Is it safe for them to go underwater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tattykassy

Juvie Member
My beardie is about 6 1/2 months old and doing well so far. Lately when I give him a bath he seems to want to stick his whole head under water. Is that safe? I've read a few posts on here of other people's dragons going underwater and seemed to be fine, I guess I'm just worried he will get water in his ears and nose and maybe develop respiratory issues because of it? I've been mostly holding him now to make sure he doesn't stick his head under and he seems to just rest his head on my finger as low as he can get it.
Why would he want to do this? :?:

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Usually, if they dunk their heads, it means they want to drink. You just have to watch very closely to make sure he doesn't aspire any water

tattykassy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
See the beardies at the store I work at do what it is you are describing, stick their face's into the water and drink. Mine seems to want to dunk his ENTIRE head into the water, completely submerging his entire head.
I haven't let him do it, because I am afraid that water will get into his ears. Normally I put drops of water onto the end of his nose or spray his veggies to make them extra watery and give him a bath every 2 days, and so far this seems okay his poops have been normal and he is not wrinkled.
What happens if he does aspire water? What happens if water gets into his ears?

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
My girl sticks her whole head under too. They're not water creatures by any stretch but they're not gonna be hurt by it either. They'll be fine, its not unlike you getting water in your ears or nose. Uncomfortable for a few minutes, but they get over it.

tattykassy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Good to know :)
Next time I'll let him do it for a few seconds to see how he reacts, maybe he knows better then me and its something he just really wants to do....
:shock:

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Well its probably an instinctual thing. Like I said, mine tries to swim but clearly she can't make any sort of progress because its too shallow. Perhaps your little guy is trying the same thing?

tattykassy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Its possible, I have noticed that when I put him in the bathtub I usually put enough water so that its up to his shoulders and he usually just sits there looking at me like "Don't you leave me here!!" but if I put him in his little container on the couch with me, there is usually only an inch and a half of water and thats when he tries to dunk himself completely.
Maybe he just likes it deeper and when its shallow he is trying to get more submerged?

tattykassy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
lol that made me smile! :lol: Look at him go, wigglin' around in the water like a pro!
Maybe thats what mine wants to do?? Next time its bath time I'm going to experiment a bit :)

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
They're a basking/desert animal so more than likely no, they don't like swimming. Although there could be a rare dragon that enjoys it... who knows? I wouldn't force my dragon to swim though.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
I have really wondered about this myself. Razz will look like he is trying to put his head under water as well, but I can clearly tell that he is trying to get out...of the bottom of the clear bin.

He does not comprehend barriers that are clear and he knows he can't jump out, so he is trying to get out from below and it really looks like he wants his head under.

I realize that some *will* put their head under to drink so I think you have to be careful and really attuned to your dragon.

I have seen videos where it is clear the poor dragon just wants a way out but the people think they are *having a blast swimming*. I always feel sorry for the poor beardie. There of course is always the exception! I know there are beardies on here who truly love their baths!

When a beardie willing jumps into the water when they see their bath ready, then you know they like it :mrgreen:

I am just saying that you really need to know your dragon and watch their signs carefully :D

Sorry! That sounded *soapboxy* LOL Not intended that way :shock:

~Sherri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom