Introducing larger tank

Ralovely

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cricket
Today went from a 20 gal to a 67 gal tank. Concerned about lighting moved the old double zoo med to the left of larger tank top 75watt basking with a coil UV. I’m not sure if I should upgrade the basking bulb to 100 watt?? Purchased a 18in 5.0 UV for the left side of the larger tank also for additional UV and light. She definitely noticed the change of the tank and seems rather bothered but I’m hoping she will adjust. Is that common? I put her old carpet in hoping it would comfort her. She wouldn’t eat any crickets this evening but was able to get her to eat a few meal worms. This is my first beardie so I’m hoping to get some advice or any helpful suggestions.

Attachments

• 2A7F149A-5991-488F-8E38-894E49572318.jpeg
    2A7F149A-5991-488F-8E38-894E49572318.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 141

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes , they can get relocation stress just from being moved to a new home but it usually doesn't last too long. Don't give her too many mealworms , they can get spoiled and then refuse other insects. For the best uvb exposure I'd suggest moving the tube uvb next to the dome.

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Depends on the temperature in your new tank. Are you taking the temperature with a probe thermometer or something else? You’ll need those probes to measure the temp on the basking spot. If temperature and uvb isn’t up to par she might be lethargic and not eating.

If you can list the brand of uvb tube and the temperatures, people on this forum will be able to help you figure out the appropriate lighting for her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Today went from a 20 gal to a 67 gal tank. Concerned about lighting moved the old double zoo med to the left of larger tank top 75watt basking with a coil UV. I’m not sure if I should upgrade the basking bulb to 100 watt?? Purchased a 18in 5.0 UV for the left side of the larger tank also for additional UV and light. She definitely noticed the change of the tank and seems rather bothered but I’m hoping she will adjust. Is that common? I put her old carpet in hoping it would comfort her. She wouldn’t eat any crickets this evening but was able to get her to eat a few meal worms. This is my first beardie so I’m hoping to get some advice or any helpful suggestions.
Your tank looks nice but please upgrade the 5.0 bulb to a 10.0 bulb --- then you can leave on top of your screen it looks to be a wide hole type--- distance should be 8-10 inches directly above a piece of basking decor --- the 5.0 is more for aquarium use and not as strong as the 10.0 - please replace that bulb in approx one year I recommend 10-11 months -- please get rid of the coil UVB and they are no good and will cause all kinds of health problems --- your 18 inch is what brand please ?

Ralovely

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cricket
Your tank looks nice but please upgrade the 5.0 bulb to a 10.0 bulb --- then you can leave on top of your screen it looks to be a wide hole type--- distance should be 8-10 inches directly above a piece of basking decor --- the 5.0 is more for aquarium use and not as strong as the 10.0 - please replace that bulb in approx one year I recommend 10-11 months -- please get rid of the coil UVB and they are no good and will cause all kinds of health problems --- your 18 inch is what brand please ?
18 in is a zoo med with a reptison bulb.

Ralovely

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cricket
18 in is a zoo med with a reptison bulb.
This morning I went and purchased the UVB 10.0. I removed the coil UVB as suggested. I also purchased a new basking spot set up that brings my beardie closer to the lamp cause the basking spot just didn’t seem as hot as before. I can feel the difference by touch. The larger tank is taller and the screen on top better quality so I feel it blocks more the basking light. I currently use just a thermometer on the back of tank but ordered a laser that will be delivered today so I can get exact measurements on the basking spot and cool side.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This morning I went and purchased the UVB 10.0. I removed the coil UVB as suggested. I also purchased a new basking spot set up that brings my beardie closer to the lamp cause the basking spot just didn’t seem as hot as before. I can feel the difference by touch. The larger tank is taller and the screen on top better quality so I feel it blocks more the basking light. I currently use just a thermometer on the back of tank but ordered a laser that will be delivered today so I can get exact measurements on the basking spot and cool side.
You want digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps - I recommend two of them please -- the UVB should be 12-15 inches inside the tank when you get it

Ralovely

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cricket
You want digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps - I recommend two of them please -- the UVB should be 12-15 inches inside the tank when you get it
I’m gunna have to figure out how to hang that zoo med UVB inside imagine I can..getting 101 on the new basking level with the gun

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’m gunna have to figure out how to hang that zoo med UVB inside imagine I can..getting 101 on the new basking level with the gun
IR guns are good but sometimes off they cannot read off of certain materials - please invest in the digital probe thermometers -- I can post some things to use to hang w/

Ralovely

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cricket
She seems a bit more calm since I introduced a higher level of basking with the new tank
IR guns are good but sometimes off they cannot read off of certain materials - please invest in the digital probe thermometers -- I can post some things to use to hang w/
Please let me know..with the gun getting 102 she seems a lot more happy

Ralovely

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cricket
Lil lady keeps hanging out low but I do have a heating pad where she’s laying..102 with the gun at the highest point 89 at lower points..Im in northwest indiana and our temps just recently have dropped.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 82

Ralovely

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cricket
My beardie was getting rather slow and not eating as usual I had already used the UVB and had a 100w basking. I just recently increased the 100w basking to a 150w and she is just full of life right now, chasing her crickets again and acting like herself. I think the temp is finally correct for her and it also brought down the humidity which is a plus. I am a lil worried about the 150w light on the metal top. It is a really well built Repti zoo cage made for reptiles but can anyone tell me if 150 w on the metal top is too much?

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom