Introducing rocko the thug who hates salad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s up guys, alright so I’ve never had a bearded dragon before (I own a lot of snakes) but I somehow kind of accidentally acquired one and now the fool is living his best life in a 4x2x18 melamine terrarium. He’s got reptison 10.0 t8 tube ubv bolted to the top inside his enclosure ( originally I got him a red heat bulb 100w but learned very quickly why that was dumb even tho I think those look cool and snakes can’t use them either so idk why I thought a lizard would be different but anyways I fixed it before he even came home with me) his heat bulb is inside a cage to protect him since it screws directly into a feature on the roof inside of the tank it’s 100w with a manual dimmer attached to control the heat and the bulb is a halogen white light idk i think it’s zoo med but could be wrong, he’s 20inches and was previously in a 40 gal,
it had decent lighting so thankfully no signs of mbd. Anyways without further adieu meet Rocko! He’s a thug, been jumping Dubias since day one, sending gnarly gaps from drift wood to drift wood. The fool knows what’s up. Lol. Anyways if you guys have any advice on how to get rocko to eat his salads that would be super sick, rn rocko will eat it if I dangle a shred of greens in front of his face like it’s a worm but otherwise it’s a no go for him and he barely eats any when I hand feed it to him anyways but he munches bugs as I mentioned above like they are the rival gang on his turf he likes apples a lot but so far that’s the only thing he will eat that doesn’t move. Advice?

Attachments

• C1770FD9-914D-4F89-AB92-259758384683.jpg
    C1770FD9-914D-4F89-AB92-259758384683.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 1E6F68A8-5A64-47B0-9E9B-939670E5460D.jpeg
    1E6F68A8-5A64-47B0-9E9B-939670E5460D.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 104
  • D076CDD1-B0A7-4AA9-9298-65D171FC4866.jpg
    D076CDD1-B0A7-4AA9-9298-65D171FC4866.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 105

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What’s up guys, alright so I’ve never had a bearded dragon before (I own a lot of snakes) but I somehow kind of accidentally acquired one and now the fool is living his best life in a 4x2x18 melamine terrarium. He’s got reptison 10.0 t8 tube ubv bolted to the top inside his enclosure ( originally I got him a red heat bulb 100w but learned very quickly why that was dumb even tho I think those look cool and snakes can’t use them either so idk why I thought a lizard would be different but anyways I fixed it before he even came home with me) his heat bulb is inside a cage to protect him since it screws directly into a feature on the roof inside of the tank it’s 100w with a manual dimmer attached to control the heat and the bulb is a halogen white light idk i think it’s zoo med but could be wrong, he’s 20inches and was previously in a 40 gal,
it had decent lighting so thankfully no signs of mbd. Anyways without further adieu meet Rocko! He’s a thug, been jumping Dubias since day one, sending gnarly gaps from drift wood to drift wood. The fool knows what’s up. Lol. Anyways if you guys have any advice on how to get rocko to eat his salads that would be super sick, rn rocko will eat it if I dangle a shred of greens in front of his face like it’s a worm but otherwise it’s a no go for him and he barely eats any when I hand feed it to him anyways but he munches bugs as I mentioned above like they are the rival gang on his turf he likes apples a lot but so far that’s the only thing he will eat that doesn’t move. Advice?
Welcome rocko- yes they can be frustrating when getting them to eat salads I can give you some tips to try - w/ websites as well what are you feeding for insects now ? Also please get your uvb directly above the basking decor approx 6-8 inches- that bulb will expire in 6 months I recommend changing it out in 5 and please take the cover off the fixture if there is one the bulb needs to be exposed

Ms. Rynx

I got mine to eat some by putting a little bit of dried or live bugs in her bowl and she’ll start munching away without a second thought. Mine also doesn’t like bowls at times so maybe just put a few down near his bowl?

rocko_the_beardie_bangs

Original Poster
Welcome rocko- yes they can be frustrating when getting them to eat salads I can give you some tips to try - w/ websites as well what are you feeding for insects now ? Also please get your uvb directly above the basking decor approx 6-8 inches- that bulb will expire in 6 months I recommend changing it out in 5 and please take the cover off the fixture if there is one the bulb needs to be exposed
Awesome thank you, I have situated the basking decor directly under the ubv which didn’t have a cover on the fixture and I swapped things around a bit so that he is at the correct distance from the ubv, as for insects; mostly Dubias but I like to mix in a few super worms and sometimes crickets but I hate keeping crickets bc frankly they scare me but I do offer them about once or twice a week bc I feel they are good for exercising him and to kind of move around a bit and hunt, and the salad thing if you have any tips I would most definitely appreciate them. Thanks again and rocko says thank you aswell for helping him get super comfy and situated correctly.

rocko_the_beardie_bangs

Original Poster
I got mine to eat some by putting a little bit of dried or live bugs in her bowl and she’ll start munching away without a second thought. Mine also doesn’t like bowls at times so maybe just put a few down near his bowl?
I will try this tomorrow and I’ll let you know how it goes, thank you!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Awesome thank you, I have situated the basking decor directly under the ubv which didn’t have a cover on the fixture and I swapped things around a bit so that he is at the correct distance from the ubv, as for insects; mostly Dubias but I like to mix in a few super worms and sometimes crickets but I hate keeping crickets bc frankly they scare me but I do offer them about once or twice a week bc I feel they are good for exercising him and to kind of move around a bit and hunt, and the salad thing if you have any tips I would most definitely appreciate them. Thanks again and rocko says thank you aswell for helping him get super comfy and situated correctly.
Please get some BSFL www.symtonbsf.org -- order large -- fix a salad Nutrition Content ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder you will need a bowl like this or similar to to keep the BSFL in the bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
feed salad first thing in the morning hand feed some of the BSFL to him do not dust these -- then drop them in front of him in the bowl - use them and super worms to lure him to the bowl - horn worms and silk worms are great to use as well as they stick to EVERYTHING-- horn worms are a treat worm a good hydrating worm and w/ him not eating salads you can feed these to him 1-2 a couple of times a week the silk worms are another staple feeder like the BSFL ---
www.reptilianarts.com silk worms they come in a cup w/ food or in bulk 50 you need to order food
www.dubiaroaches.com horn worms they grow really fast or they used to I have gotten 2 orders that they didnt grow and they were teeny tiny things dont know what was going on there - also they do have the BSFL only they are called nutri grubs super worms and meal worms --- feed your worms sparingly the supers and meal worms they will get hooked on them -- super worms and meal worms every other day 1-3 --
please watch his behavior w/ the UVB being moved -- and keep me posted on how the worm thing goes and the salad--- hopefully he will start to eat the salad and be sure and rinse the greens he will get hydration from that -- watch his poops too they should be formed dark and moist the urate will be formed white and moist any extra water is good means hes good and hydrated

rocko_the_beardie_bangs

Original Poster
Please get some BSFL www.symtonbsf.org -- order large -- fix a salad Nutrition Content ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder you will need a bowl like this or similar to to keep the BSFL in the bowl Amazon.com
feed salad first thing in the morning hand feed some of the BSFL to him do not dust these -- then drop them in front of him in the bowl - use them and super worms to lure him to the bowl - horn worms and silk worms are great to use as well as they stick to EVERYTHING-- horn worms are a treat worm a good hydrating worm and w/ him not eating salads you can feed these to him 1-2 a couple of times a week the silk worms are another staple feeder like the BSFL ---
www.reptilianarts.com silk worms they come in a cup w/ food or in bulk 50 you need to order food
www.dubiaroaches.com horn worms they grow really fast or they used to I have gotten 2 orders that they didnt grow and they were teeny tiny things dont know what was going on there - also they do have the BSFL only they are called nutri grubs super worms and meal worms --- feed your worms sparingly the supers and meal worms they will get hooked on them -- super worms and meal worms every other day 1-3 --
please watch his behavior w/ the UVB being moved -- and keep me posted on how the worm thing goes and the salad--- hopefully he will start to eat the salad and be sure and rinse the greens he will get hydration from that -- watch his poops too they should be formed dark and moist the urate will be formed white and moist any extra water is good means hes good and hydrated
Rocko ate a little parsnip and apple today, I ordered silk worms, horn worms, BSFL, and I am starting a medium dubia colony. Thanks again. He seems to be acting normal despite his slightly shifted set up, I took him out today and gave him a good soak for about 20 min, he didn’t drink anything but enjoyed splashing himself as per usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom