Is Bearded Dragon Cohabitation A Good Plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
claudiusx":3fv90zfx said:
Well, bearded dragons are slightly expensive to get them started up.

But, you want to pay this money now because vet bills will not be that cheap.

Also, tell your mom (or don't it might end bad) to check how much money she pays for killowatts per hour.

All the extra lights will only run her another 5 or so bucks a month, depending on where you live. A far cry from the double she is saying (if I interpreted that right. LOL)

-Brandon

I can agree with that first statement. Before I got my dragon I would go to petstores, play with their beardies and wonder why this little guy was 60 bucks while the others were a little over ten...

As for the third,
She likes to take that five five hundred dollars a month, multiplies it by twelve, then by ten,
At first she suggested I stop eating to make up for the bill. :silent:
haaaaaaah

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Request for 'Stickying' this thread has apparently been denied, as I have had no response to the PM sent to a Mod, on Oct 27, 2011.

I feel this is a very important *Health* issue, I am going to try & keep 'Bumping' it when it reaches the 3rd page, to keep the awareness out there, particularly to the newcomers.

BUMP!!!

G.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Hi, Since reading this I've become very paranoid.

I have two Baby Bearded Dragons whom I've had for about a month. One is mine and one is my brothers. (It's a long story why we got two) But anyway, they are currently in a 40 gallon breeder (my tank) with the appropriate lighting & etc. They were only a week or two old when I got them, and we got them from the same place (They were housed together there too). Do you think they will be okay for one more month? I have not had any aggressive behaviors between the two. They tend to do their own thing and not bother eachother. They lick each other a lot, not sure if that's a sign of dominance but they lick everything anyway.

Do you think they'll be okay for one month? My brother is getting his tank in one month and I was wondering if you think they'd be okay for that duration.

There's no option of seperating them now, and I can't divide the tank in half.

kaylorin

Thank you for this thread. I had talked my husband into allowing me two females so they can live together, rather than just one. After reading this thread and others, I have decided when I get a bearded dragon, it will only be one. I always want to do what is best for the animal - not what would make me happy-or what would be easy for me.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This thread is now a "sticky" to keep it at the top of the Health forum. :p

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
PumpkinJelly":2iwljuhf said:
Do you think they'll be okay for one month? My brother is getting his tank in one month and I was wondering if you think they'd be okay for that duration
You may be lucky, you have read this very serious 'WARNING/CAUTION', what you do with it is up to you ... They should be separated, the pics of the young ones & the risks, speak for themselves. There may not be any signs of previous aggression until it's too late, which is the point of the thread.

diamc":2iwljuhf said:
This thread is now a "sticky" to keep it at the top of the Health forum. :p
Thank you, it is very appreciated, this can not be put out there & stressed enough ...

Germain

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Seperation isn't an option right now for me. It will be no later than Christmas for them to be seperated. I read that they could stay together for 6 months (I'm not taking that chance though, I'm just stating what I read). Hopefully I won't have any problems. If I do, well, then I'll do everything in my power to help.

GemmaP

I just got two bearded dragons, one from a private sale and one from a pet shop, they shop knew i was going to house two together :(

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Pet shops are notorious for providing misinformation. Now that you know, are you going to do something about it & rectify the situation? How old are they & what size enclosure are they in. Not that it makes any difference, just has my curiosity up, seeing as the info was provided by a pet store employee.

The onus is on the keeper to research their care & needs, from reliable sources, prior to acquiring a new pet. Which is apparent that you didn't ... We all have made mistakes of some kind or another. The trick is, how quickly we correct the situation before something drastic happens. The pics in the original post speak for themselves!!!

Please separate them ASAP. Even a Rubbermaid with the proper heat/lighting requirements, is better than cohabitation ...

Refer to this Care Sheet & research much further on your own.
Basic Bearded Dragon Care Guide - A Good Place To Start

Good Luck to you & yours, you may need it,
Germain

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
I can agree with "misinformation" from many pet stores. A while ago I went to a pet store to buy crickets, and I asked the employee to get the crickets for me. The employee asked what I was getting the crickets for (I don't know why, probably out of curiousity). And I said baby Bearded Dragons, and was astonished when I asked for a 100 crickets. They thought that they only eat 12 or 15 crickets per week. I was pretty shocked, and told the employee that 12 or 15 crickets is barely one feeding, let alone a supply for a week. Don't get me wrong, very nice people there, it's just that it's good to have your own facts straight so that you're with the right information and can inform others.

So I can agree with misinformation by pet stores.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
And you all have to remember too that a lot of those places hire younger generations looking for a small income, usually still learning like those newly introduced to the bearded dragon forums (or unwilling to learn at all XD). So you cannot entirely blame some of them for not knowing the exact details many of us here provide to those looking for the information. Fortunately however there are some 'good eggs' lurking in a few of those pet stores (like myself =P). But admittedly, I do not know for detail every animals' precise care (for example, the Jewel Curly Tail and Tomato Frog that is sold. I know the basics, but who is to say that there is not a forum out there specifically for those two species preaching specific bulb brandnames, temperature ranges, and food quantities?)

However, I do agree that with any pet entering a new family, especially those who have never owned the type of animal before, should certainly research prior to purchase or adoption. It is the responsible thing to do and for the best interest of the animal because to put it simply, you cannot rely on one persons opinion, which is what I tell all of my customers. Meaning, you cannot rely on the opinion of one pet store employee (like me) or one member on beardeddragon.org. Research, converse, and learn and form your own opinions from base information provided.

-Glue

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
GlueStick":3d6ac80a said:
And you all have to remember too that a lot of those places hire younger generations looking for a small income, usually still learning like those newly introduced to the bearded dragon forums (or unwilling to learn at all XD). So you cannot entirely blame some of them for not knowing the exact details many of us here provide to those looking for the information.
-Glue
Well they should not be placed in a position to give advice & info to unsuspecting, unknowledgeable buyers. There is no excuse, if they offer info. And yes, I DO blame them, or at least the employers.

Agreed there are the 'Odd' pet store employees that are knowledgeable & know their stuff, but those instances are very few and far between. So the stereotype is definitely there. We experience & see it over & over again on the forums. If they don't know their 'Stuff', they should be encouraging the prospective buyers to fully research prior to making the purchase & not feed them the BS. But no, the majority will just push for the immediate sale & offer any misdirected info to achieve it.

Sorry if you are the exception to the rule & I'm hitting a sore spot, but the facts are the facts & this is not what this thread is about.

Have a good one folks,
Germain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom