Introducing Beebz

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Beebz weighed in at 323g today and is a little over 18" long as well as I can tell trying to get him to be still for a measurement.

He's been busy the past few days, wandering around his enclosure a lot more and wall surfing in the mornings. I'm not sure if he wants out or it's something hormonal or if he just enjoys flailing at the wall but we've been letting him come out and either take a trip outside or just hang out on the bed for a bit when we catch him doing it.

He has been a bit obstinate with his roaches, sometimes he'll outright refuse them, sometimes he'll eat 3-4 and sometimes like tonight he'll come running for the bowl and glom down as many as I offer him.

I'm wondering if it's time to reduce his feedings to once a day. It's starting to seem like the times he eats well predominantly come after he mostly skips a meal anyway. I'll probably give it a few more days to see if things pick back up. I was glad to get him on the scale and see that he's still growing despite his pinworms and appetite weirdness.

After I weighed him I let him hang out on the bed for a bit. He wandered towards edge where there's a gap between the mattress and the wall and when I put my hand out to block him he curled up right inside it and went to sleep.
20230516_210441.jpg
20230516_210447.jpg

That made my day. It seemed genuinely affectionate and other than a lick on the finger now and again I really haven't experienced that with him before.

I felt bad putting him back in the enclosure as he always seems to get scared when I carry him. How do you guys handle that? When he was little he easily fit in my hands with my thumbs wrapped over him to keep him secure and stop him jumping. I still do it that way but now all his legs hang off and he tenses up and will sometimes puff himself up or starting kicking his feet and thrashing his tail.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Try putting him on your shoulder, hand over his rump. It gives him s chance to snuggle also.
Looks like he is starting to bond with you, your in for a treat.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Try putting him on your shoulder, hand over his rump. It gives him s chance to snuggle also.
Sometimes I do that once I've got him, and it works pretty well though sometimes his claws get stuck on my shirt.

It's more the first and last leg we have trouble with though when I'm bringing him to my body or placing him somewhere.
Looks like he is starting to bond with you, your in for a treat.
I hope so! He's definitely been more emotive the past couple weeks. As much as it frustrates me when he tries to pretend like roaches aren't food, it amuses me he is smart enough to campaign for super worms. He's a complicated little dude, with a lot of personality, but it's easy to miss it as he is so chill most of the time.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
We have taken to calling Sinatra velcro boy lmao. It takes both of us to get him loose from anything, especially clothing 😀

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Beebz is such a wierdo.

He got on one of his "I refuse to eat roaches" moods the night before last. I didn't think it was a big deal, he'd had a few that morning so I let him have mealworms and supers for dinner.

Yesterday was a flat no to roaches, so I didn't give him anything else. He did eat his salad, and one mealworm to see if it was just a roach issue. It was so he got no more bugs for breakfast and repeated the performance at dinner.

Breakfast today was the same, flat refusal to eat anything and I was getting a little worried about him so I tried to do dinner early and it started the same way.

I decided to at least try to get some calcium in him so I dipped my finger in the powder as he has licked it off before and offered. He went for it, licked it clean so I tried again. This time he grabs a hold of my finger and tries to take a bite off with his calcium! He planted his feet and pulled, no blood but I decided not to do that again :ROFLMAO:.

So I coat his roaches a little heavier than usual with power (I used powder without D3 since I didn't want to give him too much D3) and the little brat jumped into the food bowl and demolished about 30 roaches (they are small).

I'm going to make him wait a couple days before he gets worms again to try and get him to stop being so darn picky. I was really suprised the calcium is what finally convinced him to eat though.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Your lucky he isn't a little older, their bite can be pretty serious once they get a little size on them. But that is funny, my guys run the other way if they see powder. I have to set the bugs in and coat the bottom, and make sure they get it on the first try.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Your lucky he isn't a little older, their bite can be pretty serious once they get a little size on them. But that is funny, my guys run the other way if they see powder. I have to set the bugs in and coat the bottom, and make sure they get it on the first try.
Yeah it really didn't hurt, just a pinch, but he was definitely pulling pretty hard. I'll have to be more careful in the future, which is a bummer because I thought it was so cute how he'd lick my fingers clean after calcium dusting.

I'd heard from you and others members what a pain it can be to get some Dragons to take thier calcium, but Beebz likes to remind me he is an individual, and I guess he likes the taste. I may start cutting his D3 dusting with a little extra plain powder.

I always worry about him getting too much D3 as I know he has good UVB, and since it's fat soluble it can potentially build up and cause issues, so i dust very lightly. Perhaps as a result I've been shorting him a bit on the calcium.

He also baffles me by continuing to eat his salad while he's on a roach strike. Maybe he knows he gets more attention when he refuses to eat. He was out three times today so I could watch him run around and explore and assure myself he wasn't showing any symptoms of an underlying problem.

20230520_162155.jpg

I bought him a new bowl which was bigger than I intended and not quite smooth enough to prevent roach escapes. I was about to return it when he decided it made a great bed. He slept there two nights in a row so I guess it stays :cautious:
20230519_152207.jpg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
He looks fantastic, his fat pads are good, his tail is nice and thick, you've done great with him. As far as D3, as long as your uvb is on par he should be producing his own anyways. I don't think it makes that much beneficial difference and to much could cause problems. I don't use it that much personally and if i remember correctly Claudiusx said about the same thing in another thread.

OHHH btw theres no such thing as an escape proof bowl, if all else fail your dragon will stand in it so they can use him as a ladder 🤡🤡

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Beebz got a trip out to enjoy the sun today.
20230525_154909.jpg
20230525_155426.jpg

He got about 45 minutes to hang out and seemed to enjoy himself.

Then we went back in and I decided to weigh him so he waited patiently for me to set up the scale.
20230525_160436.jpg

Then I unzipped the carrier and it was my turn to wait patiently while he decided whether or. Ot he wanted to come out.
20230525_160758.jpg

Then he decided he didn't want to stay on the scale and kept running off.. Then he pooped on the floor, I guess he wanted to make sure the number was lower so I didn't feed him any less!

He was weighed in a 348 I think... or it could've been 338, he made a run for it and I had to catch him before I wrote I down :mad:

He is still demanding calcium powder on all his roaches. His urate had an orange tinge earlier this week but it's back to white so I guess he's not getting too much. He's still very active in the mornings and early afternoon wall surfing and nosing the front glass when I come by.

I ordered him a new hide that should come tomorrow. Yesterday he managed to cram himself into his old one with an opening his head barely fits through. I ended up getting him back out as I was afraid he'd end up stuck.

Then last night he was in his stump hide.

20230524_212425.jpg

So he'll be getting a new one he should be able to easily fit in.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
He looks like such a character, looks like he has personality for days.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
He looks like such a character, looks like he has personality for days.
He does.

My daughter had a makeup softball game so I was only able to feed him the one time today...

This was his response when my daughter came home and told him it was too close to lights out for dinner:
20230525_210208.jpg

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Beebz ate greens well today
20230531_132535.jpg

He continues to be an absolute pain with his roaches. I managed to get him to eat 10-12 by dusting them and feeding them one by one as he glared at me.
20230531_134619.jpg

As you can see the roaches aren't very big to begin with.

I've got other feeders coming but I'm afraid giving him more supers and mealworms is just going to feed into his stubbornness.

I worry he's getting too much calcium, he has had a orange tinged urate on and off, and has been less regular with his potty time. I've tried offering roaches without calcium only but he skipped a day and a half of feedings so I relented and started powdering them again.

He is still gaining weight, so I'm probably overthrowing the whole thing, but he eats less now than he did when he was half this size. Last I weighed him he was around 365g and about 19in

He has had more time out and about both in my daughter's room and outside this week. He seems to like running around the room.
20230529_174243.jpg

I got in big trouble when he tried to jump on this box missed and fell.
20230529_175700.jpg

Like evil eye for the next 10 minute trouble.
20230529_174937.jpg

Outside in his carrier he just chills so it's hard to tell if he's happy. I figure the sun does him good regardless.
20230528_142945.jpg

We made a little perch for him to look out the window, and he immediately climbed up the sill, grabbed onto the screen and started climbing:
20230530_181944.jpg

This was cute until he continued to climb, refused to let go and we spent the next 10 minutes trying to detach him without hurting his toes.
20230530_181955.jpg

Several times I thought a nail was badly stuck as I couldn't get it out only to have him easily release and grab onto another section of window just as tightly.

He's also beginning to shed again, which I'm hoping is at least part of the reason for his general stubbornness. I miss my agreeable little dinosaur who would happily nom down anything I put in front of his face. I don't think I'm ready for moody pre-teen Beebz!

Attachments

• 20230529_174243.jpg
    20230529_174243.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
He has character for days lol. It IS amazing how well they can hang on. (Looks like he wanted to be spidermanl lol) We have started calling Sinatra velcro boy because it usually takes both of us to detach him from our clothing 😄.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom