Introduction and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
antibiotics can take a couple of days before they start working. If its only been 5 days they may only just be really starting to take effect. How long has the vet said to administer them for?

How big is your dragon? It's a bit difficult to gauge from the photos

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No, no colored bulbs. I made the mistake of using a red bulb at night for the first week or so, but that hasn’t been used in 3 weeks or more. I did terramycin in the eye for about 10 days before going to the vet. Like I stated previously, the gentamicin and antibiotics from the vet have been used for about 5 days now. I don’t want to have to make another trip to the vet but it’s so weird how gooey his eye is.
I have flagged the post to AHBD and Tracie our vet tech mod -- they hopefully can help here

Roberts926

Original Poster
antibiotics can take a couple of days before they start working. If its only been 5 days they may only just be really starting to take effect. How long has the vet said to administer them for?

How big is your dragon? It's a bit difficult to gauge from the photos
I believe the eye drops are twice a day for 21 days and the antibiotics are every other day for 30 days. The antiparasitic was a 3 dose medication.

The vet said he seems a little small for his age, but now that we are getting the parasite taken care of and I have proper lighting, we should hopefully see a growth spurt soon she said. He is approximately 8 months old and came in at 134.00 grams 5 days ago.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
I believe the eye drops are twice a day for 21 days and the antibiotics are every other day for 30 days. The antiparasitic was a 3 dose medication.

The vet said he seems a little small for his age, but now that we are getting the parasite taken care of and I have proper lighting, we should hopefully see a growth spurt soon she said. He is approximately 8 months old and came in at 134.00 grams 5 days ago.
Yeah he's definitely undersized at that weight but like you said with the medical problems its understandable. They can grow and put on weight really quickly and hopefully this will be the case for him.

If the antibiotics are for 30 days I would say its just a matter of giving it time now. 5 days isn't really that long of a time in relation to the length of treatment but hopefully you will start to see an improvement with his eye very soon.

Roberts926

Original Poster
Yeah he's definitely undersized at that weight but like you said with the medical problems its understandable. They can grow and put on weight really quickly and hopefully this will be the case for him.

If the antibiotics are for 30 days I would say its just a matter of giving it time now. 5 days isn't really that long of a time in relation to the length of treatment but hopefully you will start to see an improvement with his eye very soon.
Ok, I hope so! Thank you so much for your input. I really do appreciate it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, the eye is producing a huge bubble of fluid, please don't use tweezers though. You'd be one head twitch from disaster if Zeus got squirmy. BTW did you try unpasteurized honey ?

Roberts926

Original Poster
Wow, the eye is producing a huge bubble of fluid, please don't use tweezers though. You'd be one head twitch from disaster if Zeus got squirmy. BTW did you try unpasteurized honey ?
I’m sorry, I was being facetious with the tweezer comment. I didn’t actually use tweezers, but I had to grab onto it with a towel and actually pinch it and pull it pretty hard to get it off. It was so sticky that it would not wipe off. I did try the honey but I don’t believe I gave it adequate time to work. I rushed off to the vet because it just wasn’t getting better.

Roberts926

Original Poster
Ok, so I am keeping my fingers crossed but I think we are making progress. Samsons eye has not been crusted shut for 2 days now, and he is going to the bathroom more frequently. I think the antibiotics and anti-parasitics have finally kicked in. Here he is last night…taking control of the TV remote.

Attachments

• E49ED44C-BC9D-4112-813C-E574EDFEE418.jpeg
    E49ED44C-BC9D-4112-813C-E574EDFEE418.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 122

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear this, it's always a relief to see some progress and I truly hope he continues to do better ! He needs good vision to watch his favorite program . BTW, he's a handsome boy.

Roberts926

Original Poster
Good to hear this, it's always a relief to see some progress and I truly hope he continues to do better ! He needs good vision to watch his favorite program . BTW, he's a handsome boy.
Thank you very much, I may be biased however I also think he is a great looking dragon. And yes, I am extremely relieved to see progress because it was stressing me out that he wasn’t getting any better. After his medication runs out, I will be taking him back to the vet for another fecal float just to ensure all looks well. I appreciate everyone’s help on this forum and I look forward to remaining active on these pages for help and also to provide guidance as I learn new things.

Roberts926

Original Poster
Well, a few days ago I made a post that Samsons eye was doing better but then the next day…and the last few days, it has been glued shut every morning. It’s so crazy how sticky the fluid is that’s coming out. We have about 2 more weeks of antibiotics to go and I am doing honey again. I bought some raw unfiltered Nature Nate’s honey (I think this is the right stuff) and started watering it down with warm water and applying today. I will do this for a few days while still giving antibiotics and if it does not heal, we will head back to the vet. I’m extremely perplexed.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Do you have a health store near you or an actual beekeeper ? I looked up the brand you mentioned and there is a class action lawsuit that says it's not pure and it has been heated [ pasteurization kills the beneficial antimicrobial properties. ]

Roberts926

Original Poster
Do you have a health store near you or an actual beekeeper ? I looked up the brand you mentioned and there is a class action lawsuit that says it's not pure and it has been heated [ pasteurization kills the beneficial antimicrobial properties. ]

Wow, I just can’t win. I did a really quick browse online while at the store before I bought it and I did not see that. And there was a beekeeper outside selling local honey when I walked out from purchasing this…haha this sucks. But yes, we have a health food store and a beekeeper.

Beardie name(s)
Spike
I have a bearded dragon too and his name is spike and he is 8 years old. I’m a first time bearded dragon owner and I’m 16 years old. I’m extremely busy with school 🏫 too. Peace ✌🏼 Me and spike
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 107
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom