Is my bearded dragon underweight or dehydrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

Beardie name(s)
Agni
I'm not sure if my bearded dragon is underweight or dehydrated he's eating his greens but seems wrinkled and he eats about 8 roaches a day

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220326-230244_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220326-230244_Gallery.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_20220326-230237_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220326-230237_Gallery.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 89

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'm not sure if my bearded dragon is underweight or dehydrated he's eating his greens but seems wrinkled and he eats about 8 roaches a day
He looks a little thin -- how old is the dragon? If hes eating his greens please start rinsing before serving he will get moisture from that - what else is he eating besides the roaches and salad ? Any worms? Super- horn and meal worms are good for treats - here is a website for nutrition the kale is a good staple feeder
Nutrition Content
What are you using for a UVB? Coils are inadequate -- basking temps should be surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - another important factor for growth and development

Brodie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Agni
He looks a little thin -- how old is the dragon? If hes eating his greens please start rinsing before serving he will get moisture from that - what else is he eating besides the roaches and salad ? Any worms? Super- horn and meal worms are good for treats - here is a website for nutrition the kale is a good staple feeder
Nutrition Content
What are you using for a UVB? Coils are inadequate -- basking temps should be surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - another important factor for growth and development
I give him superworms and horn worms as treats also BSFL, he's has a t5 high out put 5.0 and I have a heat gun to take basking temps

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I give him superworms and horn worms as treats also BSFL, he's has a t5 high out put 5.0 and I have a heat gun to take basking temps
Ok so good UVB but I recommend changing the 5.0 to a 10.0 T 5 if your using a 24" fixture anything smaller the 10.0 bulb will not fit and you will need to buy another longer fixture like a 24" and unless your tank is less than 18" high a T 8 bulb would need to be used like the 5.0 since its similar - the 5.0 is more for aquarium use and not as strong - the 5.0 needs to be unobstructed w/ nothing in between the bulb and the dragon- distance in the tank 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor - the 10.0 can sit on top of the screen IF its a wide hole type other wise it needs to go into the tank as well distance distance 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor --- expiration dates for bulb 5.0 6 months recommend 5 the T 5 one year recommending 1 month prior to --- I recommend getting a digital probe thermometer 2 of them for surface basking temps - one for the cool side as well IR guns are good but sometimes they cannot read off of certain materials like hammocks for one - your worms are good but I think it has more to do w/ your lighting -- changing out the UVB bulb his appetite is going to increase --

Brodie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Agni
Ok so good UVB but I recommend changing the 5.0 to a 10.0 T 5 if your using a 24" fixture anything smaller the 10.0 bulb will not fit and you will need to buy another longer fixture like a 24" and unless your tank is less than 18" high a T 8 bulb would need to be used like the 5.0 since its similar - the 5.0 is more for aquarium use and not as strong - the 5.0 needs to be unobstructed w/ nothing in between the bulb and the dragon- distance in the tank 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor - the 10.0 can sit on top of the screen IF its a wide hole type other wise it needs to go into the tank as well distance distance 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor --- expiration dates for bulb 5.0 6 months recommend 5 the T 5 one year recommending 1 month prior to --- I recommend getting a digital probe thermometer 2 of them for surface basking temps - one for the cool side as well IR guns are good but sometimes they cannot read off of certain materials like hammocks for one - your worms are good but I think it has more to do w/ your lighting -- changing out the UVB bulb his appetite is going to increase --
Thanks for the help I'm building his new enclosure and I'll change out his 5.0 to a 10.0and in I'll make sure I'll mount it with in the correct ranges

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I think it sounds like you have done your homework and are doing a good job.
He's in a pretty good shed right now, so it could be he's just looking that way because of that. Looks like s/he is going to be very pretty. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom