Introducing Beebz

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If your daughter is old enough to read, and has a cell phone then beebz probably DOES have a fan club lmao 🤣.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I replied in the other post, but I'll do so here also. She could just be stretching her beard, but it looked like maybe she was holding food in her throat and was trying to get it moving in the right direction. Dunners are known to do that, other morphs not so much I think 🤔

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Beebz is doing great, she's finally got her torso shed going well. Thanks for all the tips regarding humidity levels and toothbrush treatments.
20230311_115709.jpg

20230311_140438.jpg

120g finally shipped. Working on the stand tomorrow, and figuring out how to get her basking platform set up in there. Going to pick up some pavers when I get the wood for the stand.

Considering upgrading her light to the Arcadia 12% to give me more play with the height. Can't find a 34" on Amazon though, maybe I'll check my petsmart.

Ordered some bsfl and hornworms to give her a little variety from roaches. I have chickens so if the hornworms get too big they won't be wasted.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The 24 inch is plenty long enough, they need to be able to get out of the uvb also pif they want to.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
The 24 inch is plenty long enough, they need to be able to get out of the uvb also pif they want to.
Yeah but I already have a 34in fixture. Was gonna angle it a bit to leave plenty of shade. No good?

*edit* by angle I mean so it's mounted diagonally. Still pointed directly down

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
that will work fine. especially if you have a good size hide. it's all about being able to get out of the uvb if wanted/needed. i'd use it since you already have it.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i usually get mine from pangea reptiles but they are currently out. reptile supply co has them. i've ordered other items from them but not lights. didn't have any problems with the order.

Wholesale Arcadia D3+12% UVB T5 Bulb

which reminds me, i just replaced my light, so really need to order a back up for just in case. to the post-it notes!

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
i usually get mine from pangea reptiles but they are currently out. reptile supply co has them. i've ordered other items from them but not lights. didn't have any problems with the order.

Wholesale Arcadia D3+12% UVB T5 Bulb

which reminds me, i just replaced my light, so really need to order a back up for just in case. to the post-it notes!
Thanks for the link.. looks like a lot of places are out. Price is good too, but shipping cost almost as much as the light. >,<

May get it anyway, really prefer just mount the light directly to the inside of the enclosure with the screw in brackets that came with my fixture instead of playing around with zipties or wire dropping it down for my reptisun.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
yeah i noticed the shipping too. i'm going to keep looking around. if i find a better price i'll post for you. in general, i've noticed that the arcadia lights kind of cycle like that. you can find them, but then they're gone everywhere for a while.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
yeah i noticed the shipping too. i'm going to keep looking around. if i find a better price i'll post for you. in general, i've noticed that the arcadia lights kind of cycle like that. you can find them, but then they're gone everywhere for a while.
I went ahead and grabbed it. It'll save me more than $20 of stress and frustration trying to MacGyver an alternative.

Thanks for link

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i was thinking along the same lines. i might find another place that is cheaper, but at least this place i have done business with before with no problems. i'll pick one up in a couple weeks when my school term starts and i get my financial aid return.

they're the place i bought the super long grape vine for sir henry to use as a basking piece. how i have it set up gives him a range from about 6 inches to the floor at 24 inches. perfect for their ability to go where they need to be for UVB and i don't have to stress on measuring distances. only thing i have to worry about is basking temp and that's pretty easy to adjust with some trial and error.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
i was thinking along the same lines. i might find another place that is cheaper, but at least this place i have done business with before with no problems. i'll pick one up in a couple weeks when my school term starts and i get my financial aid return.

they're the place i bought the super long grape vine for sir henry to use as a basking piece. how i have it set up gives him a range from about 6 inches to the floor at 24 inches. perfect for their ability to go where they need to be for UVB and i don't have to stress on measuring distances. only thing i have to worry about is basking temp and that's pretty easy to adjust with some trial and error.
You don't worry about him getting closer than is good for him? I've heard the "they know what they need" theory. But there is a picture of Beebz earlier in this thread scaling her background to within a couple inches of the coil UVB I was using before I switched to the T5.

My probe gun measured the surface temp as
140f, and who knows what the coil was doing to her poor eyes. Then again, Beebz was just a couple months old, and is perhaps a bit of a dingdong. She no longer has any fake plants in her cage as after a disagreement over whether or not it was time to feed her lunch she took a fake leaf in her mouth and started shaking her head back and forth trying to break it free!

So now her basking light is in an inconvenient place and she has no decorations. My daughter told her "you are too stupid to have nice things". But we sure do adore the little goofball

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
nope, i don't worry about it at all. the 6 inch area is slightly to the side of the uvb, so even if he is up there all the way it is not 100% direct. his usual hang out spot is in the 12-15 inch range. as for the coil you had earlier, the issue there had less to do with the distance and more to do with those bulbs are just dangerous and don't provide adequate uvb at any range. we've had this set up for 2 years and his vet is a full on reptile vet that has worked in zoos and stuff like that. i've never had a reason to not trust what he said and in our first visit with him, i talked to him about the advice i getting on here which is what saved sir henry at rescue time before we found the vet. he agreed with all that was said so that is the information i pass on to newcomers. we just have to drive almost 2 hours one way to see him.

the probe gun is highly inaccurate depending on what it is reading off of, but i am pretty sure that has been addressed with you. if i am remembering incorrectly, let me know and we'll get you hooked up with the "pros". and remember, surface temp has absolutely nothing to do with uvb levels. sir henry has a separate basking light and piece of decor directly behind his uvb and grape vine. there is space that has both, but he moves back and forth between the two most of the time and ignores that overlap area.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom