Is a 40 gallon breeder big enough for an adult?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is about 5 months old right now and although he seems pretty comfy in his 20 long, I want to upgrade. I found a good deal on a 40 gallon breeder on craigslist and I know he would love this. Problem is, I really would just like to buy something once and be done with it. I picked up a 4x2x2 on craigslist a couple weeks ago, but the more I look at it, the more I realize it isn't right for a beardie and is much better for a snake. So, how many of you have adult beardies in 40 breeders? Do they seem happy in there? Thanks a lot!

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
From everything I've ever read, the *Minimum* size you want is 36 L x 18 W x 14-18 H

Optimally you want 48 L x 24 W x 17-24 H. I think that's equal to a 75 gallon.

The one I have is 48 x 18 x 18 (so not quite as wide as optimal, but should be good enough)

The one thing I've noticed is that 55 gallons seems to be the most common size I find on Craigslist
and those aren't big enough. (plenty long at 48 but only 12 wide).

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
I keep mine in a 40gal breeder. It's great for him because he doesn't move around too much in his viv, and he gets out every single day and runs around for a few hours. I think it depends on the personality of your dragon and if they seem like they need the space.

All of my dragons are in 40 gallon breeder tanks. They love them. Each one has its own enclosure. I haven't found any problems with them being in this size tank. I've had my oldest dragon for 3 1/2 years.

McLoki

Soulwind":209rb1ts said:
From everything I've ever read, the *Minimum* size you want is 36 L x 18 W x 14-18 H

Optimally you want 48 L x 24 W x 17-24 H. I think that's equal to a 75 gallon.

36 L x 18 W x 18 H = 40 gallon tank (also called a 40 breeder).
48 L x 12 W x 18 H = 55 gallon tank.
48 L x 18 W x 18 H = 75 gallon tank.
48 L x 24 W x 24 H = 120 gallon tank..
72 L x 24 W x 24 H = 180 gallon tank.

If you have a local aquarium club where you live, that may be one of the cheaper places to find a tank and stand. You can often pick up tanks\stands (and in better condition) for well under what you will find in other for sale locations.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom