Iguana injured, found in parking lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No pics there, the link says it's an error. But glad to hear that the swelling is going down. If she's able to hold his head up, fill a plastic tub with about 3" of warm water [ about 85F ] and set her in there for 5 minutes. Put the water in before you put her in so the noise + motion of water pouring in doesn't frighten her. If she poos in it get her out right away. Afterwards, put her right back in her tank to warm up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great to hear the swelling has gone down! I hope she is feeling better.
I hope her appetite is improving, too. It sounds like she is going to make a recovery, though slow, but she is lucky she has you helping her out! :D

Tracie

Eckabeb

Original Poster
Sooooo we went to the vet today. The Iguana is definitely a girl. :D They said she's also pretty docile.

Now down to the medical. She had 3 fractures: the right front shoulder, the left wrist (I think it was the wrist), and the right back leg. Her eye was cleaned up and he said she still had an eye in there but it's sunken in a little.

He put stints across her back and hind legs to give that right leg more stability. He bound her right arm to her body to help the shoulder to heal. He also wrapped the left arm a bit for the other fracture. She can't really move due to all her limbs being bound in one way or another, but she can roll/flip like an alligator, which is terrifying to find out she can do when she's in your lap and you're driving on the interstate. Lol

He told us not to get her wet because of the stints. He said she should be ok without the misting/soaking for now as long as we have a waterbowl or two in the tank with her. He made an offhand comment saying we're pretty humid down here so she won't run into any problems temporarily. We can drip water on her nose for her to drink. My husband did that earlier and she did drink some.

Oh, and in the xray he found a bunch of rocks in her tummy. So we're really hoping she doesn't get or is not impacted. She hasn't pooped since we found her, but she also hasn't eaten either.

So in a week we have to bring her back to make sure everything is still tight and she's ok. This iguana is hurting my pocket book bad. D: We paid 265$ for all of that... so I guess we have ourselves an iguana. Now to think of a name for her...

Also, I have a quick husbandry question. I read lots of people use the mercury bulb for Iguanas because it brightens their colors and does both heat and uvb, so what is a good wattage to use? Any brand work better for you than others? We have one (which she's using at the moment) extra ceramic clamp lamp that can hold up to 75 watts.

Eckabeb

Original Poster
Sorry for no closeups. It's been a long day and I'm off to bed, but I thought y'all might like to see how silly she looks now. Poor girl.

2udugrr.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor little girl all bound up. At least you know what's going on with her and hopefully she'll get better quickly. Maybe she'd enjoy a smoothie made of greens with a pinch of calcium mixed in, she's young and could use the nutrients.

I've used the Powersun MVB by Zoomed but it only comes in a 100 or 125 ....you might have to shop around for a brand that comes in a low wattage like 75, I don't know if there are any actually. You might be best off buying a new clamp lamp for $10 at Lowe's or Walmart that is rated to hold at least 175 or 200 watts.

scorpius

She appears rested in all those bandages and happy to hear her eye is still present, I hope she passes the rocks with no problem , and so far everything looks good

You are doing a wonderful job in helping her out and being an intelligent creature I am sure she appreciates it

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I posted in your new link in the Iguana forum. :D
Ellie sounds like she is doing well right now, you are doing great! Have you gotten any food into her?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom