Is it gaping or gasping

Status
Not open for further replies.

danizen

My beardie, Eep, opens her mouth pretty wide, then closes it again. I know gaping is OK, and normal, but I am worried because the behavior where she opens her mouth and closes it often occurs just on the couch, where it isn't really warm enough for her to gape to regulate heat. Of course, she might just like to stretch her mouth and it might be specific to her.

We've brought her in to see a exotics vet, and the vet doesn't detect anything wrong. She remains pretty alert and active (for a beardie) but I am still worried.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
is your beardie growing and shedding? Could be loosing skin around neck. does the dragon only do it on tour couch or?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That sounds like normal gaping behavior but not gasping. If she gasped there would likely be some hissing type of sound
or forced exhalation, etc.
How often does she do that when she is on the couch? Something could be stressing her possibly.

Tracie

My beardie, Eep, opens her mouth pretty wide, then closes it again. I know gaping is OK, and normal, but I am worried because the behavior where she opens her mouth and closes it often occurs just on the couch, where it isn't really warm enough for her to gape to regulate heat. Of course, she might just like to stretch her mouth and it might be specific to her.

We've brought her in to see a exotics vet, and the vet doesn't detect anything wrong. She remains pretty alert and active (for a beardie) but I am still worried.
I know you’ve already gotten a reply, but it does just sound like normal behavior, no need to be worried

danizen

Original Poster
I conclude that it is gasping, and she is still doing it. It is pretty bad right now - she makes an audible gagging sound and puffs up. I put her back in her enclosure in case she was angry or afraid, and she is still doing it but is a little less loud. So, I am assuming it is some upper respiratory infection and she cannot get enough air through her nose, so she opens her mouth to breath out and in. We will definitely be taking her to an exotic vet. I am training my wife who will take her to describe this as gasping rather than gaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom