Is bearded dragon ok with little sunlight?

remy

Original Poster
So I’ve had my bearded dragon for a year now. He only gets about 30-60 minutes of natural sunlight per week. Is that really bad? The lightning and temp in his enclosure is correct in and all, but is that all he can survive on? Even if it is, I’m still going to try to take him outside more. I just want to know if he’s ok for now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I’ve had my bearded dragon for a year now. He only gets about 30-60 minutes of natural sunlight per week. Is that really bad? The lightning and temp in his enclosure is correct in and all, but is that all he can survive on? Even if it is, I’m still going to try to take him outside more. I just want to know if he’s ok for now.
Any exposure to direct sunlight is good - but I am gonna say that is not enough to sustain his health - they need at least 4 hrs per day of basking time that is correct basking temps and good UVB - by that I mean a long tube fixture NO coils they are inadequate - any extra outside time is good but he needs to be outside every day or other and for a period of an hour or longer

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
If the lighting in the enclosure is good and he has sufficient UVB and temps in there, he will be fine. Natural sunlight is best and any time you can take him outside you should, but good lighting inside will be enough for him to survive and thrive. During the winter where I live, it will be months of weather too cold to take my guy outside.

remy

Original Poster
Any exposure to direct sunlight is good - but I am gonna say that is not enough to sustain his health - they need at least 4 hrs per day of basking time that is correct basking temps and good UVB - by that I mean a long tube fixture NO coils they are inadequate - any extra outside time is good but he needs to be outside every day or other and for a period of an hour or longer
Thanks for replying. He does have a long tube light. I will start to take him outside every other day for an hour. I have another question though. He literally does not eat salad at all. I’ve tried everything to get him too, all different kinds of greens, veggies, some fruits. I’ve tried putting bugs in his salad, and used lizard salad dressing. I’ve tried starving him multiple times for a few days to see if he’d get hungry enough to eat it (a vet recommended that). I’ve also slipped leaves into his mouth between crickets or worms and he spits them out. I’ve also tried making him a slurry, multiple slurries of different flavors and ****. He refused to eat it and almost choked when I force fed him. Vet also said that isn’t a good idea.

Guess hes a picky little ****, so I just gutload his crickets. Is that good enough? I’m not sure of what else to do.

Thank you.

remy

Original Poster
If the lighting in the enclosure is good and he has sufficient UVB and temps in there, he will be fine. Natural sunlight is best and any time you can take him outside you should, but good lighting inside will be enough for him to survive and thrive. During the winter where I live, it will be months of weather too cold to take my guy outside.
Is it also fine if there is no D3 with his calcium, which I give to him everyday?

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Is it also fine if there is no D3 with his calcium, which I give to him everyday?
I've heard all kinds of things about d3 supplements. They can get overdosed if given too often, so some just say to make sure the UVB is sufficient and skip the d3 altogether. I've read that it's not very easily used and absorbed in supplement form so there's really not much benefit in giving it. I personally go more middle of the road. My guy is a little over a year old so he only gets bugs three times a week. He gets calcium without d3 twice and with d3 once. Three of his salads are also dusted with calcium without d3. He gets soaked pellets once a week that also have calcium and d3, so I count that as well for a total of five feedings without d3 and two with d3. The UVB is what they use to synthesize their own d3. Sunlight is the most efficient way for them to get and use that, but the tube lights are a decent facsimile and give enough for them to make a sufficient amount of d3.

In regards to getting him to eat his salads, bee pollen is something that helped me. When I started cutting back his bugs he started eating more greens too. Also just being consistent and offering everyday and always at least a couple hours before bugs.

remy

Original Poster
I've heard all kinds of things about d3 supplements. They can get overdosed if given too often, so some just say to make sure the UVB is sufficient and skip the d3 altogether. I've read that it's not very easily used and absorbed in supplement form so there's really not much benefit in giving it. I personally go more middle of the road. My guy is a little over a year old so he only gets bugs three times a week. He gets calcium without d3 twice and with d3 once. Three of his salads are also dusted with calcium without d3. He gets soaked pellets once a week that also have calcium and d3, so I count that as well for a total of five feedings without d3 and two with d3. The UVB is what they use to synthesize their own d3. Sunlight is the most efficient way for them to get and use that, but the tube lights are a decent facsimile and give enough for them to make a sufficient amount of d3.

In regards to getting him to eat his salads, bee pollen is something that helped me. When I started cutting back his bugs he started eating more greens too. Also just being consistent and offering everyday and always at least a couple hours before bugs.
Bee pollen is something I have not tried yet. I’ll be sure to buy some soon. Thank you for helping me :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks for replying. He does have a long tube light. I will start to take him outside every other day for an hour. I have another question though. He literally does not eat salad at all. I’ve tried everything to get him too, all different kinds of greens, veggies, some fruits. I’ve tried putting bugs in his salad, and used lizard salad dressing. I’ve tried starving him multiple times for a few days to see if he’d get hungry enough to eat it (a vet recommended that). I’ve also slipped leaves into his mouth between crickets or worms and he spits them out. I’ve also tried making him a slurry, multiple slurries of different flavors and ****. He refused to eat it and almost choked when I force fed him. Vet also said that isn’t a good idea.

Guess hes a picky little ****, so I just gutload his crickets. Is that good enough? I’m not sure of what else to do.

Thank you.
Keep offering the fresh salads- try some silkworms they stick to everything - my 4 yr old has just started eating salads after 4 years - as far as D 3 what uvb bulb are you using? This will determine the times he should be fed it

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom