Indecisive

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
So Nova has always been pretty chill. Nothing ever really bothers her but for the last day or two, she'll pace and surf insistently to get out. So we let her out. (Her lights are on a stand, the basking light hanging on an arm that we swing to the side to open the top of her tank) she gets out and just runs all over the bed like her tail is on fire. She wants to go here, then here, then the floor, no not the floor, I want back on the bed. On my boyfriend, on me, over where the light is shining on the bed from the stand. And then acts like she wants to go back in. So we put her back in, and repeat the process of the scratching and pacing. And her beard has been pretty black and streaked up the whole time and we can't figure out why. Any ideas.?

Nothing has changed, we haven't changed things in her tank or changed anything in the bedroom. She eats a small handful of roaches (on a *good day*, 30. An okay day, 15. Iffy day, like 6) and eats half, sometimes most of her salad. But even just basking, she'll be black and we don't know why. We thought it was Toothless running back and forth, banging on the glass and acting like a jackal so we cover their tanks when the other is out.

Attachments

• 20230118_175349.jpg
    20230118_175349.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 86

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Are you 100% positive nova is a girl? That sounds more like a males behavior.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you 100% positive nova is a girl? That sounds more like a males behavior.
That's common behavior when a female is looking for a place to lay eggs.
It's kinda just common for "hormonal"; male or female lol.

Acid, check to see if you can feel any eggs. Sometimes they do that when they are gravid, sometimes they do that when they are hormonal and looking for a suitable place in preparation for becoming gravid.

-Brandon

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless

Acid, check to see if you can feel any eggs. Sometimes they do that when they are gravid, sometimes they do that when they are hormonal and looking for a suitable place in preparation for becoming gravid.

-Brandon
She's only six months, can she be gravid this early.?

If so, what do we do.? I know she's lacking calcium (her breeder apparently didn't give her any and the only calcium we can get her to consume is on her salad and she only eats maybe half of it) and I don't want it to affect her, I guess, or cause the eggs to get impacted.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless

-Brandon
I checked her belly, and it's still real soft and no visible eggs and stuff and she isn't gaining a whole bunch of weight nor does she look bigger in her belly or down by her back legs or anything. She's chunky, but she's always been a bit of a chonk since we got her.

Attachments

• 16741450925852893108865027786569.jpg
    16741450925852893108865027786569.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 16741451681548790251741593366511.jpg
    16741451681548790251741593366511.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 40

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
6 months is when the hormones can start kicking in, especially for a dragon nearing adult size. So most likely not gravid, but most likely puberty :ROFLMAO:

-Brandon

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
6 months is when the hormones can start kicking in, especially for a dragon nearing adult size. So most likely not gravid, but most likely puberty :ROFLMAO:

-Brandon
Yeah, she's about 18 inches and 475g, so she's adult size. So you think puberty.? What can we do.? She's going to end up hurting herself climbing back and forth and jumping off her stuff to scratch and run around..should we take all her stuff but her basking hide.?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
You can use liquid calcium mix a little in water and fruit juice (none citrus) and give it to her with an eye dropper. I have discovered some is basicly tasteless but some taste horride so taste test it before you give it to her.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
You can use liquid calcium mix a little in water and fruit juice (none citrus) and give it to her with an eye dropper. I have discovered some is basicly tasteless but some taste horride so taste test it before you give it to her.
What do you think is causing this behavior.? It's like something in her tank is scaring her but we took everything out except where she basks, and her water bowl.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It's most likely like Claudiusx said and her hormones are changing. All of them I've raised from babies acted like that for a period of time. She should grow out of it.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
It's most likely like Claudiusx said and her hormones are changing. All of them I've raised from babies acted like that for a period of time. She should grow out of it.
Jeez, how long does it last. She's been scratching to get out for ten minutes now and I don't know what to do for her.

Attachments

• 20230119_174643.jpg
    20230119_174643.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 41

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Best i remeber it took mine a couple months to chill out.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Best i remeber it took mine a couple months to chill out.
we've only had two "it's almost spring" seasons so far, but i think that's about how long it takes sir henry to chill out when he's coming out of his lazy ass winter mode. absolutely enough to drive you bat s**t f*****g crazy!

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
we've only had two "it's almost spring" seasons so far, but i think that's about how long it takes sir henry to chill out when he's coming out of his lazy ass winter mode. absolutely enough to drive you bat s**t f*****g crazy!
It's driving us crazy. We live in georgia so it does get a bit cold here but it's been a mild winter, save for that cold front a few weeks ago. It hasn't really gotten below maybe 40. But they haven't been more lethargic so far, but they have slowed down on eating.

Whatever is going on with Nova has her attention to the point to where she's barely eaten the last two days.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom