Infection or tail rot?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Jenna that is extremely aggressive tail rot and needs to be amputates ASAP. See if you can get to an emergency vet tomorrow, tell them that this has happened in just 2 weeks, from the time you first noticed the dark spot that we now know was a wound. The infection can quickly travel up in to her body + sepsis will kill her. There is no other treatment that will stop it. I know it sounds scary but beardies usually do very well with amputations and bounce back pretty fast.

JennaDerp

Original Poster
Jenna that is extremely aggressive tail rot and needs to be amputates ASAP. See if you can get to an emergency vet tomorrow, tell them that this has happened in just 2 weeks, from the time you first noticed the dark spot that we now know was a wound. The infection can quickly travel up in to her body + sepsis will kill her. There is no other treatment that will stop it. I know it sounds scary but beardies usually do very well with amputations and bounce back pretty fast.
Thank you. I called my closest reptile vet and they said the soonest they could do is Monday morning which is about 3 days from today. Do you have any suggestions? I used the website and i see only one vet in my state offers reptile treatment. Do you have any suggestions in the meantime?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry Jenna, I don't have any suggestions because it's quite advanced now. The wound that was visible less than 2 weeks ago was evidently festering underneath and caused all that tissue to die. A vet needs to amputate it ASAP, I don't know if there's anyone else you can try that can get you in sooner.

JennaDerp

Original Poster
Sorry Jenna, I don't have any suggestions because it's quite advanced now. The wound that was visible less than 2 weeks ago was evidently festering underneath and caused all that tissue to die. A vet needs to amputate it ASAP, I don't know if there's anyone else you can try that can get you in sooner.

JennaDerp

Original Poster
Just wondering how the vet visit went, any updates ? I hope everything turns out O.K.
I took her to the vet. They gave her an xray, bloodwork, and prescribed her with some medications. She also poops about every 4 days. heres the medications if you guys are interested.
1% silver sulfadiazine cream (50 grams) (apply once a day)
0.14 mls oral injection of calcium (inject once a day) (this was because she was very slightly calcium deficient, and they said i could give her this to help)
and,
intermuscularly inject 0.4 mls of Fortaz every 72 hours.
I've been doing this since the visit.
Although, I talked to them and I told them I needed the amputation asap and they told me they could do it 10 days from now. I also have know idea what the cost will be, so if you guys have experience with that please let me know previous cost amounts. My previous appointment came to about 450.
The infection hasn't visibly risen up, but her bloodwork consisted of small evidence of muscle injury, slightly higher blood sugar (which they said is probably caused by stress from the injury), and an increase in monocytes. The white blood cell amount is also normal.
Her Xrays were also fine but they suggested I orally feed her calcium because she was slightly deficient (as stated before)
It has been a bit since her appointment, but I noticed leg tremors last night. She actually just pooped so the tremors didnt seem to stop her from that, but I am not sure what to do. This is the only exotic vet near me and they arent open today and they said the 15th was the soonest.
I'm at the point where i'm just trying to give her medications but I dont know what to do because since last night she has clearly been in pain.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good you got her in so quick, sorry that she seems to have tremors now. Did you mount her uvb in the tank, it's very important. So I thought that the vet was going to see her Monday and they should have done the amputation then. Is she eating ? If so, I would just make sure she has calcium on her food and try to limit the injections because these can be painful .Just use the calcium injection every other day or every 3 days to limit the pain. The fortaz is for infection so she needs that. I think I've read that amputation costs around $300-$500. You can search the threads here for amputation experiences and someone usually has a story and mentions the cost but clinics may vary as far as cost goes.

JennaDerp

Original Poster
That's good you got her in so quick, sorry that she seems to have tremors now. Did you mount her uvb in the tank, it's very important. So I thought that the vet was going to see her Monday and they should have done the amputation then. Is she eating ? If so, I would just make sure she has calcium on her food and try to limit the injections because these can be painful .Just use the calcium injection every other day or every 3 days to limit the pain. The fortaz is for infection so she needs that. I think I've read that amputation costs around $300-$500. You can search the threads here for amputation experiences and someone usually has a story and mentions the cost but clinics may vary as far as cost goes.
Sorry I said calcium injection but its not like a needle haha. Its just a syringe I put in her mouth. This is liquid and she just swallows it. Also, the vets said the amputation couldn't be done that day and that they wanted the antibiotics to kick in first or something. I've been calcium dusting all her food. She's still running around her cage and such but the tremors are making her unstable. I'm just not sure what's causing the tremors, because her legs and such were fine on the x-ray and the calcium deficiency was very very minor.

Last edited:

JennaDerp

Original Poster
83A64C10-78C9-401F-AD5D-C162EDC78213.jpeg
231805C3-DA94-47F3-B3FE-1D7136D2E3C0.jpeg
Hello. I’m commenting again cause it is getting very concerning. You can see how up the tail rot is in this picture. The vets ended up pushing back her appointment and i’m very concerned. What should i do? I feel like it’ll be too late by the time the appointment happens. Is there anything to do at home? I’m willing to amputate it at home if it’ll save her, i just cannot wait for the vet appointment as it is far from now and im concerned for her. They prescribed her antibiotics and what not but as you can see its really bad.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
View attachment 65832 View attachment 65831 Hello. I’m commenting again cause it is getting very concerning. You can see how up the tail rot is in this picture. The vets ended up pushing back her appointment and i’m very concerned. What should i do? I feel like it’ll be too late by the time the appointment happens. Is there anything to do at home? I’m willing to amputate it at home if it’ll save her, i just cannot wait for the vet appointment as it is far from now and im concerned for her. They prescribed her antibiotics and what not but as you can see its really bad.
Go to this website and see if you can find a reptile vet near you if your in a small area type in the largest cities zip code closest to where you live
www.arav.org

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, look for any vet that will take her. Why did the first one push it back , have they seen these pictures ?

JennaDerp

Original Poster
View attachment 65832 View attachment 65831 Hello. I’m commenting again cause it is getting very concerning. You can see how up the tail rot is in this picture. The vets ended up pushing back her appointment and i’m very concerned. What should i do? I feel like it’ll be too late by the time the appointment happens. Is there anything to do at home? I’m willing to amputate it at home if it’ll save her, i just cannot wait for the vet appointment as it is far from now and im concerned for her. They prescribed her antibiotics and what not but as you can see its really bad.
I just wanted to post an update for you guys, i know it’s literally years late, i couldnt find my login username, but i figured it would be helpful to others who are having this issue. I was able to have a vet appointment and it ended up being 2 seperate visits, 1 for bloodtests and such, and another for amputation. I was also giving her antibiotics every other day through a small needle in her arms. They also provided me with to put on her leg everyday, and i had to change the bandage around her tail frequently. The total for both these visits was around 1600 usd. She is in perfect condition now, if you have any questions i will try to answer

Attachments

• D0E99CE1-6CA9-416F-970F-EF2ACFF6AA87.jpeg
    D0E99CE1-6CA9-416F-970F-EF2ACFF6AA87.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 55

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom