Impacted or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my beardie is about 5 years old now. She has always pooped only 1-3 times a week, but I've only had her since she was about 3. She has always been on the schedule of insects once a week and veggies the rest. It has come to my attention that insects (especially super worms) take a lot longer to digest than veggies. However, not knowing this, during the past 4 weeks since I was home all day, I decided to give her about 5-6 supers a day just because I was bored. And for the past 4 weeks, she has not been pooping much. Once she went without pooping for 9 days! The week before last, I started school and didn't have much time to give her insects and she pooped three times within 5 days. But last week I gave her supers every few days. Last week according to my dad, she ate 15 supers in a sitting! She has done this before and has been fine but she hasn't pooped in 12 days. Her poop after the first 9 day period with no poop looked fine, not bloody, not runny not smelly. I just don't understand. My vet said she isn't looking impacted. She is still eating like a pig and acts normal but no poop! I figured that if I felt her belly I would feel hardened up poop if she was impacted, but her belly feels like its totally normal! I am really worried, it would be cool if someone could help me out. I bathed her and rubbed her belly today but nothing. I mean she doesn't have any lumps in the stomach, it feels empty. Please help! :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....keep up the warm baths...you might make it a bit warmer than usual, sometimes that will work. You can also try some natural " laxatives "....get some baby food prunes, sugar free applesauce, or canned pumpkin [ with no spices ] add a few drops of olive oil and a few drops of raw honey. If you can't get the honey, the other stuff should do the trick if you can get some into her. :) She should be fine, though !

miloandrufusdragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi thanks for the quick reply. Do you think it is an impaction? Or just her taking a while to digest her worms. I mean she is really active always and she is a voracious eater for both veggies and worms. If it was an impaction, wouldn't his poop be bloody and wouldn't I feel a hard lump(s) in her stomach? :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, the combination of what AHBD suggested should really help. I did want to mention that 15 supers at one time is too much for her though so would definitely recommend cutting that back.

How are her tank temps & what type of thermometer are you using? Does she eat her greens?

miloandrufusdragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi there. I agree with cutting back on the supers, but I think it does sound like she just had a little too much supers. I'll cut back to once a week and I'm looking to try phoenix worms as a staple. I only have one dragon so its not too expensive. Her cool side is about 80, her hot side is around the high 80s or low 90s and her basking spot is a toasty 99-104. I use a infrared temp gun. None of that dial crap. As far as greens go, she's kinda funny, a month and a half ago, she loved her greens, but now if I put in greens she ignores it, but if I put in carrots or pumpkin, she charges down lol. But can you guys tell me if you think its an impaction or just she's taking forever to digest her supers? Thanks for the help. I'll try the olive oil, I think I can just drip it on her nose and she will lick it up. What kind of olive oil should I use? I know that I have extra virgin olive oil.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't think it's impaction....she is just taking a long time to pass it through. I agree with reducing the amount of superworms. If you can get hornworms , they are full of moisture so they pass through very easily, but variety is the best for your dragon. Keep offering greens along with the pumpkin, she should regain her interest after a while. :) And any veg. oil is fine.

miloandrufusdragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah. I thought it couldn't be impaction just cause her belly feels empty per se. There aren't any hard lumps. And I also heard that when impacted they won't eat out move. But she's eating and active. I'll just try the phoenix worms. The Hornswollrms seem tough to take care of lol.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that it doesn't sound like impaction either otherwise she wouldn't be acting normally. Horn worms are a big help loosening things up and they really like them. Silk worms are very good too. Have you ever tried turnip greens? Our beardies love those as well as dandelions.

Good that you're using a temp gun to ck the temps.

miloandrufusdragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate the help. Will try horn worms. I just don't like that they grow so fast. I hope they're not too big for her.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, they do grow fast especially in humid weather. You have to make sure to put the cup upside down & on a slant (I use a wooden spoon) so that the waste falls down & be sure to dump the waste off daily, otherwise it can sour the chow.

You can specify the size that you want, maybe get real small ones with a few mediums for eating right away. I order mine from here: www.lindasgonebuggie.com They come from Indiana & I get them in NY in 2 days.

miloandrufusdragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh cool! Yeah I think she could use softer foods. Its kinda my fault as I just overloaded her with supers and its been taking like 10-12 days for her to digest BC theres so many she ate. But she is acting normal and has no hard lumps in her tummy. Adults just have a slow metabolism and the fact that she ate so many hard bodied supers isn't helping.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, it is a little harder for them to digest the supers and for them to pass through. Soft bodied worms are a great help. And, you're exactly right, their metabolism does indeed slow down as they age.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds good. Maybe pick up a 2nd feeder to use until you get some horns or silkies or cut back on the supers in the meantime.

Does your beardie bask quite a bit?

miloandrufusdragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She basks daily but not for hours like other people say. I guess shes boss and she knows how hot she wants it. She spends a good amount of her day in the warm end beside her basking rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom