Is it ok to wave at my beardy bobbing his head

idk_life1099

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
So I'm sewing my beardy a harness/sweater and while I was putting it on him for measurements he got stressed and started bobbing his head. He never does this, ever, he is amazingly well tempered, he isn't skittish or aggressive and is very comfortable around me(I've had him for 5 months), the only time I've seen him do this was when someone else held him in a new environment with lots of new people. so I stopped then patted him and tried to give him food to show him that I wasn't going to hurt him, he wouldn't eat and he wanted to get away from me and when he was in his enclosure he was bobbing his head like crazy. so I decided to wave my arm at him to hopefully show him that I'm safe or something, and after a bit, he started bobbing his head again and I waved and then he stopped bobbing and I picked him up, he didn't try to get away from me and now he is sitting on my chest, he seems a bit alert.

so I was wondering for the future, is it ok to wave your arm to calm him down/show him I'm not a threat when he is bobbing his head

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If its a male ..... they are gonna bob, just as well get used to it. As they start to mature, they will bob at you,the dog, the cat, the ferret, the hamster, and especially their on reflection mirrored in their habitat lol. If i set down at my desk with a black t shirt my male will bob at me most every time. Granted you were fitting him for a harness, that was beardie talk for "oh heck no you didn't". :cool:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I too wave at my beardie at times. I try to mimic her behavior, she mimics my behavior. LOL
Crazy I know, but it's fun.
Actually, now that she is getting older, she doesn't wave any more. In fact, Rocky looks at me like I am crazy.

When she was getting to know me it truly helped. I must admit, I wondered if the gesture coming from a human is the same as another beardie. To be clear, I give the submission wave- not a hello wave-
Rocky is probably thinking, "this fool" but it's totally okay.
I say, bond with your beardie whichever way works for the two of you. I totally agree with @xp29, it was probably the harness. Beardies are clear about what they like/don't like. While I am sure it's a beautiful harness, it may just be too soon for him. He will come around.

To think, I wanted a male but when I read about the head bobbing which is common, I could totally see myself getting into a head bobbing contest with him. See how life works!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good luck to you!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I too wave at my beardie at times. I try to mimic her behavior, she mimics my behavior. LOL
Crazy I know, but it's fun.
Actually, now that she is getting older, she doesn't wave any more. In fact, Rocky looks at me like I am crazy.

When she was getting to know me it truly helped. I must admit, I wondered if the gesture coming from a human is the same as another beardie. To be clear, I give the submission wave- not a hello wave-
Rocky is probably thinking, "this fool" but it's totally okay.
I say, bond with your beardie whichever way works for the two of you. I totally agree with @xp29, it was probably the harness. Beardies are clear about what they like/don't like. While I am sure it's a beautiful harness, it may just be too soon for him. He will come around.

To think, I wanted a male but when I read about the head bobbing which is common, I could totally see myself getting into a head bobbing contest with him. See how life works!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good luck to you!
Funny lol :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
So I'm sewing my beardy a harness/sweater and while I was putting it on him for measurements he got stressed and started bobbing his head. He never does this, ever, he is amazingly well tempered, he isn't skittish or aggressive and is very comfortable around me(I've had him for 5 months), the only time I've seen him do this was when someone else held him in a new environment with lots of new people. so I stopped then patted him and tried to give him food to show him that I wasn't going to hurt him, he wouldn't eat and he wanted to get away from me and when he was in his enclosure he was bobbing his head like crazy. so I decided to wave my arm at him to hopefully show him that I'm safe or something, and after a bit, he started bobbing his head again and I waved and then he stopped bobbing and I picked him up, he didn't try to get away from me and now he is sitting on my chest, he seems a bit alert.

so I was wondering for the future, is it ok to wave your arm to calm him down/show him I'm not a threat when he is bobbing his head
hA HA .... I do this .... my beardies seem to like it.

Hatchi

Beardie name(s)
Alfred AKA The UlanBaby

Sure that is ok go ahead

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom