Introducing Verstappen and Checo!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I have been driving everyone crazy with tegas all day. I have watched YouTube videos- I can't get enough. I had NO CLUE. If I didn't have Rocky (which I wouldn't change for the world)- I would be all about it. Although, I don't know if it's an east coast thing. I would make it one!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm from Kentucky but live in Nevada now also. I found this lil beauty last summer over in Arizona. My girl wanted it worse than I've ever seen her want anything. But i am aware of their specialized diets so i made her put it back (she is still P.o. 'ed a year later lol)
I'm pretty certain it was a regal.

Attachments

• 20211120_144810.jpg
    20211120_144810.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 20211120_144504.jpg
    20211120_144504.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 76

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
I'm from Kentucky but live in Nevada now also. I found this lil beauty last summer over in Arizona. My girl wanted it worse than I've ever seen her want anything. But i am aware of their specialized diets so i made her put it back (she is still P.o. 'ed a year later lol)
I'm pretty certain it was

I have been driving everyone crazy with tegas all day. I have watched YouTube videos- I can't get enough. I had NO CLUE. If I didn't have Rocky (which I wouldn't change for the world)- I would be all about it. Although, I don't know if it's an east coast thing. I would make it one!
Ohh they are an international hit. There are reputable tegu breeders all over the us...except Florida now as they were outlawed last year I believe. Morphs are still relatively new and being isolated. Most of what we see are black and whites, reds, and blues which non are morphs just various locals. You'll here a lot of things like glacial blue, ruby red, titanium, etc but those are not morphs they are hybrids between the b and w, red, and blue. There are a few breeders working on anery, lots of albino breeders, hypo is still being isolated and I don't think anyone has a confirmed genetic hypo but I could be wrong. The crazy thing with tegus when getting into the hybrids the amazing colors, from gunmetal grays to deep artic blues. It's stunning to see these giant lizards with such amazing colors.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Ohh they are an international hit. There are reputable tegu breeders all over the us...except Florida now as they were outlawed last year I believe. Morphs are still relatively new and being isolated. Most of what we see are black and whites, reds, and blues which non are morphs just various locals. You'll here a lot of things like glacial blue, ruby red, titanium, etc but those are not morphs they are hybrids between the b and w, red, and blue. There are a few breeders working on anery, lots of albino breeders, hypo is still being isolated and I don't think anyone has a confirmed genetic hypo but I could be wrong. The crazy thing with tegus when getting into the hybrids the amazing colors, from gunmetal grays to deep artic blues. It's stunning to see these giant lizards with such amazing colors.
There's a blue one near me for $399 from a breeder. I read the care sheet...similar to beardie....just multiply the food dog bowl style as an adult and put the enclosure on the floor--- got it LOL
Rocky needs all of my time but I will definitely go visit in it person. I am so intrigued!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I'm pretty certain it was a regal.
You're so lucky. I would just live outside and explore all of the wildlife!

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
There's a blue one near me for $399 from a breeder. I read the care sheet...similar to beardie....just multiply the food dog bowl style as an adult and put the enclosure on the floor--- got it LOL
Rocky needs all of my time but I will definitely go visit in it person. I am so intrigued!
They are not like beardies is care. They require much higher humidity, substrate of atleast 12 inches for digging. They are true omnivores aka they eat meat and lots and lots of of it. The staple I feed mine is raw dog food, typically rabbit or turkey with organs and bone in it. Their poops are absolutely awful because of the high concentrations of meat in their diet. They are definitely a bit more tricky to dial the environment in then a beardie, ohh they are fast, like grease lighting fast even at 5ft and 30 pounds they move at anincredible speed. On days you give whole prey items it's like a murder scene. They grab hold of rodents, dead or alive, and whipping them around like a dog with a rope, its messy, very messy. But in the end it is absolutely worth it. The are considered to be one of uf not the most intelligent of all reptiles. They are super easy to train to potty on pads or in a specific spot, they target train with ease and when they bond with you their is nothing like a giant lizard that crawls into your lap on its own accord and begins to chuff as you pet its chin. A chuffing tegu is like a purring kitty.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
As if i didn't already want one bad enough lol.
I've seen how big beardie poo can be, I'm guessing you need a snow shovel to clean up after a tegu lol.

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
I didn't realize they could be potty trained that is awesome.
It's more you learning their routine. They are creatures if habit and naturally prefer to go away from their home. It's really just a matter of learning where and when they want to go. Once they learn they are gonna be let out to go they will gladly ablige that behavior. They think their poo is nasty as well.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Lol gotta be bad when ya can't handle your own poo.
One of my beardies wouldn't go in her habitat for a long time. I have a walled in back yard so i can let them roam a little. She always waited to go out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom