Infection

Beardie name(s)
LJ
Hello! My bearded dragon, LJ has been fighting an infection for quite some time now. In late November, I brought him to the vet for an impaction. While we were there, I also had them take blood and they found an elevated WBC count. They took X Rays and do not think he has a URI, however, will not tell me what he DOES have. When this all started, I heard him wheeze once or twice - so I am fairly certain it is respiratory. (I have not heard it since and the vet was made aware). They prescribed him .2ml Orbax, a broad spectrum oral antibiotic, every other day for 21 days (11 doses). We went back for re-check bloodwork and they found the WBC count got even higher. I had them culture it and he is not septic. The vet then gave him 200mg Excede injections once a week for 3 weeks. We are now at the 4 week mark and go back in four bloodwork tomorrow morning. I am not convinced LJ has completely cleared this infection; he still is mouth breathing, staying in one spot for most of the day, and gets crusties in the corners of his mouth. Although, he is still very alert and when he is outside of his enclosure, he will run around. He is also still eating like a champ. I do not believe it is a husbandry issue. He has an Arcadia T5 Pro 12% - farthest point 12". Basking Spot: 105-107. Middle Grade: 90-95 Cool side: 78-81. If indeed, he did not clear the infection - I am not sure what to do next. I know these little guys have weak kidneys and I do not want to give him more than he can take. The vet has told me numerous times that there are no possible issues to the kidneys, but every other resource tells me otherwise. I am praying that the infection is cleared and he just has the mouth breathing/messy eater quirks, but if not, what do you guys think I should do next? I want to be prepared for any outcome of the blood test results. I am not sure more antibiotics is the right choice? Thanks all. I love my little baby so so much. He is my other half and I am really scared. This is him:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 10.43.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 10.43.19 PM.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 68

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor LJ, that is very hard on them to have to be on antibiotics for quite that long. You don't
feel that he has gotten much better?
A lot of times they do well with nebulizer treatments because the medication penetrates into
the lungs more effectively helping to clear out debris.
Did they figure out what type of bacteria was present from the culture?
If you could try nebulizer treatments, you could go the route of colloidal silver for awhile, instead
of an antibiotic.
Are you keeping him warm overnight?
You are right, excessive antibiotic use can be hard on their kidneys. I would try to keep him as
hydrated as possible to help with that.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

nocontextlizard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
LJ
Hello,

Poor LJ, that is very hard on them to have to be on antibiotics for quite that long. You don't
feel that he has gotten much better?
A lot of times they do well with nebulizer treatments because the medication penetrates into
the lungs more effectively helping to clear out debris.
Did they figure out what type of bacteria was present from the culture?
If you could try nebulizer treatments, you could go the route of colloidal silver for awhile, instead
of an antibiotic.
Are you keeping him warm overnight?
You are right, excessive antibiotic use can be hard on their kidneys. I would try to keep him as
hydrated as possible to help with that.

Tracie
I’m still VERY suspicious that he is not feeling well…still. They are very vague with me and said they “found nothing in the blood culture; he’s not septic.” We will being going in today, in about an hour, so I will be sure to get the answer. His nighttime temps are 75-80! I will let you know the results of the blood test. Hopefully there will be no other step necessary, but if not, I will be sure to ask for the nebulizer. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your little one LJ doing?
Ok, the nighttime temperatures are good then. Definitely let me know when the blood test comes
in. At least he isn't septic so that is good.
Do ask about nebulization. It helps so much more than traditional oral treatments because it penetrates
the lung tissue more effectively.

Tracie

nocontextlizard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
LJ
Hello,

How is your little one LJ doing?
Ok, the nighttime temperatures are good then. Definitely let me know when the blood test comes
in. At least he isn't septic so that is good.
Do ask about nebulization. It helps so much more than traditional oral treatments because it penetrates
the lung tissue more effectively.

Tracie
His WBC count got even higher and they want to do an EPH to determine what the cells are reacting to. They also suggested I continue antibiotics in the meantime which I’m very scared to do

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom