Im stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jkg

We have a 2 year old Beardie who is really picky about eating and tries to grab food a few times and then gives up. Almost like it's too far away but right under his nose? It's gotten so he has one completely sunken fat pad and has me so worried we are syringe feeding him. I've gone over everything- Temps and food variance and more baths etc. Is he....this moody? What else can I do? This is our first beardie.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We have a 2 year old Beardie who is really picky about eating and tries to grab food a few times and then gives up. Almost like it's too far away but right under his nose? It's gotten so he has one completely sunken fat pad and has me so worried we are syringe feeding him. I've gone over everything- Temps and food variance and more baths etc. Is he....this moody? What else can I do? This is our first beardie.
Dragons will not eat if dehydrated -- please start dropping water on his nose or eye dropper or get him in a bath and see if he will drink -- do not let him drink too fast -- he will aspirate -- if he does pull him up and slow him down -- please go over his UVB tube or coil? Brand and bulb? Where in the tank is it ? If its a long tube fixture how old is it -- Basking temps should be surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 95-100-- these are the key to eating ---- we will start there

Jkg

Original Poster
We give him water drops on his nose and use a little bottle to get some in his mouth. He never drinks in the bath or from a dish. He has a mercury vapor bulb which we test with the UV card for output. One side of the tank is 75-80 and his basking side is anywhere from 95-110 depending on how high he gets towards the light.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We give him water drops on his nose and use a little bottle to get some in his mouth. He never drinks in the bath or from a dish. He has a mercury vapor bulb which we test with the UV card for output. One side of the tank is 75-80 and his basking side is anywhere from 95-110 depending on how high he gets towards the light.
MVB brand and bulb please and is it on the screen or hanging above the tank -- those UVB cards are not reliable -- if the MVB is on the screen the UVB rays are being blocked 30% --- we recommend a MegaRay or a Solar Glo -- but we also recommend getting a long tube fixture like a 24" Zoo Med w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 for tanks 40 + gallon or a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb - they are some of the best on the market -- I would do this right away this is a good reason hes not eating -- he needs to be able to absorb his calcium hes eating - if hes not getting any UVB he wont eat - also how old is the MVB ? they need to be changed out every 6 months -- we need to get your lighting straighten out first - are you getting temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? Stick ons are inaccurate for basking temps and certain materials will give inaccurate temps w/a IR gun example hammocks --

Jkg

Original Poster
MVB brand and bulb please and is it on the screen or hanging above the tank -- those UVB cards are not reliable -- if the MVB is on the screen the UVB rays are being blocked 30% --- we recommend a MegaRay or a Solar Glo -- but we also recommend getting a long tube fixture like a 24" Zoo Med w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 for tanks 40 + gallon or a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb - they are some of the best on the market -- I would do this right away this is a good reason hes not eating -- he needs to be able to absorb his calcium hes eating - if hes not getting any UVB he wont eat - also how old is the MVB ? they need to be changed out every 6 months -- we need to get your lighting straighten out first - are you getting temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? Stick ons are inaccurate for basking temps and certain materials will give inaccurate temps w/a IR gun example hammocks --

Jkg

Original Poster
It's inside the tank. And I have a digital probe. 102 basking. 80 below where he is hiding.

Jkg

Original Poster
SmartSelect_20220409-125045_Gallery.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What brand are you using? So temps are good-- so I am guessing its the UVB for the reason hes not eating -- hes not getting enough -- I would get another UVB as posted above as soon as you can -- placement will determine on the screen -- do this right away please

Jkg

Original Poster
I cant recall which brand- so use both?
I'll go grab one now. Can it sit on top then? I have nosy cats.

Jkg

Original Poster
I should clarify, he eats a few worms, he ate a hornworm last night. Just...not voraciously.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I cant recall which brand- so use both?
I'll go grab one now. Can it sit on top then? I have nosy cats.
Most pet stores do not carry what I posted only the T 8's --- you can look for either UVB fixture I posted make sure you take what ever you have your using to get these post so you have the info w/ you --- what do you mean by "use both" --- you want one good basking bulb which is that MVB good for heat only and one good UVB of which I sent links for

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Where should I purchase one then?
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up the distance and placement is different from the 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO this one you need
or this one 24" Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
Please let me know when you get it this place is fast and good they should ship on Monday Fed Ex
try your pet stores see what you find -- you can call them and ask what they carry -- in the store --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom