Iris feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBrian

Juvie Member
I have decided to post on the Beardie ER because I feel this an issue that is urgent since it has been going on for awhile. This issue has been the same exact way since I made this post back on December 5thhttp://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=182196 .

I have tried many things with Iris. I have tried Dubias( I have a small colony now) Crickets, Superworms, and Silkworms. She seems to respond best to crickets after it's been awhile between her not eating. However, I need to switch off between feeders, for example I will try dubias for awhile and realize she is not interested so then i'll buy crickets and she'll gobble a good amount down in her cat dish. Then comes her next feeding that day so I try crickets again and she will not eat them and be picky once again then i'll try dubias again and she may or may not eat them but come the next day i'll do the same routine but instead with crickets first and then try Dubias but she will simply not be interested until a week or 2 even 3 weeks later. She'll eat her greens maybe 2-5 days straight although a small amount but it's never consistent. Just to be sure everyone knows she is hardly eating.

Things I've done are replace tile with paper towels, buy a simple piece of driftwood, tried all the feeders I mentioned massaged her belly, give her 2-3 baths a week(still do), replace her Repti-sun 10.0 Fluorescent strip, double check her basking spot with a probe thermometer, put her in a different room so she can't see my dog. and for additional info she is in a 4x4 enclosure and given rep cal powder with her feedings. She doesn't seem to be getting skinny and she is alert although won't move too much. She is only 10 months old and also she does poop but not much because she doesn't eat much.

What other things should I try? Any medicine to give her a jump start?

Esther19

BD.org Addict
What is her basking temp and how are you measuring it? Minimum for digestion is 95. She might not eat if she knows it is not warm enough for her to digest.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
That looks like a good thermometer. Just because I don't know what else to try, could you raise up her basking spot a bit for a temp gain of about 5 degrees? I wonder if that would help her out any. Sorry I don't have any other more helpful suggestions.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Have you tried a probiotic like AcidophiLiz+? Max hasn't been eating nearly as much as usual of late, so at Deb's suggestions I got some AcidophiLiz. He still is eating much less than previously, but at least seems more energetic. Also, I would suggest offering water orally twice a day. Sometimes they can be a bit dehydrated and not eat much because of it.

MBrian

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Esther19":158dfj4z said:
That looks like a good thermometer. Just because I don't know what else to try, could you raise up her basking spot a bit for a temp gain of about 5 degrees? I wonder if that would help her out any. Sorry I don't have any other more helpful suggestions.

That's okay im baffled as well, but I will certainly try a different bulb today and see if it helps.If it does i will certainly let you know.

daner923":158dfj4z said:
Have you tried a probiotic like AcidophiLiz+? Max hasn't been eating nearly as much as usual of late, so at Deb's suggestions I got some AcidophiLiz. He still is eating much less than previously, but at least seems more energetic. Also, I would suggest offering water orally twice a day. Sometimes they can be a bit dehydrated and not eat much because of it.

I want to try that but im not sure if she could handle it hopefully she will jump on this thread and let me know, thank you for the suggestion.I will give her water everyday as you suggested as well.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, she will be just fine with the probiotic! It isn't harsh on their system at all! It's not really medicine - it's really just the good bacteria that makes yogurt plus some fruit juice and vitamins. Totally good for her :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom