Is Black Cherry Powder Ok?

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm thinking of buying this black cherry powder from bearded dragon co. I was reading something about 'gout' and he 'did' have 'very hard urates in the past and I would give him fluid therapy with electrolytes and pumpkin.
He gets dubia roaches once a week. 3-7 roaches. I quit giving him supers.
I alternate between dubia roaches and sometimes hornworms. I'm planning on giving him silkworms in the future.
I'm planning on buying some more 'gutload' powders for his feeders.
He does have silkworm enzyme.

He also spends some time outside in the warmth of the sun in a dog kennel, supervised by me.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
we order black cherry powder from tracie and use it to mix with water and liquid calcium and vitamins 4x a week (3x calcium, 1x vitamins). sir henry refuses any and all powder supplements so liquids it is! we never have dehydration problems because of it.

here's the link if you want to compare prices.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
we order black cherry powder from tracie and use it to mix with water and liquid calcium and vitamins 4x a week (3x calcium, 1x vitamins). sir henry refuses any and all powder supplements so liquids it is! we never have dehydration problems because of it.

here's the link if you want to compare prices.
He had roundworms so his urates would come out hard as a rock. It would go away with extra fluids. It's cheaper on bearded dragon co. But I'll look for the liquid calcium on her site. I also noticed that the bearded dragon co has liquid multivitamin. Will it work with that and I use the powdered calcium powder along with it?
He doesn't like powders unless it's been moistened with water.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
interesting. i've never heard of worms causing hard uriates, that's usually from dehydration. but we also haven't dealt with parasites since back when we first rescued him a couple years ago so could just be new info to me.

we do the cherry as a gout preventative since roaches are his main feeder. he only eats a couple a week anyway. the only thing we gut load them with is left over salad at the end of the day.

i don't know why you couldn't use the combo you mentioned up above. just as long as they all get into the dragon belly!

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
interesting. i've never heard of worms causing hard uriates, that's usually from dehydration. but we also haven't dealt with parasites since back when we first rescued him a couple years ago so could just be new info to me.

we do the cherry as a gout preventative since roaches are his main feeder. he only eats a couple a week anyway. the only thing we gut load them with is left over salad at the end of the day.

i don't know why you couldn't use the combo you mentioned up above. just as long as they all get into the dragon belly!
He got them from an infected batch of superworms.
He had went without bugs for three months. He refused dubias. So, I supplemented the bugs with hornworms and phoenix worms- he hates phoenix worms and when he ate them last, they were all undigested and he pooped them out whole (sorry for the gross story of poop). He does digest his roaches and he just started to show interest in dubias. He's eaten them since he was a baby. Had I known that they were a risk for gout from this feeder, I would have 'added' those supplements with the black cherry powder. To be honest, he eats more salads than bugs now.
I'm going to do a price comparison between Tracie and beardeddragon co.
I'm going to see if he'll take the liquid multivitamins and calcium instead with the cherry supplement powder. He loves raspberry flavors and he likes cherries, too.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Purchased Calcium Liquid, Multivitamin, and Cherry powder from Tracie. Now, to see about Bearded dragon co. The other supplements for my own chow for the roaches. I don't use dog food or high protein diets. I just use greens and powders for them and purchased the dry powders with bearded dragon co. Pretty much the same amount of money spent.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom