Is it MBD? Help! Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow no tail shed yet? I guess pretty soon. It should shed soon I hope!
So it is not "looking" any different or getting hard like it would be if it were necrotic?
Uh oh, so you have spoiled him by hand feeding huh? :mrgreen: Yeah, it is all over with now, he is spoiled for sure.

Tracie

acgordon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Its not hard or necrotic, just looks the same. Yes he is very spoiled now, he just walks to the glass at feeding time and waits for me!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, then he is just taking his time shedding his tail. You would be able to tell pretty easily if the tail area were hard & necrotic. Stick with it, he will shed it soon!

Tracie

acgordon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So Roran wasn't looking any better so I took him to the vet last wednesday. They said he looked fine but gave him a B12 shot to up his appetite. He still won't eat anything but treats (wax worms) on his own but his tail and parts of his legs are FINALLY in shed! Just wanted to share my excitement! When the tail shed is finished I will post an update on his tail!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, maybe he will finally start to shed now! It tends to take much much longer for the adults to shed than babies or juvies. So he got a B12 shot huh? That should give him some energy for awhile. You could also try getting some bee pollen as well which helps with energy & immune system function.
Thanks for the update on him.

Tracie

acgordon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So Roran's tail shed on the back half! It is still a little wavy but he has reflex in the tip of his tail so I am happy. His legs are all in shed too! Took him to the vet yesterday for a check up since he is still not eating on his own. She told me to continue with the liquid calcium in addition to giving him .25 mL of vitamin B. She told me if he is still not eating on his own in a week to go get this prescription. It is Metronidazole compounded to 5mg/mL and I am to give him 1 mL a day. Just in case it comes to that I wanted to check with you guys on this since the vet said it is in the literature to it, but she has never prescribed it for this species. I want Roran to be healthy and happy, but I don't want to medicate him if he shouldn't. Thanks for all your help!

acgordon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay so the B12 got him moving and more feisty but still not eating on his own. Started him on the new meds today, sitting in his feeding tank rubbing his nose on it instead of eating! What am I supposed to do??? :banghead:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Roran doing? I would continue on the liquid calcium for the designated month, then drop the dosage after the 1 month period.
The Metronidazole, was it dosed for his weight? It doesn't appear that it was, but hopefully, it was.
Are you using probiotics such as acidophiliz, or non dairy soy yogurt? The meds will disrupt his GI tract which will cause loss of appetite.
Great to hear however, that the B12 shot did help him out somewhat. What did they prescribe the meds for?
Are you keeping him hydrated with oral fluids, daily?
I am happy that he has shed though, so the rest of his tail should finish up soon!

Tracie

acgordon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Rorans finished shedding his tail and legs, he is doing okay. The vet has always done dose by weight for me so I assumed this one was as well.
Drache613":6746b said:
Are you using probiotics such as acidophiliz, or non dairy soy yogurt?
No I am not using any of this. Just the liquid calcium, vitamins, new meds, and crickets/greens I force feed him. I didn't force him yesterday hoping he would hunt if he got hungry. No such luck, he is still just sitting in the feeding cage looking at me funny.
What did they prescribe the meds for?
All the meds have been to get him to start eating on his own.
Are you keeping him hydrated with oral fluids, daily?
He gets a bath every other day, which he hates.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You should try getting some probiotics for him. The Flagyl is very harsh on the system, & really doesn't do much for the appetite. I do not understand why vets still prescribe it for an appetite stimulant when it is most commonly used to treat flagelletes & amoebas.
If you haven't already done so, I would discontinue the Flagyl & start giving some probiotics & some oral fluids daily right now to see if that will help improve things for him.

Tracie

acgordon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Its not Flagyl, it is Metronidazole. Where would I get probiotics? I will give him the daily oral fluids.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Flagyl is the trade name for Metronidazole. :D
You can get the probiotics from several places depending on which one you want to get. If you want to get non dairy soy yogurt you can find that at a health food store fairly easily.
You can find acidophiliz & benebac here:
http://www.reptilesupply.com/index.php?cName=Medications%20%26%20Treatments&cPath=75&sort=3a&page=2

You can find nutribac here:
http://www.reptileuv.com/nutribac-df-probiotic-for-reptiles.php

How is he doing today, did you manage to get any fluids into him at all?

Tracie

acgordon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I wish I had known all that, the med was $30. He isn't too happy with the liquids but he is letting me feed him a ton before he gets fussy. Still not interested in hunting for himself. Thank you for all your help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yeah they charge too much for the meds!
At least he is letting you feed him though, & hopefully he will be feeling better soon. I am sure that he will start wanting to get his food soon, also. He will just get very spoiled in the meantime!

Tracie

acgordon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just thought I would update you, he is still not eating on his own but he is more active. Enjoys eating his veggies (from my hand) which is new. He is 17" and 303 grams so he is growing and gaining weight. He is very spoiled, hoping for him to learn to enjoy eating on his own again though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom