Introduction and Feedback

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A lot of people do get by with the lower wattage bulbs. It really varies between enclosures and which brand/style of bulb you're using. Since you have a bright light and a good surface temp, I'd keep doing what you're doing.

As far as BSFL goes, the amount will vary. 100 seems like a lot, but they're pretty small so I wouldn't be surprised if some days he can eat that many. Just be sure he chews them up well (eat slowly) or else they'll pass through whole/undigested. This isn't harmful but just kind of a waste. I would offer them along with a salad (even if he ignores it for now) and rotate with other bugs as you can get them. Variety is healthy for them. I'd just keep offering what he wants within a reasonable amount of time and give him a meal or two each day. At 8 months he should still be growing. This should start to slow down at around 12-18(ish) months and you can cut back on the bugs and really start to encourage salads as the main part of the diet over time.

Roberts926

Original Poster
A lot of people do get by with the lower wattage bulbs. It really varies between enclosures and which brand/style of bulb you're using. Since you have a bright light and a good surface temp, I'd keep doing what you're doing.

As far as BSFL goes, the amount will vary. 100 seems like a lot, but they're pretty small so I wouldn't be surprised if some days he can eat that many. Just be sure he chews them up well (eat slowly) or else they'll pass through whole/undigested. This isn't harmful but just kind of a waste. I would offer them along with a salad (even if he ignores it for now) and rotate with other bugs as you can get them. Variety is healthy for them. I'd just keep offering what he wants within a reasonable amount of time and give him a meal or two each day. At 8 months he should still be growing. This should start to slow down at around 12-18(ish) months and you can cut back on the bugs and really start to encourage salads as the main part of the diet over time.
Fantastic. Thanks again. I feel much more confident after being on this forum the last few days. You all have been a tremendous help.

Roberts926

Original Poster
Ok post a pic of the dubia next to his head and yes it's true you are not supposed to feed any insect bigger than the space between his eyes length wise- if the insect is too big don't feed- I am guessing the 100 but we can ask about those
@CooperDragon
@AHBD
@KarrieRee not a good picture but the large dubias are about as big as his entire head

Attachments

• 7B49C81F-5408-4A80-8797-3E2BCA019A81.jpeg
    7B49C81F-5408-4A80-8797-3E2BCA019A81.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 115

Roberts926

Original Poster
Ok maybe stick w / the mediums unless AHBD or CooperDragon says other wise
yea I just had him on the floor in the living room and skattered a few medium dubias around and let him have room to hunt. It was entertaining and he is definitely feeling better

Roberts926

Original Poster
UPDATE: I just wanted to give a quick update. Samsons eye wasn’t getting any better and I also wanted to just get a general check up on him so I took him to the vet. The exotic vet I was referred to is about 1.5 hours away but we made the trip. The vet was unsure what is causing the issue with his eye however due to the amount of fluid in his eye and in his mouth, she said he probably has some sort of infection (maybe respiratory) and put him on a round of antibiotics and gentamicin eye drops. They also did a fecal float and he has way to much coccidia going on. She said this may be due to the fact that his immune system is weak from the infection so it’s unable to regulate the coccidia on its own so she gave me a round of anti parasitic for that. I took everything out of his home and washed it all to eliminate any parasites that may be lingering. He has been on the meds for about 5 days now, but his eye does not seem to be getting any better. It’s not any worse, just not better. The fluid coming out of it is so sticky that I could not even wipe it off with a warm compress. I basically had to pull the “eye booger” off with tweezers yesterday. I am really unsure what to do but he is on the antibiotics and drops for 21 days so hopefully the next couple weeks pay off. If anyone else has any input, please let me know. I have attached a photo of his eye this morning with a huge glob of the sticky fluid on it.

Attachments

• 436D26C1-706D-48CC-855C-EB3A69E56ECB.jpeg
    436D26C1-706D-48CC-855C-EB3A69E56ECB.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 104

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
UPDATE: I just wanted to give a quick update. Samsons eye wasn’t getting any better and I also wanted to just get a general check up on him so I took him to the vet. The exotic vet I was referred to is about 1.5 hours away but we made the trip. The vet was unsure what is causing the issue with his eye however due to the amount of fluid in his eye and in his mouth, she said he probably has some sort of infection (maybe respiratory) and put him on a round of antibiotics and gentamicin eye drops. They also did a fecal float and he has way to much coccidia going on. She said this may be due to the fact that his immune system is weak from the infection so it’s unable to regulate the coccidia on its own so she gave me a round of anti parasitic for that. I took everything out of his home and washed it all to eliminate any parasites that may be lingering. He has been on the meds for about 5 days now, but his eye does not seem to be getting any better. It’s not any worse, just not better. The fluid coming out of it is so sticky that I could not even wipe it off with a warm compress. I basically had to pull the “eye booger” off with tweezers yesterday. I am really unsure what to do but he is on the antibiotics and drops for 21 days so hopefully the next couple weeks pay off. If anyone else has any input, please let me know. I have attached a photo of his eye this morning with a huge glob of the sticky fluid on it.
Are you still using the coil uvb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No, I replaced that before I even joined this forum. I only had the coil for a week maybe 2. I’ve had the T5 HO for 2-3 weeks now.
Ok and where is it? Top of screen or inside the tank? This is going to help the eye heal basking bulb is it a CLEAR bright white bulb? No off white or yellowish bulbs please and your substrate?

Roberts926

Original Poster
Ok and where is it? Top of screen or inside the tank? This is going to help the eye heal basking bulb is it a CLEAR bright white bulb? No off white or yellowish bulbs please and your substrate?
It’s mounted under the screen inside the tank. And the basking bulb is a clear incandescent light bulb. I actually turned the UVB off yesterday to see if it would help anything…you think I should turn it back on? Substrate is reptile carpet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s mounted under the screen inside the tank. And the basking bulb is a clear incandescent light bulb. I actually turned the UVB off yesterday to see if it would help anything…you think I should turn it back on? Substrate is reptile carpet.
Ok good distance should be 12-15 inches is the brand reptisun or Arcadia? And yes turn it back on please-- The basking bulb is good carpet wouldn't cause that either just need your brand of uvb -

Roberts926

Original Poster
Ok good distance should be 12-15 inches is the brand reptisun or Arcadia? And yes turn it back on please-- The basking bulb is good carpet wouldn't cause that either just need your brand of uvb -
It’s Reptisun bulb. And it’s at about 12 inches or so

Roberts926

Original Poster
This is how I have it set up.

Attachments

• 6B881BAF-081C-4FAC-9E2F-55FCC0ABD2DF.jpeg
    6B881BAF-081C-4FAC-9E2F-55FCC0ABD2DF.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 97

Roberts926

Original Poster
I am stumped you have good bulbs- and no colored bulbs for night?
@AHBD
@Drache613
No, no colored bulbs. I made the mistake of using a red bulb at night for the first week or so, but that hasn’t been used in 3 weeks or more. I did terramycin in the eye for about 10 days before going to the vet. Like I stated previously, the gentamicin and antibiotics from the vet have been used for about 5 days now. I don’t want to have to make another trip to the vet but it’s so weird how gooey his eye is.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom