Is My Baby Beardie Overweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
20211128_135625.jpg

Hi guys, I'm new to this site and also to owning a beardie. This little girl (I think) is literally my whole heart and I've only had her for a month but I adore her. I think she's about 2 months old and since I brought her home she's doubled in size from maybe 3.5 inches to over 7! She eats her insects really well but wont touch her greens at all. I try to mix her salads up every few days even adding fruits like blueberries and apples and veggies like carrots and bell peppers along with the greens but she still wont touch it. I've even tried making her a slurry and dropping it on her nose but that didn't go over well either. My friends joke that I feed her better than I feed myself. Anyway for insects she eats a lot of crickets, she loves them, as well as wax worms and phoenix worms (which she doesnt like as much). I recently bought her some silk worms to try and she seems to love those too. Basically anything that moves she likes lol. I thought her diet was good but now I'm a little concerned about her potential weight gain. I didn't see a problem at first but my friends and family have all started calling her "chunky" and "fat" and pointing out her stomach and I'm starting to wonder if maybe they're right. Shes pretty active and runs around her tank. When I let her out to free roam she sprints laps around my bedroom and climbs on everything so it's not like she's lazy at all. Does she look a little big to anyone else? Should I be concerned? Also what should I do to get her to eat her veggies because honestly I'm getting desperate at this point.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
View attachment 65537
Hi guys, I'm new to this site and also to owning a beardie. This little girl (I think) is literally my whole heart and I've only had her for a month but I adore her. I think she's about 2 months old and since I brought her home she's doubled in size from maybe 3.5 inches to over 7! She eats her insects really well but wont touch her greens at all. I try to mix her salads up every few days even adding fruits like blueberries and apples and veggies like carrots and bell peppers along with the greens but she still wont touch it. I've even tried making her a slurry and dropping it on her nose but that didn't go over well either. My friends joke that I feed her better than I feed myself. Anyway for insects she eats a lot of crickets, she loves them, as well as wax worms and phoenix worms (which she doesnt like as much). I recently bought her some silk worms to try and she seems to love those too. Basically anything that moves she likes lol. I thought her diet was good but now I'm a little concerned about her potential weight gain. I didn't see a problem at first but my friends and family have all started calling her "chunky" and "fat" and pointing out her stomach and I'm starting to wonder if maybe they're right. Shes pretty active and runs around her tank. When I let her out to free roam she sprints laps around my bedroom and climbs on everything so it's not like she's lazy at all. Does she look a little big to anyone else? Should I be concerned? Also what should I do to get her to eat her veggies because honestly I'm getting desperate at this point.
Welcome to the forum ---
Shes got a belly going that is for sure --- how many insects are you feeding her? And how many times per day? Are you dusting the insects w/ supplements? Now for the phoenix worms or BSFL does she eat them? If she does please start putting those on top of her salads before you feed the crickets --- use them as a lure to the bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Feed first thing in the morning after she has had time to warm up - feed as many as you want DO NOT dust them --- then about 1 hr later or so feed the crickets --- I would get her switched over to dubia roaches they are easier to handle in the bowl and she will not eat as many as they are more filling and more nutritious ---- easier to care for as well --- make sure you have good UVB NO coils please and good basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- surface basking temps please --- lay off the wax worms they are very fattening --- you can use some medium size super worms 1-3 every other day for salad lures as well --- make sure you drop the BSFL on top of her salads in front of her it will get her attention to the salad bowl -- but we need her to eat some of the salads even a few bites would be good - please make sure your dusting her insects w/ calcium D3 and vitamin w/ beta carotene - cal D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lighting coated vitamins 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated --- the most important thing tho is that UVB and basking temps if they are not correct she will quit eating ---- the UVB is what helps her absorb the calcium and the basking temps are what start the digestion

Kingston

Try ordering some bee pollen and sprinkle it on her veggies, it helps her eat veggies, which will make her eat less bugs, and overall she will lose some weight. This worked well with my beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom