Is Fir wood safe for bearded dragons?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Not unless it's sealed. Every single variety of evergreen is toxic to reptile. Cedar is the worst.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah I'd say as long as it isn't releasing sap, then a few coats of polyurethane should do the trick. Some latex paint would probably work too if you want a different color. Something that is already finished, like a rabbit hutch, is likely to be a good option as long as you can seal it up.

LokitheBeardedDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thor, Loki (Deceased)
Yeah I'd say as long as it isn't releasing sap, then a few coats of polyurethane should do the trick. Some latex paint would probably work too if you want a different color. Something that is already finished, like a rabbit hutch, is likely to be a good option as long as you can seal it up.
OK, and do you have a brand or item for me to buy?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yep, it goes on clear and is like a plastic coating when it dries. A good option if you want to retain the natural wood look. Otherwise if you want to change the color, go with a latex paint.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom