Is it healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! I have hermit crabs and we feed them freeze dried meal worms sometimes and when we order them I see a lot of other things to. So I was wondering if I ordered freeze dried crickets..etc.. would that still be healthy for beardies?

Luthien

Juvie Member
The only thing my beardie gets is freeze dried crickets and he is quite healthy and active. The only thing I can say is make sure they were gut loaded with nutrients before they were freeze dried :p The best brand I have found for that is fluckers.

People might say that it's not healthy but really I haven't found anything wrong with it. Both me and my best friends beardies are on it.

Erikusan

I feed my beardie live crickets that I gut-load myself, but I also give him freeze-dried grasshoppers as the occasional treat. I think the important thing with regards to freeze-dried feeders is to make sure that your bearded dragon gets enough fluids. Freeze-dried, crispy feeders don't have much (if any) water in them, so you'll want to bathe your beardie a few times per week to give it the chance to drink, or give it a couple mists from a squirt bottle every day. Of course, giving fresh vegetables every day gives them a bit of water too.

Erikusan

Well, crickets are the obvious, classic choice, and are what I feed Baz, my beardie. A close second in popularity is probably dubia roaches (blaptica dubia), which are supposedly higher in protein and other good things, make little to no noise, no smell, etc etc. They cost a good bit more than crickets, but you can actually buy little breeding kits and breed your own stock of them at your house in a Rubbermaid tub if your significant other lets you (my fiancee thinks roaches are icky and won't let me breed them because she's afraid they'll get out, which they won't if you house them correctly *sigh*).

As far as worms go, I feed my bearded dragon live superworms, which are similar to mealworms but more nutritious and less hard-shelled, resulting in fewer cases of impaction. From what I've heard, you can breed superworms as well, if you know what you're doing (which I don't). Other people swear by hornworms, phoenix worms, and a whole bunch of others that I've never tried. I've heard that most beardies go nuts for silkworms and/or wax worms, but they tend to be higher in fat (by my male human logic, that means they taste better :lol: ).

Most pet stores (or at least the ones in my area) don't have any of the fancier worms, which is why I've only ever gotten crickets and superworms. If your bearded dragon is a youngster, he'll probably drive you to the poorhouse from cricket costs, so you may want to consider ordering them online. Depending on your region, you can get a large quantity shipped to you for pretty cheap, saving money in the long run, provided they all get eaten before they get around to dying of old age.

For more nutritional information, I highly recommend beautifuldragons.com's Nutrition section. It's got a great color-coded chart of everything that a beardie should or shouldn't eat.

An important note on feeding insects and such to your bearded dragon: Make sure to dust them from time to time (frequency varies depending on age) with vitamins and calcium powder. I usually do the "shake and bake" method of putting the feeders in a plastic bag with dust and shaking it until they're pretty well covered. I think it makes them easier for my lizard to spot too, since he's got a brown reptile carpet and the crickets tend to blend in a little unless they're powdery white. :D

dragonlover234

Original Poster
Okay thank you. I don't think I will be breeding them either. Now online I see that you can choose the amount of crickets you buy. What do you think would be the correct amount to buy for a baby beardie?

Luthien

Juvie Member
For me my beardie gets absolutely no live food. I don't see the point of feeding the food when I don't have too. Fluckers crickets are pre-gut loaded so they have everything your beardie needs.

As said before they have very little water so what I do for that is give my beardie a bath every week and she has a bowl of water in her tank constantly and usually drinks from it every day.

Colesdad

our little one about 4 weeks old. He is now eating about 20 every morning and 20 at night! I feed him one at a time, he will eat out of your hand, but dont want to start a bad habit so we do once or twice during feeding. when he stops chasing them then i stop giving them. it was costing me .10 a cricket from petsmart, so, $4 a day! ouch! i just recieved my order of 500 crickets that i ordered on line for 13.00, much better!

Erikusan

Luthien":2p46qmo9 said:
For me my beardie gets absolutely no live food. I don't see the point of feeding the food when I don't have too.

In my experience and from what I've read, bearded dragons love to chase and catch their food. It gives them exercise and promotes their natural hunting behavior. Plus, my beardie looks so proud once he's gotten a particularly sneaky cricket. Of course, that might just be me imagining things. I doubt live feeders are required, but they definitely seem to be preferred.

dragonlover234

Original Poster
Wow ordering online is much cheaper than buying at our local pet store!! I would feel proud to if I caught a sneeky little cricket haha. Now who would you guys recommend I buy from?

PetLover

Hatchling Member
My leatherback is a great eater. He loves to eat his dark green lettuce, etc. in the late afternoon. I think he'd eat 3 dozen crickets a day if I gave him that many. To satisfy his appetite, I have been giving him "Nature Zone ready to eat BITES for bearded dragons" that my breeder recommended. It's a complete nutrition with Amino Acids (Proteins), vitamins and minerals. When I first put a dish of it down in his tank, he just sat looking at it, so I picked one up and dropped it in front of him on the tile flooring. He then reached out and ate it. That was all it took, and he gobbled up the rest of it in the dish. It is semi-moist, pre-cut cubes that you keep in the fridge after opening. I love how convenient it is to feed him when we're at home or traveling, plus he LOVES it. Sometimes I sprinkle it on his fresh greens, but he eats the BITES first and the greens later on in the afternoon. I thought you might want to add this to your beardie's grocery list along with the freeze-dried crickets. I hope this helps.

Luthien

Juvie Member
Erikusan":38kfvdlv said:
In my experience and from what I've read, bearded dragons love to chase and catch their food. It gives them exercise and promotes their natural hunting behavior. Plus, my beardie looks so proud once he's gotten a particularly sneaky cricket. Of course, that might just be me imagining things. I doubt live feeders are required, but they definitely seem to be preferred.

Just like humans some beardies prefer it while other's don't. The main reason I tried freeze dried was because my beardie was to lazy to catch his food :p She would lay there till one got close then snatched it up but she would never hunt them down. It's mainly just what your beardie prefers I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk
Hi everyone, I have a question please. I have a thick branch I got from outside. It has been in freezing temperatures so I know that it is insect free. I took it off the ground and sat it up during a night we got down to 15 so the entire thing would freeze. Well tonight I put white vinegar all over it too cleanse it since it won't fit in my oven. Do I need to rinse with water tomorrow or is it fine left alone dried?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristinaStS
Top Bottom