Injured tail healing but color is changing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son’s 7 month old beardy injured his tale 1 1/2 weeks ago. We have been soaking it in diluted betadine 2x per day and alternating neosporin without pain relief and raw honey. We cleaned off all dead tissue. There is no smell, he has feeling all the way to the tip, the wound is now closing, the underside of the tail is not discolored. However his tail is turning gray. I spoke with a vet and sent him pictures on justanswer.com who suggests adding in an epsom soak. He could not tell if it’s infection or inflammation going up the tail. The tail is not hard and remains flexible. He eats,poops and acts normal. Is this normal healing or possible tail rot?
He eats 7 crickets/day, collard greens, greens peppers, and calcium powder.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No see if it down loaded if it did click on the pic it should post

Jmunderloh

Original Poster
[/img]
110545-6688357550.jpg
110545-5713064009.jpg
110545-6173681766.jpg
110545-3644574839.jpg
You can see where the normal brown of his tail is turning gray. The wound initial lost a lot of tissue that we removed and it has all filled in and straightened out. It was very crooked at first.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
AHBD will need to take a look---- it looks like parts of it are going to shed but I am not so sure on the other parts

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The grey color is not the problem, that's natural shed but you DO have a problem where the small section is white + the scales are gone. The tissue may be dead under there or infected and can travel up the tail under the scales without notice. It may need amputated a little ways up beyond the white area. I don't know if epsom salt will help but you might add that to what you're already doing .

Jmunderloh

Original Poster
The white part is where it has regrown new tissue and it has a glob of neosporin on it. It was down to the tissue surrounding the bones last week. It has regrown the scales on the sides so far and appears to growing them above and below that last soft spot. the tail below is still feeling, flexible and warm. No smell. I almost cut it off 5 days ago but gave it overnight and saw a big improvement after we cleaned out the damage/dead tissue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom