughout the day we saw tempterautres of high 80s to low 90s. I’m pretty sure my mom got the bulbs off of Amazon I’m not sure what brand.

Giana2104

Original Poster
We take his temperatures through three indications on on the side of his tank, one in the middle and the one in the middle has humidity as well. As we looked throughout the day we saw tempterautres of high 80s to low 90s. I’m pretty sure my mom got the bulbs off of Amazon I’m not sure what brand.
It’s really hard to talk about him to her right now as she was his primary care taker and is torn up. Would a bulb brand really kill him though?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s really hard to talk about him to her right now as she was his primary care taker and is torn up. Would a bulb brand really kill him though?
Yes incorrect surface basking temps and incorrect UVB-- I am sorry your mom is taking it so hard but it is understandable- stick ons are good for ambient temps only and if a coil for UVB was used they are inadequate- going forward if you are going to get another dragon please come here and ask for advice about correct husbandry --- we would be more than happy to help you -- we want all dragons on here to thrive when people come --- again I am so sorry -- :(

Giana2104

Original Poster
Yes incorrect surface basking temps and incorrect UVB-- I am sorry your mom is taking it so hard but it is understandable- stick ons are good for ambient temps only and if a coil for UVB was used they are inadequate- going forward if you are going to get another dragon please come here and ask for advice about correct husbandry --- we would be more than happy to help you -- we want all dragons on here to thrive when people come --- again I am so sorry -- :(
I don’t think we’re looking for anymore pets at the moment but now that I’ve discovered this place I’m not leaving.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I lost my girl in April, she was fine in the morning and died the same day. It can happen.please stay involved with the community and maybe get your mom to come here also, thete are a ton of people here that can help you with any questions you have. I hope eventually you get another beardie, they are amazing pets.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My mom said he’s had the same bulbs and stuff since forever so idk what it could have been and yeah that makes sense just one day it all started and he died the next day
They were expired uvb's the T 8 's or T 5 have different expiration dates- basking bulbs loose heat or blow out - all this is crucial to a dragons health- I am surprised the dragon was eating

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom