Impaction problems! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parishak

Original Poster
Still nothing.
Surgery is the only option but I don't have the $2,000+ it will cost - and I don't want to risk her dying due to recovery complications or anything like that.

She still doesn't act sick at all, every other day I'm feeding her the slurry mixture so she's getting nutrients and liquid....she is just getting visibly weaker with her muscle mass - but still acts the same and walks around

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Keep doing what you're doing....at least she does not seem to be acting sick. Add a bit more veg. oil and raw honey to the mixture. You might also heat up a small room, like the bathroom using a portable heater , then let her run around in there. Sometimes a good " workout " along with heat will help move the bowels. Just be sure there is nothing toxic on the floor and no little objects that she could gobble up.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Jeez, $2000 for surgery but it would be a complicated one. I'm sorry nothing is helping her, maybe what ABHD posted might work. I hope she gets rid of what's in her soon!

Parishak

Original Poster
What would be a good substitute protein source for the time being?
I picked up turkey baby food - I understand turkey isn't something they eat in the wild - but for a temporary nutrient filler would it be OK?
She is still acting normal and alert - we are going on 8 weeks or so now. Yesterday she did poop a small amount, but not the piece I can feel sitting in her gut. She was running around and climbing too.
Thank you for the continued advice.....she's a trooper for sure.....

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, turkey would be O.K. By the way, did you take a pic of the poo ? It will be helpful to keep a log + post those pics here of what she is producing.

rlanguid

Hi there Parishak. I'm a little late to this thread but I feel like I'm currently going through the same issues that you're having with my little man.
Sam has been trying to have a bowel movement for the last 2 weeks or so. He hasn't passed a good, solid poo for about 2 weeks now, all around atleast 4 weeks since his very last one.
My thread is here, in case you'd like to see what he's going through:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=220637
(The most recent posts by me are what he's currently experiencing)

I had assumed that Sam has this constipation from his dehydration. Even with repeated baths and applesauce+mineral oil mixtures for a food source, he can only have very small excretions it seems, much like how you are describing. I have an image of his last movement if it would help.
On top of it all, I'm more than certain that he's trying to go into a shutdown/brumation too, which is leading our little man to being quite upset, not only extremely difficult to try to feed him. He's got a black beard almost 24/7. :(
I couldn't help but add my two cents in this thread though. I can definitely feel a mass near the lower-right section of his belly, and I'm sure it's where he's bound up. We have not taken him to the vet for this yet, and seeing what your surgery bill is, there's no way we can afford that either.
I do hope that you are able to see some progress in your baby, though! I'll keep on eye on this thread when I can.

Parishak

Original Poster
Hi all -

It's been a total of 12.5 weeks since Charlie girl took a full poop. I can still feel the solid log sitting inside her.
Charlie still acts completely normal: holds herself up during the day, eyes are bright and alert, very responsive to any stimuli, maintains bright color, has an appetite....
She just has less muscle mass - but since she's been on a liquid diet for months - not surprised.

She pushes out urate 2-3 times a day, and leaves small light-brown spots behind from liquid. Once a week, she is able to get a jelly-like substance out, picture also included.
There has been one piece of poop about the size of a marble - upon dissection it appears to be walnut shells and dubia roaches, with some other grassy-substrate (likely from my frog tank) - just as I, unfortunately, expected. Pictures below.

I'm not sure if it's endless love, or this routine I've been keeping up - but I hope the following information can help another impacted dragon in the future:
CHARLIE'S MEAL:
- 1/2 teaspoon of Critter Care Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon Carnivore Care Mix
- pinch of calcium + pinch of multivitamin (Repti-Cal)
- prune/squash/apple baby food
- Pedialyte

I keep the vitamins and mixes in the freezer to preserve freshness

Warm up Pedialyte, mix in some baby food. Add liquid mix to the powder food - either viscous enough to go in a syringe to feed - or I make a mush-like consistency that she eats. Follow with liquid Pedialyte alone (approx 3 ml)
I feed her this every other day, paired with warm water baths each day. Heat lamp or heat pad - lots of cuddles and love.
If anything changes - I'll be sure to update - but until then, Charlie is still smiling and happy.
84586-4230381600.jpg
84586-1622811491.jpg
84586-3239858714.jpg
84586-1317965067.jpg
84586-4381609508.jpg
84586-8081495487.jpg
84586-3306773370.jpg
84586-6343136667.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that your routine sounds pretty good. She looks good and is nice and alert which is also a good sign. I'd keep it up while her spirits are good.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Charlie sounds like she is doing well, despite those issues right now!
As long as she has good spirits, just keep up the regime you are following right now. Hopefully, eventually it will break up & pass through for her. She is a great looking girl! :D
Does she get enough exercise?

Tracie

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You mentioned walnut shell, is that her substrate? If it is, please get rid of it, it could be what is impacting her. Paper towels, newspaper any solid substrate will be better.

I'm hoping she's able to slowly get rid of the mass in her because I can sure understand why you can't afford the surgery. I've never heard of a surgery being that expensive. The most I've ever paid for a surgery (to spay my female Puff) was $525 all inclusive, so maybe talk to the vet to find out what is so expensive!

Good luck and thanks for continuing to post.

Parishak

Original Poster
hello!

Walnut shells were removed 2 months ago - she just has a terry cloth towel in there and nothing foreign to possibly get down her throat - I'll double check with some more vets...thank you for providing the comparison figure.

Thank you for all of the feedback!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom