Introducing ourselves (finally) and Kaira. Updated, new pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
I (we) figured it was time to introduce ourselves and our little baby beardie. We’ve posted already (Abi & Lucas…this is Abi btw lol), but we finally got a beautiful bearded dragon from Anthony at http://www.annapolisbeardeddragon.com and we couldn’t be more happy with her; he takes such care in making sure his beardies arrive at their new homes safely and answers any questions you have for him. This helped us so much and we greatly appreciate his help, along with everybody else on here that has given us great advice!!!
So here’s Kaira. Oh, she’s also Ed X Snowflake’s baby (#9) and about 9 weeks old now.
30def0a6.jpg

This is when I first opened the box that she was shipped in…before she got stressed out. You can see her colors pretty well here.
c2fd92b6.jpg

I think she looks a little funny in this one LOL. I don’t know what is up with her legs, guess she was relaxing!
24c7f73c.jpg

Right after she was put in her new cage…she loves that spot!
250cc053.jpg

This is her first bedtime at her new home…that’s her probe for her thermometer/humidity gauge. How cute is that?!?!
1872e32a.jpg

I think she looks beautiful in this pic (and in every other one Lol).
6bcaa828.jpg

She was getting done eating her crickets in this pic.
She’s still trying to get used to her new surroundings and tends to have stress marks unless she’s being held. She’ll eat directly out of our hands! We got her Friday and she took a small piece of collard greens right from me and has continued to do this with both of us, including a cricket. She’s got an awesome personality and we can’t wait for her to settle in a little better so we can get her out more (as she seems to really enjoy being held and doesn’t want to be put back down after one of us picks her up!)

flinters

Hatchling Member
O wow she is amazing! I got #3 from him! That means your beardie is my beardie's sister lol. Anyway, she looks great!

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks everybody! We couldn't be happier with our little sweetie. I do have one question...Do your beardies tend to get stress marks more so when they are in their cage or out? Kaira's go away when we hold her, but come back when she's left alone in her cage. Does this mean she wants more attention? Or am I reading her wrong? I don't want to stress her out and hold her too much, but she seems to like it.

flinters":b8018 said:
O wow she is amazing! I got #3 from him! That means your beardie is my beardie's sister lol. Anyway, she looks great!
Flinters,
You're going to love that beardie. Anthony does an awesome job with them. It is a male, right? I thought that's what it said on his website. #3 is a cutie! Send me some pics or let me know if you post any. I'd love to see her brother! :D
Abi

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
beardedwizard":d16f0 said:
Abi just wait until she is older, she will be one stunning yellow dragon!!! :wink:

Anthony
Anthony,
She's already gorgeous. Her side bars are really starting to show and so is the yellow. She's going through her first shed since we got her right now, but I'll post more pictures after she sheds. Right now, it's mostly just her tail, but I'll wait until her body sheds to post new pictures.
We got her some silkworms and even though they are still a little small (and will only eat them out of our hands), she loves them. We're going to have to limit them because she's starting to refuse to eat her crickets...spoiled :roll:. She won't eat any greens on her own. I'm hoping that when the silkies get big enough we can trick her into eating some greens too.
Thanks so much, she's such a sweetie! We're looking at the reds from the one of the breeders you told us about. He'll have some babies available right when we were wanting another one. Thanks for giving us his name! Let us know if you decide to breed Violet with someone besides Ed though... :D .
Abi

Laurmann2000

Juvie Member
She's gorgeous. Congrats on your new baby. I can see why you love her so much. I'm curious what the answer is to your question about the stress marks being more in her cage then out. I'm also getting my first beardie from Anthony. I'm getting XX from the same clutch. We're on vacation now so as soon as I get home I will email Anthony and he will ship our baby boy. I hope he's as wonderful as your girl. Congrats.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We actually looked into getting baby XX! LOL. Anthony is terrific. If you have any questions, he's more than happy to answer them. He truly cares about his babies. The process of having her shipped couldn't have gone smoother...I was so worried, but Anthony e-mailed me along the way, right up until the minute she arrived!

I never really got an answer to my question about the stress marks going away when we got her out of her cage...you might have "bumped" the post up and maybe we'll get one :D . I might make a post under the "Behavior" section about it later...I have finals tomorrow! :cry: I have my own opinion; Anthony really takes the time to ensure that his babies are handled and used to being around people. Kaira didn't show any real fear about being held from the moment she arrived. There's probably a little more to it than that, but she isn't skittish and has never ran away when we go to pick her up. She hates the cats, but I don't blame her, they stalk her while she's in her cage...that'd be why she has her own room...they stress her out too much and our younger cat is really curious as to "what" she is. Neither cat would ever hurt her (they'd probably be more afraid of her than she is of them lol), but they still stress her out for the time being, so the cats are banned from her room!
I hope somebody will respond to mine and yours question on here, but if not, I'll post it on the other board soon and let you know if I get an answer.
You'll love your big boy. They're so sweet and gorgeous! Post some pics when he arrives :D .
Abi

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I forgot to say Thank You :D , :oops: Laurmann2000..sorry!
jscott-
Thank You too! :D I've been meaning to post more but I haven't had time to load them on my computer. I will as soon as I can...she's getting so big! How's you're little guy doing?
I'll try to get some more pics on here tomorrow.
Abi

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
amalsg07":2db72 said:
We actually looked into getting baby XX! LOL. Anthony is terrific. If you have any questions, he's more than happy to answer them. He truly cares about his babies. The process of having her shipped couldn't have gone smoother...I was so worried, but Anthony e-mailed me along the way, right up until the minute she arrived!

I never really got an answer to my question about the stress marks going away when we got her out of her cage...you might have "bumped" the post up and maybe we'll get one :D . I might make a post under the "Behavior" section about it later...I have finals tomorrow! :cry: I have my own opinion; Anthony really takes the time to ensure that his babies are handled and used to being around people. Kaira didn't show any real fear about being held from the moment she arrived. There's probably a little more to it than that, but she isn't skittish and has never ran away when we go to pick her up. She hates the cats, but I don't blame her, they stalk her while she's in her cage...that'd be why she has her own room...they stress her out too much and our younger cat is really curious as to "what" she is. Neither cat would ever hurt her (they'd probably be more afraid of her than she is of them lol), but they still stress her out for the time being, so the cats are banned from her room!
I hope somebody will respond to mine and yours question on here, but if not, I'll post it on the other board soon and let you know if I get an answer.
You'll love your big boy. They're so sweet and gorgeous! Post some pics when he arrives :D .
Abi

Abi to answer your question on the stress marks... She's more comfortable in your hands as she's use to being held/moved around as this is how I help calm/socialize my babies in the first 2 months... So she is not yet use to her new cage/home, thus when you put her back in the cage she is unsure of her surroundings and thus the stress marks appear! If it's a glass cage please put up white paper on the back and sides. Thus she can curl up in a corner and feel safe, dragons will not feel comfortable until they know they can see where you are coming from. So always make sure that's from the front of the cage, otherwise you can freak them out!

If you have any more questions about this just ask, and I'm so glad you like your girl!!! And I will be looking to breed Violet to Adonis once Violet fattens up as she lost a lot of weight laying 3 infertile clutches this year... So she didn't concieve the sperm from Ed their first breeding... So yes I will let you know if/when she is breed again this year, but I might wait until next year!

Anthony

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
beardedwizard":ba2a0 said:
Abi to answer your question on the stress marks... She's more comfortable in your hands as she's use to being held/moved around as this is how I help calm/socialize my babies in the first 2 months... So she is not yet use to her new cage/home, thus when you put her back in the cage she is unsure of her surroundings and thus the stress marks appear! If it's a glass cage please put up white paper on the back and sides. Thus she can curl up in a corner and feel safe, dragons will not feel comfortable until they know they can see where you are coming from. So always make sure that's from the front of the cage, otherwise you can freak them out!

If you have any more questions about this just ask, and I'm so glad you like your girl!!! And I will be looking to breed Violet to Adonis once Violet fattens up as she lost a lot of weight laying 3 infertile clutches this year... So she didn't concieve the sperm from Ed their first breeding... So yes I will let you know if/when she is breed again this year, but I might wait until next year!

Anthony

Anthony,
Thanks for responding. That's exactly what I was assuming, but I wasn't positive. I didn't want to stress her out too much during the first week she was here, so I tried to limit the amount of time she was out of her cage. I've been getting her out more and brought her into the living room to "watch" tv with us last night. At first she tried to run all over (which I didn't let happen, she's so small, I'm afraid she'll find a place that's hard to reach her), but after awhile she just relaxed on the towel I had her on and layed there until bedtime.
As for the cage, it is glass. I got one of those backgrounds online, not realizing how shiny it was and didn't help any to prevent her from seeing her reflection. But the cage is never opened from any side but the front and she seems to know this. I'm going to try to put some paper towels around the sides until she feels for secure (I don't have any big enough white paper and I'll still have to use a few sheets of paper towels to cover the glass all the way to the top)...if that doesn't work (I'll find out in a few minutes) I'll find something else that will.
I do have one question. She keeps "glass dancing", as I've heard this is what it's known as around here lol. I know it's normal, and she's still adjusting, but she keeps rubbing her nose on the glass and it's causing some discoloration...not a sore or anything...it looks a bit like when they are shedding but it's a bit "thicker" of a layer. I'm concerned that eventually she will cause it to become a sore and rub her nose raw. Any suggestions on how to prevent this? She literally just rubs her nose back and forth on the glass. She's shedding right now and I know that could be part of it. She does have rocks and other things to "rub" against. I'm just worried she's going to hurt herself if she continues to do this, although I haven't seen her do it the last few days.
Thanks,
Abi

jscott,
I'm still working on more pics, I haven't had much time to get any loaded on my computer though! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom